Thread: Zeroing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ideot Savant Guest
    Good advise above. To add something I zero at 8 to 10 yards on a bit of paper with a line running top to bottom. dont worry too much about elevation at this point just make sure its dead straight.
    Shoot at the line, if the pellet goes one way or the other shoot at the last pellet, and then shoot at that pellet. You will see that you create a string of shots in one direction. Try to dial a few clicks in the correct direction, opposite to the direction of the string and repeat.
    try again to see if the sting goes in one direction ( if it does the spaces between the pellets should be less) and then try to dial it out again.
    Keep adjusting after each string, eventually each shot will either hit the line, or as you aim at the last pellet it will mostly hit the line with the odd zig-zag across it from left to right.
    The above method meens you can make the rifle zero'd nice and straight,
    then move out to your desired range with a normal target.

MetroidManiac Guest
    Now that, is good.

Scarecrow Guest
    I find it easier to zero at 25 yds 'cos it makes it easier to work out the necessary adjustment without having to guess. If your POI is 1/2" out, dial in what would be a 2" correction at 100yds (ie. 8 or 16 clicks for 1/4" or 1/8" turrets respectively).

The only time I start off closer than 25 yds is if the scope is so far out that I'm not likely to put a pellet on the sheet of A4 that my zeroing targets are printed on.

ianps Guest

zero

I may be in a minority here but why not just zero in at the required 25-35 yds in the first place. ? seems a waste of time to zero at 10yds first.
    Ian

why not just zero in at the required 25-35 yds in the first place. ? seems a waste of time to zero at 10yds first.
    cos if you do zero at 10 yds there are very few factors (wind,wobble etc) that can act upon the pellet at that short distance, thus the windage (left to right) can be obtained easily and at 10 - 12yds your secondary zero (thats the second point on the pellets arc which is at the same place its currently at) will be about 35yds

then all you have to do is put the target out at say 35yds and tweak your elevation as your windage will be ok

Quote Originally Posted by enigma
    cos if you do zero at 10 yds there are very few factors (wind,wobble etc) that can act upon the pellet at that short distance, thus the windage (left to right) can be obtained easily and at 10 - 12yds your secondary zero (thats the second point on the pellets arc which is at the same place its currently at) will be about 35yds

then all you have to do is put the target out at say 35yds and tweak your elevation as your windage will be ok
    I'm very impressed Tim!
    Old age is mandatory, growing up is optional.

had a good teacher dave....thanx mate for all the help.

i thought i could shoot (and i could) but i became a greatly refined shooter thanx to Dave`s efforts with me....cheers

ianps Guest

Ahh

Quote Originally Posted by enigma

That makes sense, I never thought of that. I stand corrected there is a point in zeroing at 10yds.
    Ian

Scarecrow Guest
    Except that if you're just a smidgen out with your windage at 10yds, the error will be magnified by 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 times when you subsequently re-zero at 25 or 35 yds.

You could do a lot worse than ... going along to the B.F.T.A. web-site and downloading their manual ... "Setting Up An Air Rifle And Telescopic Sight For Field Target" ... whether you intend doing F.T. or not, it's an invaluable document. Regards ... da Geek
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C