Thread: Open sights & scope options for an old HW35?

Open sights & scope options for an old HW35?

I am quite new to all this but recently purchased an old HW35 .22 from around 1978. I'm enjoying the open sights but would like to try out a scope, probably a basic 4 x 32 or similar?

The grooves measure 12mm at the smallest point and this ties up with Hiller's book - I understand most newer rifles have smaller grooves of 9 - 11mm. Is it difficult to find something to fit the older HW35?

Another point on open sights, I have mainly used it indoors at a distance of around 8 metres (longest I can set up when the house is empty) and the best group of 5 was 1/2 inch. The rare occasion I tried in the garden (v. difficult due to ******* neighbours) with open sights I could hardly make out the central target at 25 yards to line up let alone hit the bull... How do people get on with open sights at longer ranges?

I think I.J. was selling a couple of very rare one piece mounts for the 13mm HW35 dovetails. Better move fast........

Quote Originally Posted by wgmorgan
    I think I.J. was selling a couple of very rare one piece mounts for the 13mm HW35 dovetails. Better move fast........
    SOLD!

Long range open sight shooting? In my case I use Williams Sports peep sights which I find very useful in our open sight compts. In this case on a HW77.

FELIX Y.H.P.M.

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 05-02-2006 at 04:15 PM.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Wink Open Sights

For many years I used open sights on a 35 and then an 80 I used to polish up old 12 bore cartridge cases I COULD hit them out to 30 yds,good practice, but I kept my hunting range to 25 yds max,one tip I will give you is try to get some flourescent nail varnish I used to pinch it of an old aunty put a dab on the front sight and two dabs on the rear you are a top man for having a go with the opens, ANT