Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bench testing tip

Good to see that Supermick is still helping us from that great hunting ground in the sky
    HFT Team England 2012 - 2013
    Incompetent writer for Airgunner
    UKAHFT, World and SiHFT Recoiling champ 2017

Any tips for bench testing a pistol? I tend to tinker a lot with my pistols and am looking for an objective way to see if the changes are doing anything .

good tips many thanks

What a great idea! hope the mrs does not make me do any diy around the house when i get the work mate out.

Anyone got any pics of this?

alan 972

Quote Originally Posted by babasan View Post
    i use a black and decker workmate with a piece of foam pipe lagging on each side of the jaws so that i can clamp the gun without damage

jobs a good un
    i will be trying that thanks

I've seen the bag type supports people use but just had a look around and cheapest i can find them is £20. seems a little expensive. Bench idea is good though.

Quote Originally Posted by mark03r View Post
    I've seen the bag type supports people use but just had a look around and cheapest i can find them is £20. seems a little expensive. Bench idea is good though.
    Keep an eye out in the poundshop type stores (also places like Home Bargains) for fabric doorstops. They're perfect for shooting off.

Make your own bean bags out of some old socks and fill them with either polystyrene balls (craft shop, used for stuffing toys) or sand from the builders yard/beach whichever is more convenient.

If you are lucky to have an understanding seamstress available, bigger bags than socks can be made for pence - you might just have to turn a blind eye to the colour scheme.

Got a couple of tips...One might sound a bit...Odd.

The first one I like to use when zeroing in, is an old wooden seat my father made me when I was a kiddy, apart from sitting on it I had no other idea of how or why I would want to use it - its tiny. That is until I was looking for some kind of rest thingy-ma-jig to rest my rifle on & found that this little wooden seat works very well. Its about 1ft long and a little under 1ft in height and has 'V' shaped legs so its perfect for holden my beloved Concept Super Six in. Plus, when laying prone its just the right height and it is pretty much boxed shape so I can hold a few things in it, pellets, lense cleaing clothes etc.

The other tip is kinda "different" but quite effective although worries me of what goes through my mind, but anyway. It being, a bra. Yes, one of those lady-girl things. Simply get the 2 peices that join up at the rear of the lady-girl and securely nail to the upper part of a door frame (garden shed, back door looking outside etc) at about 2ft apart, then its just a case of placing your rifle inbetween the cups or whatever they're called. And there you'll have a quite effective support for your air rifle. However, adjustments to the bra may need to be thought through due to ones height etc. Also, "cups" of the bra can be used to store pellet mags depending on size of the bust.

Warning: Lady-girl could possibly be very angry! I shall not take any responsibilities of any unhappiness, marital disputes etc!
    'It's possible. The point is getting away with it. And speaking as a professional, that's a very important consideration.'

The home made bean bags are great.

Good tip this i never put mine down dont want marks on the stock. Put a camo sleeve over mine just so i dont get any knicks on the stock! Sad i know but the stock stays like brand new...

Work Bench sounds great, I've been having problems with a set up for this and I never thought of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerebral Chasm View Post
    Thank you Mick,

Being new I need useful tips like this.

Cos when you are not sure what you are doing when zeroing in a new rifle, it can take rather a long time
    If you are trying to zero it in still, remember the scope clicks move the crosshairs to the last bullet hole you made by 1/4 inch per click and then you move the gun and sights High-Clock, Right-Clock is how I remember it. If its landing high, I click the top turret clockwise, anti-clockwise if its going low. If its going right, turn the side turret clockwise, if its going left, turn the side turret anti-clockwise. You should be able to work out how many clicks either way to get it right by the distance you are from the target and how far the shot was away from where you hit.
    If you were 100m away and one inch to the left off, wind the side turret 4 clicks and it should hit the spot. Start at 25 metres so you dont have to walk so far, and make a adjustments, dead on at 25 metres can still be a bit out at longer ranges, but start at the short range. Try aiming at each subsequent bullet hole and this will show were minor adjustments are needed. Pay attention when adjusting dont just twiddle.
    I thought I know a bit about it, but yesterday it took me ages to get it shooting 2 inches low at 50metres to suit a better trajectory , it had been dead on at 50m which made it way too high at closer ranges, so I had been missing close shots. Good Luck

bench testing tip

very good idea
    i use a couple of sand bags i acquired from the a1m