PDA

View Full Version : Braveheart Magpie

steven
25-05-2004, 07:14 AM
I thought Magpies were mean't to be sharp minded and wary - perfect field craft, camo gear, and dont clean you teeth for 2 weeks etc to stand any chance of getting within 40 yards !

Not the one thats taken up semi-permanent residence in my garden. It struts around the lawn without a care in the world.
Wasn't even bothered when I was standing 20 ft away watching it.
Can only assume its seen me shoot:rolleyes:

Doobin
25-05-2004, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by steven
It struts around the lawn without a care in the world.

So give it something to care about :D

steven
25-05-2004, 07:57 AM
Well, unsuprisingly, it had crossed my mind.
However, I dont fancy eating it, so unless i bury it amoungst the shrubs Im not quite sure what to do with it !

If it makes a nuisance of itself however - the spade will be making an appearance.;)

Ray J
25-05-2004, 07:58 AM
Don't you have a bin'?

Ray:cool:

RepkaX
25-05-2004, 08:04 AM
next door's garden always makes a good recepticle :D

steven
25-05-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by RepkaX
next door's garden always makes a good recepticle :D

:D :D
bet your a popular local resident !!

Ray,

Since the local council contracted out refuse collection, you can't get them to take grass cuttings - let alone corpses.
They have even requested that householders rinse out empty bottles before disposing into the wheelie-bin :confused:

machasm
25-05-2004, 08:44 AM
I thought Magpies were mean't to be sharp minded and wary - perfect field craft, camo gear, and dont clean you teeth for 2 weeks etc to stand any chance of getting within 40 yards !

Not the one thats taken up semi-permanent residence in my garden. It struts around the lawn without a care in the world.
Wasn't even bothered when I was standing 20 ft away watching it.
Can only assume its seen me shoot:rolleyes:
Wait till you get your gun out. It's a different story then.
They definately know the diffference between an un-armed man and an armed one!
Mac.

icarus
25-05-2004, 08:47 AM
The ones I shoot in my garden get double bagged and thrown in the bin.

Got 3 last week after they were harassing the blackbirds nest. I was gonna leave them alone but as soon as they started on the other song birds they had to go.

Baldie
25-05-2004, 10:12 AM
Hmmmm.

Magpies are the 'sharks' of the bird-world IMO. There'll never be one that'll do anything other than eat everything it can.

Last June (IIRC) I got my first air rifle and started 'ethnically cleansing' these predators from my and my neighbours garden. This is the first year at my present abode, that I've been able to hear and watch Blackbirds and Sparrows jumping around the garden. I've got some very high conifers in the garden, and sooner or later the Magpies land there. There's at least one Blackbird nest in the trees, and of last week, I've started to think there may be two.

Found a Magpie looking through the trees minutes after reading this thread. I had to wait for him to come around my side of the tree, but he'll not be eating any more Blackbird eggs. ;)

Unfortunately its mate came and went while writing this. Oh well...

:D :D

ninedarter
25-05-2004, 10:24 AM
hi know anybody with a ferret they love em!!!!!!:)

rgds bill

woody2906
25-05-2004, 10:37 AM
Steven, do the song birds in your garden a favour and shoot the ****** thing!!:rolleyes:

Snapshot.
25-05-2004, 11:08 AM
There's quite a difference between urban and country magpies and squirrels. The urban ones are much more used to people, loud noises, etc. and will put up with distrubances that would send their wilder cousins fleeing. One local squirrel seemed to think it was a good game when my neighbour threw stones at it to make it leave his garden alone. It took a .22 BisMag to finally convince it....

Jonathan

steven
25-05-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by ninedarter
hi know anybody with a ferret they love em!!!!!!:)

rgds bill

FERRET !!:eek:

Its 'conservative and private schools' around here old chap:D

.. Thanks bill, but no, I do not.

Woody,

Don't have to worry about that as I do not seem to have any song birds in my garden this year !

si72
25-05-2004, 11:50 AM
we have a major magpie problem here. they dive bomb you in the spring. this is especialy irritating when im trying to clean the chimney. shooting them had always proved difficult as soon as they see gun metal they retire to a safe distance .i recently procured a magpie distress tape and it is very effective they fly down and hang about looking for their poor friend and then its goodnight.

RochdaleLad
25-05-2004, 12:53 PM
Don't have to worry about that as I do not seem to have any song birds in my garden this year !

Kind of proves the point really...

I say, nuke the Maggies and chuck them in a bin. Or else shove them in the freezer and use as decoys later on :)

D.

steven
25-05-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by RochdaleLad
Kind of proves the point really...

D.

RochdaleLad,

My comment was posted 'tongue in cheek' - Im not quite that daft !:)

Sam
25-05-2004, 01:32 PM
I had one sat on the workshop roof yesterday, it seemed pretty carefree when I popped my head out of the skylite about 15 feet away from it.....

Now its seriously carefree. :D :D :D

Wax em all, evil bleeders. ;)

chefdave
25-05-2004, 02:22 PM
shoot it,then if you have enough spare time start to do taxidermy ive just started it and maggies are alot easier to start with cos their tougher skinned.of course you could always take the dog for a walk and chuck them in the hedge.

RochdaleLad
25-05-2004, 03:41 PM
RochdaleLad,

My comment was posted 'tongue in cheek' - Im not quite that daft !:)

Oh, alright. I didn't see any smileys :p

Although my comment sorta proves how daft _I_ am, doesn't it? :D :p

steven
25-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by RochdaleLad

Although my comment sorta proves how daft _I_ am, doesn't it? :D :p

Well, a dig in respect of the missing apostrophe; I'm sorry !:)

I will try to remember BBS etiquette next time and use a smiley;)

TX Sniper
25-05-2004, 04:12 PM
sorry to jack the thread but was recently readin a book on birds and noticed a bird called an azure winged magpie, they looked like regular maggies but were bigger and had jay type wings. I have never seen one so i wondered what country they are from or if they are now extinct as the book was fairly old. R there any in nz?
Congrats on the baba by the way.:)

Len
25-05-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by TX Sniper
sorry to jack the thread but was recently readin a book on birds and noticed a bird called an azure winged magpie, they looked like regular maggies but were bigger and had jay type wings. I have never seen one so i wondered what country they are from or if they are now extinct as the book was fairly old. R there any in nz?

No we used to have lots of them in the old days, but after they started to upset humans and songbirds alike, their generation ended up in the bin.
You see, in them days, inspite of them being bigger, they was only have as crafty as the ordinary species we have pestering us today. :D :D :D

Len

si72
25-05-2004, 11:54 PM
could not say what type they are but they are an aussie import. about the size of a crow. noisy little buggers to.
si

Snapshot.
26-05-2004, 05:44 AM
A quick Google found this: http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Azure-winged%20magpie.

Jonathan

Thunderbolt A10
26-05-2004, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by machasm
Wait till you get your gun out. It's a different story then.
They definately know the diffference between an un-armed man and an armed one!
Mac.

Hi,

I agree, machasm.
They are clever like the crow is. Any sign of danger - then off they go.

Rgds,
Thunderbolt A-10

TX Sniper
26-05-2004, 08:19 AM
cheers for the info guys, settled my curiosity:)

Lurchermiss
26-05-2004, 09:05 AM
I hate Magpies but recently heard it is bad luck to kill one. So in case it is I dont even aim at them now. Apart from this I am not suspicious.

Baldie
26-05-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by peter pounds
I hate Magpies but recently heard it is bad luck to kill one.

That'll explain why I never win the lottery then. Why I don't drive a Lambo, and why I don't have a couple of 20 year old nympho's following me everywhere looking for attention. [Who am I kidding, I couldn't cope with one...]

Are you thinking of the old rhyme that goes "one for sorrow, two for joy"? I've found if you kill one, it's pal is not far behind (if it can see the first). If you're REALLY lucky, all of its 'gang' might even turn up..... I don't normally drive on those days!

:D :D :D :D :D

steven
26-05-2004, 09:40 AM
Update on my Guest....

Spent a little time observing the situation yesterday evening.
it appears there are two of them, and its not just my garden that has taken their fancy. Its an area of about six gardens. The roof mounted TV arials seem to be used as look-out posts, from which they fly one to the other, seemingly to protect their territory.
Notably; no other birds around really, apart from the odd sparrow
which pops down, and then bu99ers off pretty sharpishly.

Nine o'clock, and it must have been bed-e-bise time for the magpies. Obviously needed an early night because they were back out on patrol by the time I surfaced at 5.50am