PDA

View Full Version : S-16 Any Good

allymax
22-05-2004, 09:11 PM
Been looking about for a new gun, will be PCP, pref multishot, and a local shop had a good deal on an s/h S-16

I seem to remember a few people slagging them off on here. Opinions anyone ?

Cheers,

Ally.

Davestate
22-05-2004, 09:20 PM
Do a search, IIRC, only 1 person has had a good thing to say about them compared with xxx saying their crap.;)
Good backup it appears from the importers though.:D

allymax
22-05-2004, 09:37 PM
Dave,

Thanks, done a search.......don't think I'll bother with the S16 :D :D :D

Cheers the noo,

Ally.

nutshot
22-05-2004, 09:46 PM
How many of those who slag them actually own an s16 .
Im on my second and yes my first one did pack up. But while it worked it was as good as any other rifle in my collection and a good bit better than some .When I had a problem it was soon sorted by simmons .
I have 11 differant air guns and if i was to sell one it would not be my s16 .
Down side is very hard to sell if you want rid as everybody on here slags them.

allymax
22-05-2004, 09:50 PM
Fair comment mate. I don't know if any of the folkses with unkind words to say were really users, but a search on here certainly doesn't do a good advertising job for them S-16 thingies. I'll probably stick to something a bit more 'traditional' I think.

On another subject (nearly), what's it like filling a PCP from a hand pump, is it a ballache or is it easy enough ??????

nutshot
22-05-2004, 09:53 PM
Filling a large bottle like an s16 with a hand pump is hard work !!!
Filling a normal pcp is no sweat though.
Still better to get a dive bottle though .
Nick

Karlos.
22-05-2004, 09:59 PM
Pumps are a chore you don't need:D get a bottle if you intend to do a lot of shooting.

S16? You might be right there nutty. I have never owned one, but I was interested in one untill I tried one out for a while. Admittedly it was one of the first batch, but it was garbage to use for any length of time.

I would say if you like that type of rifle try one out, but there are many other options for the same money that are so much better than the S16. Add in the fact that it's easier to get rid of Herpes than one of these, and they are far from an attractive option.

allymax
22-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Cheers for that mate.

Borrowed an S200 today, a bit 'blocky' (I know that word doesn't really mean anything, but thats what came into me head when i picked up the S200). Shoots well enough but a bit of a bummer with the old regular refilling (esp. in 177).

Want to try out an S410 next, cause the single shot was a little cumbersome, trying to drop pellets in under the scope with my little stubby fingers :) :)

Need to look for diving shops in my area next too......

Cheers the noo,

Ally.

(PS I wonder why SMK don't make a PCP ???) :p :p :p :p :p

adam_thrower
22-05-2004, 10:31 PM
Also if you can get your hands on one, try a S10 Carbine. Mine works faultlessly time after time and has possibly the best trigger going. Only MHO, but is one to Consider

Andrew006
22-05-2004, 10:55 PM
You will find most people who slag the S-16 have either never had one or only had a mk1 (which were bad). The sorted ones are good, real good. If you follow the instructions and use accupells, you would have a super multi-shot, take down airgun.

I have had most models of PCP and am about to get my second S-16 (I like em that much):) Some other top guns also have their failings if not looked after etc. So its best to try before you buy.

all the best

andy

:)

Taff Williams
23-05-2004, 06:40 AM
Ally,
I thought that I was the "one" refered to by Davestate in his first reply. I'm all in favour of the S16, I bought one on looks alone, had an initial problem which was most likely caused by me using the wrong lube - Simmons sorted it out and I've have more than a year of trouble free airgunning since. It helps if your on the large side as most people say that the S16 is built for gibbons. If you get it, read the manual, follow its advice and if you do come across something out of the ordinary, ask for help before trying to fix it yourself.

HTH

Ogri the trog

Johnny - Sweden
23-05-2004, 06:50 AM
Havenīt you seen the Straightshooters site yet...?

They lift the crappy S-16 to heaven..

:D :D :D

You see - they have a Mk II model and it is in full power...

:p :p :p

To be honest - this is a gun made in Slovakia and the quality is just what one can expect from such a gun.

IMHO it is way to heavy with a very strange balance, the quality of those I have used were kind of "American"....(a Crosman feeling).

Andrew006
23-05-2004, 07:58 AM
:rolleyes:

dazzpol
23-05-2004, 11:40 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by nutshot
[B]How many of those who slag them actually own an s16 .

I had two! both died young, so I lost confidence in them.

Excellent aftersales from the then Simmons, but, I bought the gun to use not to keep sending back!

Get a Rapid if you want a buddy bottle or an Air Arms S410, loads knocking about S/H

Dazz

Johnny - Sweden
23-05-2004, 11:46 AM
Excellent aftersales from the then Simmons, but, I bought the gun to use not to keep sending back!

Good thing that Kevin at SS loves them then - he will see a lot of them in the future too, even those he already have sold...

:D ;) :D

Steyr
23-05-2004, 12:47 PM
I think it is a shame that they had to shift away from the original concept of the prototype due to potential problems (legally) with the loading system. It was a good idea and I think they should have gone for it and challenged the legal side of things.

However, I appreciate that there would be a hell of a cost and a few lawyers and barristers would have made a few bucks out of it.

If you want a good multi shot with a high mag capacity and huge shot reserve, then the Rapid is about the best on the market. The original and built to last.

Down side is that they are not pretty, and I feel Theobens are very pricey for the rifle.

Even the add on's are very steep in price.

My feeling is that for every duff Theoben, you will get a lot more S16's going back.

I was tempted by the S16, but when I handled one in a gun shop, I wasn't impressed with the feel and the way it was put together. I walked away.

It is a great shame as rifles with rails and bolt on capability are really suited to NV hunting when you need the NV scope and IR laser and IR illuminator and.......

The S16 and stealths havnt quite got it right either from design limitations or quality issues or both.

Steyr

Len
23-05-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Steyr

If you want a good multi shot with a high mag capacity and huge shot reserve, then the Rapid is about the best on the market. The original and built to last.

Down side is that they are not pretty, and I feel Theobens are very pricey for the rifle.

Even the add on's are very steep in price.

My feeling is that for every duff Theoben, you will get a lot more S16's going back.

Steyr

That is about the best praise anyone could ever give the old Theoben:D :D .
They could be the very best if they would climb down from their throne and bother to communicate with ordinary mortals like myself.
Listen to me talking, I own 3 Rapids MK2 .22 and .25 FAC and a .22 12ft/lb and I love 'em.

Darren Petts
23-05-2004, 03:33 PM
The S16 is a turd dressed in military clothing. Without that disguise it'd not sell at all. If you buy one new have the shop deliver it straight to Simmons to save time and effort as it'll end up there fairly soon anyway. Their service is good but then they've had so much practise at polishing this turd that it buffs up quite nicely now (still a turd under the sheen though).;)

blackfox
23-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Hmm their crap give you a fiver for it hahaha

DM80
23-05-2004, 04:14 PM
useless things :(

Dave.

blackfox
23-05-2004, 04:19 PM
Hmm last time i fired a turd Darren was at the houses of parliament after the the brocock fiasco

Johnny - Sweden
23-05-2004, 04:27 PM

Actually you do also have the FX Airguns Gladiator (aka "Logun" Gladi8or) to concider.

More shots on one fill then the Rapids and much faster to shoot with a biathlon sidelever then old style boltaction it the Theobens.

Andrew006
23-05-2004, 07:00 PM
Those FX airguns are nearly as ugly as Theobens Rapid series;)

Why dont you all just let people like what they want to like.
I have many rifles and have just aquired my second S-16. I like em, many others like em. Mine does what it says it will do. End of story.:)

Regards

Andy:) :D

Steyr
23-05-2004, 09:38 PM
Andrew - this is why the BBS forum is here mate. You are entitled to your opinion and that is the way it should be.

I do not generally rate a rifle by the way it LOOKS.

I rate it by the way it is built, the way it handles and the way it performs in the field or whilst in competition.

If you like the S16 then fair enough but if others dont - then live with it.

Read between the lines in threads like these and you will get a general view of how much regard certain manufacturers or specific items within thier range are held within the shooting community who are using them

This is useful for prospective purchasers to consider the pro's and con's, it allows users to diseminate information from first hand experience, it allows manufacturer's to gather feed back for future development......and it allows windbags to talk b*ll*cks about equipment they have never seen yet alone handled or shot etc.

Just filter the salient stuff and know when to ignore.

As for the S16, if you have a good example then great. However, it doesn't sound from other posts that your experience is as widely shared by others as it should be.

The rapid may be ugly but it is built (and I mean BUILT) very well indeed. It has up to 17 shots in .177 and is ****** accurate for hunting. FT is another thing and I dont think the Rapid quite cuts it in this particular discipline overall.

I have not seen an FX in the flesh or handled or shot one so I cant comment. But is it not just another Axor in a different set of cloths.

I shoot two extremes - a Steyr LG100FT - an EXCELLENT rifle by any standards and an AA S200. the latter is butt ugly to damn small and build quality is far from outstanding - but it can't half shoot straight......and that's why I've got one and it aint for sale.

I don't get upset if someone critises a Steyr or an S200 or a rapid or........I accept there opinions. If I disagree then I'm not afraid to say it but everyone has a right to express thier opinion whatever it may be.

Good shooting

Steyr

franktheferret
24-05-2004, 03:41 AM
If you've tried an S16 and like it, then buy an RWS Scimitar. It will knock your socks off. Its much better balanced, more accurate, much more durable...

Johnny - Sweden
24-05-2004, 05:26 AM
If you've tried an S16 and like it, then buy an RWS Scimitar. It will knock your socks off. Its much better balanced, more accurate, much more durable...

...And on the other hand - if you like the Scimitar, you will love the Gladiator...

;)

jonathanjones
24-05-2004, 07:23 AM
I have to say my s-16 is fantastic, i love it. I admit i had a few teething problems(my fault for not understanding the bolt action).But after having it for 2 months it shoots perfect every time, i love the looks and i feel safe knowing i can send it to simmons if i have any problems. Its true about accupells though it is all it will shoot!!!

cheers
jonathan

Andrew006
24-05-2004, 11:28 AM
Steyr.....did you not notice the;) ?

Chill out......I like most airguns...no I love all airguns.

I am an airgun enthusiast:cool: But still, many people who do slag the s-16 have probably (IMHO) never handled a MK2 version.

Like I said....everybody to their own:)

anygreg
24-05-2004, 03:50 PM
And finally,

I have owned both the S16 Mk1 and Mk2 and don't think anyone can deny there were problems with the first and even the early Mk2's where not good to say the least, but, and there is a but, In Logunís defense they kept customer focused and supported the customer all the way down the line until it was fixed, and still do today, also consider over 8000 of these have been sold (have yet to hear of anyone who hasnít reached a resolution with Logun, now that saying something in this day and age, any one own a faulty Theoben..?). Admittedly some of the problems were manufacturing defects but equally a lot of the blame was down to the user as well. People love to assemble these things and take the apart as if they were a toy, whilst still charged at full pressure (200bar!!) this obviously doesnít do any of the seals any good. The users then complain that their S16 is loosing air Öand so the S16 story began. Got off on a bit of a bad foot reallyL. I have been there with a similar problem with my MK1 (not user error though!!) after excellent comms with Logun they sorted it out, FOC, with, may I add, an apology for the problem! I am now the proud owner of a MK2 S16 and am very very impressed with the shooting capabilities of this air rifle. Unquestionable accuracy shot after shot, extremely quite and in my opinion a good looking piece of kit without any wood!

Would I sell it ÖNo chance. If you get a good one, which all of the latest ones should be, hold onto it, you will not be disappointed.

Would I buy another, wonít have to, keeping the one I've got, if it goes wrong I will ring Logun, end of story.

Would I recommend one, yes, but these arenít for kids, if you want something to strip down and rebuild buy some meccano!!

One last point, one thing I have noticed about the new super slick MK2 S16 (love it!) Logun have re-written the manual since the MK1, putting all the does and doníts, and yes there are a few, but I like that, it makes the thing more human and more interesting to own. Get one of these little puppies on song and itís as good as any other top air rifle out there, if a little quirkier.

Haje
24-05-2004, 04:17 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Davestate
[B]Do a search, IIRC, only 1 person has had a good thing to say

A bit off topic, but can someone tell me what IIRC means?
Seen it plenty of times but never worked it out.

Regards,

Paul

Andrew006
24-05-2004, 04:37 PM
Haje....IIRC means "If I recall Correctly" I think:)

And anygreg, Good first post mate.
;)

regards

Andy

anygreg
24-05-2004, 05:50 PM
Must remember to read it through before posting though!!
This is like being back at school...a long time ago...

Cheers Andy

allymax
24-05-2004, 06:59 PM
Thanks for all the conflicting views guys :) :)

I must admit, I do like the look of the S16 and a decent deal is available locally. There are a few more things I want to try out before I commit right enough.

Thanks again for your views, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ally.

Andrew006
24-05-2004, 08:28 PM
Your'e welcome mate, thats the good thing about this bbs, lots of views, lots of opinions and generally good advice.
You choose what you fancy:)

But whatever you decide on...dont get anything made in Sweden:D ;) :cool:

jools27666
24-05-2004, 08:50 PM
buy it from here (http://www.scr-airguns.co.uk) and you wont have a problem... Dave will make sure of that.
If youve got the money get one converted to .177,put on a decent scope, and you WILL show all the Rapid lovers what set-up and accuracy really means.... and hey.... if it does happen to develop a fault at least it has a backup service and someone who will help you...thats three plus points over Theoben :D