Thread: carbine or standard?

Question carbine or standard?

hi everyone i was wondering if any people on here could explain to me the differences of these?i believe carbine is shorter?but are there any other pros/cons on the matter?if so i would really appreciate it if some kind sole would explain for me,this may just be me being stupid but i couldnt find much about it using the "search".any help will be greatly recieved,cheers.
    jamie
    jamie
    aa s410 classic .177
    bsa lightning xl .22
    walther cp88 .177

http://s11.invisionfree.com/hunter_world/index.php?

Gary C Guest
    Carbine

Shorter
    Lighter
    More pointable

Full Length
    More shots

Same accuracy

ianps Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary C
    Carbine

Shorter
    Lighter
    More pointable

Full Length
    More shots

Same accuracy
    Just about sums that one up then....

full length only more shots if its a PCP

Could you argue that carbines *can* be more accurate as the pellet is travelling along the barrel for less time, therefore theres less chance of you wobbling it about and missing?

Also carbines look cool

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker24seven
    Could you argue that carbines *can* be more accurate as the pellet is travelling along the barrel for less time, therefore theres less chance of you wobbling it about and missing?

Also carbines look cool
    No, Carbines are less accurate because you're 4 inches further away from the target.

It's my understanding that since a carbine has air pressure behind the pellet for a shorter duration it's marginally less powerfull than if it were there for a longer travel...

But then I'm old, grey and may be losing my marble's
    For NV spotter and add-on videos, paste > some bloke night vision < into YouTube search bar

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Pierre
    No, Carbines are less accurate because you're 4 inches further away from the target.

Damn... beat me to it...!
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

ok so am i right in saying apart from weight and length there is no difference as to accuracy etc?and its just personal preference right?cheers for your help guys,much appreciated.
    jamie
    jamie
    aa s410 classic .177
    bsa lightning xl .22
    walther cp88 .177

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Pierre

I stand corrected

Quote Originally Posted by some bloke
    It's my understanding that since a carbine has air pressure behind the pellet for a shorter duration it's marginally less powerfull than if it were there for a longer travel...
    For the same valve and hammer settings, yes - but since most rifles are sold as being on the legal limit, I would think that the shorter barrel length is compensated for - this of course results in less shots per fill.

Quote Originally Posted by jamier
    ok so am i right in saying apart from weight and length there is no difference as to accuracy etc?and its just personal preference right?cheers for your help guys,much appreciated.
    jamie

That's pretty much it. Carbines are often found to be better for hunting, particularly if you pest control from a hide or vehicle as the barrel length then becomes an issue.

ok thanks for all the help everyone ive now decided to go for a standard length s410 as i find my bsa lightning xl pretty short as it is so felt like a change.thanks again.jamie
    jamie
    aa s410 classic .177
    bsa lightning xl .22
    walther cp88 .177

Quote Originally Posted by jamier
    ok thanks for all the help everyone ive now decided to go for a standard length s410 as i find my bsa lightning xl pretty short as it is so felt like a change.thanks again.jamie
    Can't go wrong with any 410, although with silencer added it will look like a fully extended Roach Pole.

chris ballard Guest
    Get a 410K man!!

Single hole (ok...bloody big holes but its me you are talking about ) groups out at 40-50yards (depending on weather, wet seaweed, time of month, moon phase, the alignment of Saturn and Jupiter, bipod etc etc) and yes, it will fit in your garage (It'l go rusty though)!!

No seriously, do as you feel fit and what suits you.

I must admit, I love my 410k to bits, it has been regged etc, but it was a nice gun before. That said, my TX200hc (which I fitted with a silencer and does liik like a fully extended roach pole) is more stable kneeling with the extra weight....but I would'nt take it far hunting