PDA

View Full Version : Suitable back stop for the garage

Matt
27-05-2004, 10:34 AM
I am setting up a chrono for use in the garage any advice on what to do to make a suitable pellet catcher?

Also what to do with regards lighting the garage, as don't chrono's alter under differnt lighting conditions?

Matt

nealie
27-05-2004, 10:42 AM
when shooting in my garage....i use taped up yellow pages and stacks of A4 paper!

neal

clubshot
27-05-2004, 10:45 AM
Matt,
Old telephone books are good but do breakdown and become dusty.
Which might cover or effect sensors

Plates & bricks can rebound.

I find it best to use a Sand Bag , is best to put in a old sack if possible or several old pillow cases.

Can be filtered and old pellets recovered.

Light effect is normally the back sensors , normally cover with a sheet of paper, if giving error readings.

Blue paper seems to effect readings :(

BOB/R

steven
27-05-2004, 11:23 AM
Piece of suitable plywood, mdf or alike, then attach a few layers of old carpet. works a treat.;)

ora8i
27-05-2004, 11:37 AM
There is one here -

www.ora8i.co.uk

Also had good success with a big bag of potting compost!

Regards Ora

FT Shooter
27-05-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by clubshot

Can be filtered and old pellets recovered.

BOB/R

Do they still shoot the same second time around as I would have thought they'd be a poor fit in the breech?

MikB
27-05-2004, 11:53 AM
Same thing I use in the garden - decent-sized cardboard box with a couple of weeks' worth of newspapers and magazines stuffed in it. Staple target to front. When theres not enough left to staple to, tape a piece of cardboard over the ragged hole. When you've done that to death, turn it round and shoot the other side. Works perfectly, costs nothing, lasts for months.

Regards,
MikB

Doobin
27-05-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by FT Shooter
Do they still shoot the same second time around as I would have thought they'd be a poor fit in the breech?

I think Clubshot was referring to collecting the old pellets to melt down and re-use for other purposes, and to avoid putting a massive quantity of lead into the environment when you ditch the sand.

NEVER re-use old pellets, ESPECIALLY if they're covered in sand!

Snapshot.
27-05-2004, 06:01 PM
If it's a fixed setup, why not use a conventional pellet trap? I'm building a portable chrono bench out of a 30mm shelf. This has a very solid backplate supporting the pellet trap, a plinth in the middle for my Skan chrono and a rod rest to position the barrel of the gun under test. I'll post photos when it's finished.

Jonathan

Len
27-05-2004, 06:25 PM
Couple of months ago I came past a pile of cut down trees and a bloke was cutting ' em into 15" thick slices, gave him a drink and took five pieces home. Each piece being about 30" across, the wood slightly damp: perfect pelletstop. This wood just absorbs the pellet, no richocets absolutely save.

Using it as a pelletrap in the backyard, after about 1000 rounds, still using the first of five and when it gets too bad, just turn it around.

Len

editing syntax errors:confused: :confused:

Lee G
27-05-2004, 06:27 PM
Bung a landrover in there, plenty of scrap metal to shoot.

:D :D

Bob1957
27-05-2004, 06:32 PM
I use a conventional Bisley pellet trap with squares of carpet cut to size and forced into the gap between the target and the backplate so that they are compressed. It's had about 5000 shots into it and is still o.k., when the carpet gets too ragged it will be very easy too replace. An added bonus of this trap is that it is extremely quiet.

Bob

mr_magoo
27-05-2004, 06:56 PM
just hypnotise 475 suicidle rabbits from hertfordshire :D
hey presto almost a tins worth

Thunderbolt A10
27-05-2004, 08:06 PM
Hi,

Although more expensive - the ballistic putty is a very good pellet catcher. 5 pounds of this material in a block can stop a Beeman Kodiak .25 pellet with 56 fpe behind it !
You can get this putty from Straight Shooters in US if you like. Just an idea !!!

Rgds,
Thunderbolt A-10

jools27666
27-05-2004, 08:41 PM
how about abu hamza :D

tutchi
27-05-2004, 09:19 PM
If you go to your local office furniture supplier you can buy a metal stationery cupboard where the doors have been damaged. The one I bought is 6 foot tall and about 3 foot wide. I put an ordinary Bisley catcher on the shelves which give me low shots or level shots or high shots. The cupboard will stop a pellet on its own but I use old phone books etc to cut down on the noise. It cost me £20 quid delivered which is what the Bisley catcher cost. HTH
Tutchi
:D

Sammo
28-05-2004, 07:09 AM
Try using plastercine I think this is how you spell it or newplast as it is now called. I found this to be very good at the back of my pellet catcher.

Haje
28-05-2004, 10:04 AM
Hmmm I found a good source for a backstop, The Argos Store Catalogue. They normally have them near the door and if you are lucky you can get a pack of them sealed in plastic wrap. They make a good freestanding back stop.

(just pick up a pack as you mutter, ďI need one for home, office, Sister, Brother,
etc.)

I. J.
28-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Haje
(just pick up a pack as you mutter, ďI need one for home, office, Sister, Brother,
etc.)
[/B]

I notice you didnt say: 'Friend........' :D
Mmmeeeeoooowww:cool:

Haje
28-05-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Lee G
Bung a landrover in there, plenty of scrap metal to shoot.

Hey! How dare you encourage anyone to shoot an old Landrover!

Even if a given example is beyond economical repair, its parts can be used to help keep other Landrovers in service. A Series Landrover is, given its mechcano kit construction probably the most recyclable vehicle on the planet. I believe that something like 70% of all Landrovers ever made are still in service.

Mine is an ex MOD example from the 60ís, it has been restored (by myself) and with itís new engine easily keeps up with modern traffic. It runs on LPG so is economical and environmentally friendly as well. It has out lived many of the other cars that I have owned and there is no reason why it should not be around for many years to come.

They are also naturally very good for anyone involved with shooting sports.

nealie
28-05-2004, 10:28 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

warning....warning....sense of humour level now critical....must be topped up with episodes of Bo Selecta and Futurama!

:)

FT Shooter
28-05-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Doobin
I think Clubshot was referring to collecting the old pellets to melt down and re-use for other purposes, and to avoid putting a massive quantity of lead into the environment when you ditch the sand.

NEVER re-use old pellets, ESPECIALLY if they're covered in sand!

Its OK Doobin I was taking the proverbial:eek:

Haje
28-05-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by I. J.
I notice you didnt say: 'Friend........' :D
Mmmeeeeoooowww:cool:

Hey Ian, do you want some then?

BTW, we are comming over to TS in the morning....I'll make the coffee.

I. J.
28-05-2004, 06:51 PM
Hey Ian, do you want some then?

BTW, we are comming over to TS in the morning....I'll make the coffee.

Ive said it before and I will say it again - DONT FORGET THE BICCYS ! :D

(p.s. Bring your entry fees to R.R.s compt of 11th July.:) )

Lee G
28-05-2004, 08:46 PM
Hey! How dare you encourage anyone to shoot an old Landrover!

Even if a given example is beyond economical repair, its parts can be used to help keep other Landrovers in service. A Series Landrover is, given its mechcano kit construction probably the most recyclable vehicle on the planet. I believe that something like 70% of all Landrovers ever made are still in service.

Mine is an ex MOD example from the 60ís, it has been restored (by myself) and with itís new engine easily keeps up with modern traffic. It runs on LPG so is economical and environmentally friendly as well. It has out lived many of the other cars that I have owned and there is no reason why it should not be around for many years to come.

They are also naturally very good for anyone involved with shooting sports.

Best bung a few left wing lentle head tree huging loonies in for luck, they love to recycle old crap.

Haje
29-05-2004, 08:23 AM
Hmmm, left wing tree hugger indeed! You obviously donít know me then.

Iím not into recycling per sae, but I do enjoy mechanics and a Landrover is the perfect kit of parts to work with. I have spent plenty of time in places like West Africa where these vehicles just keep on running and when they do break down they are very easy to fix.

I have been surrounded by exotic animals all my life and have been working with venomous snakes for many years, so yes I do have an interest in their habitat.

But Iím no loony tree hugger

:D :D :D :D

chub
31-05-2004, 09:13 AM
an old bucket stuffed with folded newspaper .use a bulldog clip
easy peasy
albert

Thunderbolt A10
05-06-2004, 06:22 PM
Hi again,

I have just found out a very cheap backstop and it performs excellent with high power FAC airguns.

It is very simple - take a plastic can and fill it up with sand. It would be a good idea to first test the can to see if the pellet can penetrate the first layer of plastic so you donīt get a ricochet. If the pellet can penetrate the can you have an excellent backstop and with the right thickness of the can the pellet will never go straight through it.
After few shots or maybe each shot you have to tape the hole over to prevent the sand from running out. Maybe a smart system could be invented for this ?

Rgds,
Thunderbolt A-10

billyboyp
05-06-2004, 09:35 PM
WIFE. :D :D

aquarius11
06-06-2004, 09:02 AM
Fill a meatel wast paper bin with soil cover it a news paper then with pletny of cling film then lay it on its side, easy:)
aquarisu11