PDA

View Full Version : Tuning the AirArms CD Trigger

essjay
04-03-2008, 03:03 PM
I once posted this photo-guide on the old AirArms Owners website but realised that it may be more useful here. I'm not sure if it's already covered on the BBS.
If not, perhaps Edward can move it to the Useful Tips section.

The guide applies to the trigger unit for the ProSport & TX rifles and polishing the sears should make a noticable improvement - well it did to mine :)
Be careful not to round over the sharp edges, just remove any roughness and then polish the sear faces. I used fine wet/dry paper.

You will find that the trigger unit can be cocked whilst off the rifle so that you can roughly set the weight and stages before reassembly.
As with all trigger adjustments, test it safely before use.
You must accept complete responsibility for any adjustments you make.

(If anyone's wondering what picture1 was - it's just the trigger block. I can't upload more than 5 piccies, so I omitted it)

Gwylan
04-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Well done..! A good guide, but I would use Autosol chrome polish on a dremel to finish off the sears. People rave about the Rekord trigger, but the CD is better when fettled. (I know its a copy..!) A final improvement is to fit an MPR trigger, it takes a bit of filing or grinding to fit, but I had to use a trigger shoe to lengthen the standard reach on my TX, and the damn thing was always falling off..!

Gus

nibbley-uk
04-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Its funny you should put this on here as i have just finished polishing my trigger on my Tx and now it feels sweet.

nibbley-uk
04-03-2008, 04:20 PM
By the way does anyone know where i can get the front fixing plate for the tx mk 3 as one of the stock fixing threads has worn so i need to replace it.
Im sure AA would charge more than enough for a small part like that so does anyone know of other sources for this part.

sparky
04-03-2008, 04:22 PM
By the way does anyone know where i can get the front fixing plate for the tx mk 3 as one of the stock fixing threads has worn so i need to replace it.
Im sure AA would charge more than enough for a small part like that so does anyone know of other sources for this part.

Have you got a part number

Pete

The Reverend
04-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Julian Bond (jbb) on here, he supplies me and the entire AAOC with all the spares we need. :cool:

nibbley-uk
04-03-2008, 04:56 PM
he part number is TX 415
I will try Jbb also.
Cheers chaps

nibbley-uk
04-03-2008, 05:33 PM
wonder why the post got moved ?????

rockdrill
06-03-2008, 02:24 PM
People rave about the Rekord trigger, but the CD is better when fettled.(I know its a copy..!)

Not exactly - the CD trigger unit is more properly a slightly simplified copy of the Venom Mach 1 trigger unit (I believe both the Mach 1 trigger and the CD were designed by Ken Turner, based on the operating principal of the Rekord).

Gwylan
06-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Not exactly - the CD trigger unit is more properly a slightly simplified copy of the Venom Mach 1 trigger unit (I believe both the Mach 1 trigger and the CD were designed by Ken Turner, based on the operating principal of the Rekord).

I know what you mean Dale, when I said, "copy," I meant that the sear arrangement, and action of the CD unit is based on that of the Rekord. There are several improvements, especially with the adjustments, and the CD unit is better made, IMO.

Gus

jaffaman
11-03-2008, 07:07 PM
I once posted this photo-guide on the old AirArms Owners website but realised that it may be more useful here. I'm not sure if it's already covered on the BBS.
If not, perhaps Edward can move it to the Useful Tips section.

The guide applies to the trigger unit for the ProSport & TX rifles and polishing the sears should make a noticable improvement - well it did to mine :)
Be careful not to round over the sharp edges, just remove any roughness and then polish the sear faces. I used fine wet/dry paper.

You will find that the trigger unit can be cocked whilst off the rifle so that you can roughly set the weight and stages before reassembly.
As with all trigger adjustments, test it safely before use.
You must accept complete responsibility for any adjustments you make.

(If anyone's wondering what picture1 was - it's just the trigger block. I can't upload more than 5 piccies, so I omitted it)
Just got a pro elite and this is just what I was after,cheers for this,Andy:)

mikemorton
23-03-2008, 12:44 PM
OK chaps, this is a really basic question in which I expose my lack of DIY skills and blokeness:

What tool do I need to drive out those pins neatly?

I'm also looking for something (same tool I guess?) to get the pins out of my Sako Finnfire bolt so I can disassemble it.

TIA

MM

Gamolvr
11-04-2008, 09:45 AM
autosol is embeding i think, there are better kinds of polishes from toolmakers/gunsmith supply stores. (like Brownells)

jim3141uk
14-09-2008, 09:49 AM
I read somewhere that it was a 3mm pin punch to drive out the trigger pins.

Best,

JV

Neil Mc
19-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Hi any tips on adjusting a TX SR trigger.

rockdrill
29-09-2009, 02:05 PM
The SR trigger is the same unit, only the blade set up is different.

cocopops
10-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Just a short note, I found site on the web a year or two ago which went into great detail about tuning an AA S410 trigger , its excellent and I'm sure it was colgate toothpaste I used for polishing my sears as recommended by the site. So search the web for Air Arms S410 trigger tuning and it'll cover everything needed.

Parabuteo
10-11-2009, 04:28 PM
Thanks for that, well put together (scuse pun:D).

I have both a TX and PS, so will do some tinkering when I get time...the summer then:rolleyes:

Just a thought, but a really good, gunk free way of polishing is to use micromesh if you can get it.

Rubber cushioned and leaves no mess, and unlike a dremel, it wont polish edges you dont want it to (although I love my dremel....it's an electrical swiss army knife:D).

audi80
10-01-2010, 10:14 AM
The tool/s you need is a ROLL PIN PUNCH SET. Buy the best you can, but not the long ones. :D :D :D :D

Raffaz
10-01-2010, 06:31 PM
If you goto the airarms owners forum there is a guy on there who does all the parts. Look here http://www.airarmsownersclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=113 im sure he will be to sort you out. :)

Raffaz
10-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Done a full trigger polish on my prosport a few weeks ago at the same time i done the full internal tune and its shooting sweet now. :)

rossfish
09-06-2010, 10:41 AM
I'll try this out as so many of you have successfully improved your triggers - i'll let you know how it goes.

MarinaWilson
21-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Very helpful information you have given here.....

Slurm
23-06-2010, 10:23 PM
hi i have a tx200 mk1, and have never liked the trigger pull, its not very intuative, how adjustable is it, im worried ill make it worse as my air gun technical know how goes as far as loading a pellet.

AINSY
27-06-2010, 07:44 AM
Hi....did this to my pro-sport made a very noticable difference to how somoothly the trigger opperated
Very impressed thanx

bikerider
29-08-2010, 08:08 AM
Sent mine to Steve Pope,came back well sorted.

Smudge9123
29-08-2010, 09:43 AM
very useful thanks

trevor
13-09-2010, 07:33 PM
this has helped lots thanks!

Iced Tiger
07-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Sounds like a good fettle for my TX, I could even use the polishing kit I use for my bike alloy.:cool:

ken moran
08-11-2011, 08:02 PM
People rave about the Rekord trigger, but the CD is better when fettled,

Common thing, the standard item 'tuned up' is often better than the more expensive replacement.

2e0jkk
20-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Great pics and not too bad to do cheers for the info

ken moran
21-11-2011, 08:04 PM
People say not to use nails to drive pins out, as the nails are pointed and flare the end of the pin, but they are fine if you grind the point off squarely

Ravman
07-01-2012, 10:43 AM
People say not to use nails to drive pins out, as the nails are pointed and flare the end of the pin, but they are fine if you grind the point off squarely

But you can buy a set of pin punches from the bay for 7.00 inc postage. I did last week.

Anyway, I stripped my CD trigger unit yesterday and gave the bits a good old polish. I'm a bit of a mechanical noob but I guess I'm not the only one on here. After reassembling I couldn't get the gun to cock. I posted a query about this last night on the main forum and received two helpful replies - I thought I'd pass on my comments.

First of all, is it worth doing?
Definitely!
The trigger is a totally different beast now. Light and precise first stage coming to a clearly defined stop before second stage - it's beautiful!

Two pitfalls I found:
1. Make sure you approximate the same or similar trigger-weight when putting your unit back together. If you follow this guide you will be removing the trigger-weight screw, so make a note of it's position so that you can copy it when reassembling.
2. Make sure the safety button is relocated correctly. Both factors can influence how the gun cocks.

Thanks everyone:).

D_H_P
14-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Another rather basic newbie question.
What product would you re-lube this with?
And where would you put it?

Ravman
14-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Another rather basic newbie question.
What product would you re-lube this with?
And where would you put it?

I used Bisley gun oil. AA recommend putting a drop or two on the safety button once in a while, so that it tracks into the CD housing once the safety is clicked in I suppose.
Anyway I don't think you need to use anything special.

D_H_P
14-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Thanks.

danjutt
11-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Will the tuning shown on this thread help remove the "creep/ spongeyness" i have on my tx?

Thanks

mattycons59
11-01-2013, 07:44 AM
If anyone who has done this is reading this, what problems did you encounter when dismantling the trigger unit?

Ferrets Bueller
11-01-2013, 08:39 AM
None, its really easy, just take your time, following the guide.

gtott
11-01-2013, 03:25 PM
A very worth while mod and just two things to add:D

While you have your pride and joy apart you could also think about mirror polishing
the mushroom as well, you will notice after you have how much smoother it will cock
and its quieter as well.

Secondly while you are there with your sears and block in pieces give the adjusting
screws a polish as well (the ends that is )it helps your fine adjustments no end.

Rik

GAV1N
01-02-2013, 08:31 AM
You never need an excuse to mirror polish your mushroom! Just don't get caught.

DaveC_24
09-08-2013, 02:19 PM
Tried this with my TX200 this week: stripped the trigger, polished the contact surfaces to a mirror finish and re-lubed with a bit of moly grease. I then decreased the travel of both stages bit by bit, resetting dry-firing the trigger block as I went. I found that by doing this, I was able to get the trigger light but sharp with a clear second-stage despite it being light, and no creep or "sponginess" to speak of.

The pressure feels different to when there's spring pressure on the rifle but it gives you a good idea of the stages if nothing else - set the trigger pressure a shade lighter than you'd want it and then put it back in the rifle and try it out. Remember of course to test the rifle by loading it then (whilst pointed in a safe direction) giving it a few firm smacks from different directions to see if knocking it will set it off. Obviously you don't want the trigger so light that this occurs!

I think it's worth the hour and a half to two hours I spent on it, so will be doing the same to the trigger unit on my Pro Sport soon. :)