Thread: Scope Suggestions for a Lightning XL

anton Guest

Scope Suggestions for a Lightning XL

Hi All,

Just got my XL out of the box and strapped on my current scope. It's a cheep chinese with the front cover taken off so I can wind the objective in and out for my short (10m) back garden range.

I intend to replace this in the near future however I am conserned about the lack of room between the barrel and my eye. My current scope is 12.5 inch and most of the scopes I have looked at seem to be about 2 inches longer. I don't think that would be comfortable.

I was wondering what other XL owners are using for a scope and is my budget of about £100 enough or should I do some more overtime.

Also do I need to get an adjustable objective or am I just blaming parallax for my lousy shots.

Thanks

Opposite the cow-field, just outside Dover, Kent
    suggest AGS mini-mildot 6X40
    Good deals with Mark3HuntsmanSam, Cannon Fodder, Guy, Jon, Peddy, Negotiator, Devon Shooter, Ninapuppy, Custard 1, Bob Brown, TopDog, Dave The Frame, / Sam99, Ballie, Nautilus21, edbear2, eredel, among others

ags sapphire 3-9x40 mil-dot is a good choice i had 1 on mine
    Rhys
    Sako Finnfire .22lr

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40, it's about £100ish and will spank the botties of the AGS scopes already suggested.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by anton
    I was wondering what other XL owners are using for a scope and is my budget of about £100 enough or should I do some more overtime.
    As has been mentioned, the AGS 3x9x40 scopes at £40-50 are excellent and will fit without a problem.The only slight downside is that the milldots are quite widely spaced.

Hawke do a similar priced 3x9x40 with smaller milldot spacing, and that has had good reviews too.
    Paying £100 will not get you a much better scope IMO.I bought a £150 Bushnell Elite for my 'good' gun, but TBH, I was rather disappointed, the AGS at £40 is just as good for my uses, though the Bushnell does feel well made, but not £100 better than the AGS.
    Alan.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    If your prepared to spend £100 on a scope then do so as buying cheap scopes (unless secondhand good quality ones) is a false economy and you will definetly see the difference between a AGS and a Bushnell, lense quality for starters and followed by build quality.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

anton Guest
    Thanks all for you responses, there seems to be good consistancy in your advice it makes it easier for me.

I notice that nobody has suggested a parallax adjustable, so should I assume that this is not necessary?

Anton ... BuddyBoy is selling a Hawk 3~10x44 reflex for £50.00 (brand new) ... these scopes are said to have the best optics of any of the sub £100.00 Hawk scopes

wurzel
    Logun Carbine 177 ~ Aetec 3.8~12 x 44