Thread: webley spectre, what are they like ??

webley spectre, what are they like ??

Following one from another thread i held one of these in nthe gun shop the other day and liked it alot....so whos had one and what are they like ?....how many shots from a fill would one get...
    the one i saw had a £500 price tag on it.....feels a bit steep ??...second hand i believe.
    'The person who sais it cannot be done should not interupt the person doing it' _ old chinese proverb

Look out for one second hand.It will be nearly half the price as they are not fashionable.We bought one for the father in law as he had seen it in a magazine.Very light easy to use.It was the first pre charge I had used 7 because of this switched from a spring to pre charge.I had a Air arms 410 for a while but prefered the Spectre,so swapped it for a RWS Scimitar then swapped that for a RWS Cutlass that I still have.Any problems that you have with these rebadged FX guns you can contact FX direct (by phone) & they will send you free of charge spares including replacement stocks.Have a look at FX website http://www.fxairguns.net/ & you will see the different varients of their guns.It is best to try one first if you can.a lot of peopl don't seem to like that sort of gun,but it is personal choice.Do a search.You might find most people dislike them.I think when the MK 2 came out terry Doe did a review in one of the magazines that was very favourable.Steve

Spectre

I've had one of these for over a year and quite simply it the the most reliable and accurate gun I have at the moment. It will put pellet on pellet for the whole of the air charge, 200 Bar down to 50, well over 120 shots. The magazine cannot go wrong, the action is very simple, easy and smooth and to cap it all it is one of the prettiest rifles about. I've the ,177 varient which appears to be as common as hen's teeth. To be perfectly candid the rifle does not get used as much as it should as it is so consistant there is little challenge but I wouldn't part with it.

Pembroke, Pembrokeshire, South West Wales
    Am I right in thinking that there are 2 different versions of the spectre?? I seem to remember the chap in my local shop showing me a style with a regular bolt and (I think) a buddy bottle AND a version with a biathlon type bolt and fixed air tank?? Are these 2 different versions??
    Lovely gun though, actually thinking about getting the regular bolt version.

All the best,
    Sam

a fantastic gun. effortless cocking. although the ben taylor cyclone looks very nice and similar. but excellent guns
    ford focus. 133bhp 262ft/ib of torque
    anshutz 8002
    RIVINGTON RIFLEMEN & WENDOVER FTC

mattu3 Guest
    Is the spectre the fx2000, looks the same.

no. they both use the same action and magasine but use differnt cocking methods and have differnt stocks. dont know if they use the same barrel or resovior but its likley
    anshutz 8002

had a look at the FX site......are they only available in .22 ??.....and who sells these in the UK ?
    thx
    'The person who sais it cannot be done should not interupt the person doing it' _ old chinese proverb

Try here

http://www.bentaylorandson.co.uk/index.html

I bought a new cyclone today. Very nice!

There you are then. Does anyone else have a .177 to compare? Grateful for any input! Still excellent above par rifles.

nice one 16 grain when we gunna get some pics
    anshutz 8002

Smile Useful weapon. (But I'm biased !!!)

I have been shooting one of these for about two years (20 months via a friend who had gone abroad, more recently my own.)

Like most guns they have pro's and cons.

Pro's: Light / accurate / well made / great cycling of rounds.

Cons: Plastic stock has a fragile reputation, as maybe the floating barrel. No indexing on the magazine. Average shot capacity per charge, limited amount of accessories. (Pretty unfashionable in a Webley guise?)

Overal I really like the Spectre, but I use mine for mainly 'walking' hunting. I like the aspect of its weight, which then allows the use of a heavy scope.
    I like the plastic stock, but the BTAS Cyclone at £599, regulated, 3 power settings, beautiful walnut stock and quality silencer makes your choice easy.

Buy one !
    Because the best is barely good enough........

surprised to hear bout the fragile plastic stock.....always thought they were more durable than wood....
    i like alot of the features on the ben taylor cyclone but not particulary in love with the american walnut from what i have seen....and the cocking lever looks a little far recessed ?

16 grain, would be interested to hear how you get on with it mate...will expect a full review t some point ....ive also got hold of the march issue of airgun world which has a review on one.

if the plastic stoc is a bit dodgy then you could justget the walnut version
    anshutz 8002

Quote Originally Posted by ross H
    if the plastic stoc is a bit dodgy then you could justget the walnut version
    DEFINITELY get the walnut version. I had the placcy model, it snapped down from the safety catch to the trigger guard. And no, I hadn't played cricket with it!
    When I talked to Webley I was told it was a known problem and was recommended to replace it with a walnut job. Now, if it was a "known problem", why did they keep selling them?