Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Just realised what "Lock Time" Really is" Thread

I know I'm a saddo, but I find the topic of lock-time fascinating, and was pi$$ed when certain people suggested it was "boring." They deserved all they got...! This is supposed to be an air gun forum, and if you don't like the content of a thread, don't post..!

Got to go... have to weigh, wash, sort, size, and lube 5000 pellets before I go to bed..!

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

i seemed to remember talking about pod's idea, then when i checked back later there seemed to be a page debating the worth of the thread, so i dropped in an irony check with profanity and left it there.

quite why it suddenly jumped in one post from a discussion about rifle lock to one that was about ball locks i never quite sussed.

bstrdmissed Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rfarn
    i seemed to remember talking about pod's idea, then when i checked back later there seemed to be a page debating the worth of the thread, so i dropped in an irony check with profanity and left it there.

quite why it suddenly jumped in one post from a discussion about rifle lock to one that was about ball locks i never quite sussed.

Post no.17
    Last edited by bstrdmissed; 12-02-2006 at 11:46 PM.

come again?

bstrdmissed Guest
    Look at the 17th post on this thread for how it decended into "B*****ks".
    Last edited by bstrdmissed; 12-02-2006 at 11:46 PM.

Zapped?...eh?

thats what happened after it descended, granted...but what made it jump from a conversation into the heat i jumped into the end of...(i assume it was the end)

perhaps some posts were removed before because there didnt seem to be any continuity to what i was reading...it was on topic, then bang, handbags, cries of "no, gawray it ain't warf iet".

i saw your comment, but that was early on...the thing i replied to was something about "arguing about something no-one was interested in and didnt matter" or something like that...which seemed really odd to me because up to that point i dont think there had actually been any argument at all and people seemed to be still talking about it and for some reason it was directed at me by someone who i cant remember...i felt kind of narked that it seemed that for some reason i was upsetting someones beauty sleep by posting in a thread that they weren't interested in or felt wasnt important...

oh well...

so, lock time then...

oh..now you've edited 2nd to 17th it makes a bit more sense!

it went odd after that before i came back...

nm

I thought it was an excellent thread and developed from a straightforward 'my gun is cool cos its got a really short lock time', into a discussion on lock time, shooting technique, Daystate fan baiting, Mk3 accuracy and it even included some Mr Snook techie stuff. There were no handbags - just a few troll type posts. Like most long threads it did meander somewhat but sometimes that makes them all the more enjoyable.

Paul Hudson Guest
    I have to agree with Pod's view of the thread.

However, I feel that Mr Pod should have been banned.

His contribution about the chess club has caused me untold suffering and distress - I was unable to find a screen wipe in time and the snot and coffee mix has now dried to a concrete-like consistency

Paul.

Markxman Guest
    Is someone going to tell me what `lock time` is please ?

as i understand it is the time between you pulling the trigger and the pellet leaving the barrel. there you go Markxman question answered mate
    ford focus. 133bhp 262ft/ib of torque
    anshutz 8002
    RIVINGTON RIFLEMEN & WENDOVER FTC

In the good old days, the firing mechanism was called the "lock,", 'cos the early wheellocks were wound up by a key. (As in "lock, stock, and barrel.) When the trigger was pulled on a flintlock, the hammer, or "cock", had to flip forward, knock open the frizzen, which covered the pan, and the spark had to ignite the priming powder. The flame had to travel down the touch hole, and fire the main charge. (sometimes it just fizzed out, and you got a "flash in the pan.") All this took a finite amount of time, hence "lock time." The old powder guns took so long that you could wobble off aim, and miss your shot.
    With modern air rifles, lock time is accepted as being the time from breaking the trigger, to the pellet leaving the barrel. With a mechanical PCP, it depends on the mass of the hammer, strength of the spring, and the distance the hammer has to move. The firing valve, transfer port, and length of barrel also come into it. The Daystate electronic Mk3s dont have as many moving parts, so they are very fast. Basically, the faster the lock time, the better. (Despite what some numpties say...! )

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Markxman Guest
    Ross and Gwylan,
    I thank you for your replys. Now I know what `lock time` is,
    Thank you once again.
    M@rk..

Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan

Got to go... have to weigh, wash, sort, size, and lube 5000 pellets before I go to bed..!

Gus

I hope you did the same for the ones i had

Heck, Gus, your memory must be better than mine! Was you there, then? Cos I never saw you there! Nice summation of the old terminologies, though. See you Weds!

Keith

Edit - "Hayle boy", for Markxman's benefit!