Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stick on Piston Buttons.

Stick on Piston Buttons.

In the US Jim Macarri is apparently selling some stick on piston buttons/plastic bearings, they are disks about ¼-3/16 in dia by 0.01” thick and brown on the side you just stick to the piston. The adhesive used is cyanoacrilate.

I’m wondering what they are actually for, I doubt if Jim phones up a wholesaler and orders a case of “piston buttons” they have to be made for something else.

Any ideas? Slides, glides ??

I buttoned a B4 in the usual way not that long ago, it was difficult going the steel was well over hardened I had to soften it before I could drill it (details on my site). “Stick On’s” would have been so much easier even if they need periodic replacement it’s not much trouble.

See-

http://www.airguns.citymax.com/catal...88/2365157.htm

http://www.network54.com/Forum/11381...ad/1137371258/

http://www.network54.com/Forum/11381...ons+%26quot%3B

http://www.network54.com/Forum/11381...ons+%26quot%3B

For anybody how doesn’t know, Jim is one of the top Airgun Smiths in the US both very knowledgably and very reliable.

I’ve had a bit of a search around on the net but found nothing like them, although I could make them from Delrin/Nylon I would have to use a surface modifying primer prior to gluing. Finding a UK source would be better than getting them from the US.

Besides I'm just plain curious about them.

Regards Ora

Strange ......when i woke up this morning i was thinking about this as an idea.

Looks like l have been beaten to it a basic DIY lazaglide kit .
    If it's got tits or wheels it’s going to be expensive.....

He has been selling them for years and has his own R1(HW80) buttoned with no wear over thousands of shots. He would make them himself as he does with all his products.

i really like the concept, just thinking of what spinger i could buy to try them out on .

I've got some arriving this week - I'll try them on an already smooth HW80. Just wondering which glue to use - one of the loctite family, but which one?

Dave.

They are designed for use with super glue(cyanoclorate) and will bond well enough if you clean off all grease.

Woodstock Guest
    How about this?
    http://www.axminster.co.uk/name/aptc...rial-21305.htm

Regards,
    Woodstock.

1mm would be to thick.

Woodstock Guest
    I´m sure it would be relatively easy to scrape/file /sand the sheet to near thickness before you cut out the buttons.Either way, they probably all need to be trimmed to size after gluing for optimal fit.
    Regards,
    Woodstick.

Born Again Guest
    I wonder if the glue would stand up to being turned down in a lathe. As in, stick 'em on then turn down to correct diameter.

I have used a form of nylon treated to bond with super glue(i am sure this is what he uses) and they will disintergrate before coming off in one piece so it's a very strong bond.

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    I've got some arriving this week - I'll try them on an already smooth HW80. Just wondering which glue to use - one of the loctite family, but which one?

Dave.
    when you have fitted them can you post on here with your findings please.

im very interested in this

In all honesty I have fitted Lazaglide pistons to HW80s but have attained just as smooth a shooting rifle by polish and lube alone, these days we are certainly spoilt for choice regarding super slippery lubes, whereas when Ken Turner thought up the Lazaglide concept he didnt have the choices we have

Baz

Absolutely Baz - coudn't agree more - 80 in question has been polished & Maccari lubed and is lovely and smooth - just a 'what if' for fun!

Only 6$, and I've some other bits on the way so why not?

Anyone tried buttoning a compression tube on a TX or 77/97?

Dave.

All depends how tight the piston is to start with, some are tight enough and don't vibrate others do. The seal must be tight enough to centre without robbing power but all buttons do is correct problems that shouldn't be there on a good gun. If you polish the piston as previous posts have advised and have a good seal with the right lube it should never be needed.