Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rooks in my chimny

carl sutcliffe Guest

Talking rooks in my chimny

can anone tell me. if i can shoot a pair of rucks nesting in my chimney got to keep getting sweep out to clear out two or 3 bin liners of twigs so dont die of carbon monoxide poisoning its a cottage in a row. am i with in my rights to stand in my garden an shoot them cheers carl

chris ballard Guest
    Chuck petrol on the fire...that'l do it!!!

Its stopped snowing

I could be wrong Carl but I think the only way you could safely and legally shoot them is if you attract them onto the lawn of your back garden (if you have such a thing) and dispose of them there, assuming you can be certain that if you miss the pellet won't leave your property. Pest control in a domestic garden is tricky and has to be set up carefully. Best if you can get your near neighbours on side before you start.

carl sutcliffe Guest

rooks in my chimney

nabours all have same promlem no problem with them

windowrest is offline I may be quick but never flippant
    break a couple of eggs on the ground, they will soon spot them, then you can er.. sort them out

Talking Solution

Apart from shooting them the best thing is to fit a bird cowl to the chimney -that will stop any birds getting in and also stop other debris entering. Might also reduce the downdraught a little too.

Easy enough to fit and there are lots of companies on the net that can supply them.

ATB
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

try luring them into your garden and taking them out 1 by 1....you actually may get more rooks to land in the garden from your neighbours chimneys and earn a few brownie points!

quarry identification is key to hunting with an air rifle. Please correct me if i am wrong but rooks don't nest in chimneys they nest in large numbers in high trees called a rookery. The quarry you suggest that is nesting in your chimney is the jackdaw! Wire mesh on your chimney pot will put a stop to any attempts of nest building, and prevent a visit from the cops!
    He who never made a mistake never learned anything!
    He who never missed never shot!

you could get some chimney cleaning rods and ram the nests out and then put a chimney cover on the pots

carl sutcliffe Guest

rooks in my chimney

put eggs in garden and and got lots of dead rooks despatched with my air arms 22 410 cheers for all the coments thaks carl

chris ballard Guest
    Got any rockets left over from Nov 5th??

Quote Originally Posted by L-S-R
    quarry identification is key to hunting with an air rifle. Please correct me if i am wrong but rooks don't nest in chimneys they nest in large numbers in high trees called a rookery. The quarry you suggest that is nesting in your chimney is the jackdaw!
    Quite right. Jackdaws are real pests, and they are quite intelligent, so they are not easily lured onto the ground within shooting range.Rooks are a lot bigger, the jackdaw has a grey area on its face to make identifying them easier.Side by side, it is easy to tell the bigger crow and rook compared to the small jackdaw.
    The best route to go for is to get someone up on the roof, remove the nest, then fit some wire mesh on top to stop them trying again.Once they know a good nesting site, they will be back if not killed, so get some mesh on the top of your chimney asap.
    Alan.

Hang on guys, you don't know they're not Rooks..Carl may just have a really big chimney.

chris ballard Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Pierre
    Hang on guys, you don't know they're not Rooks..Carl may just have a really big chimney.

Sarky Goit!!

Could be very big blackbirds....or small Ravens.....Bats......Choughs...with dirty beaks......Immature ring ouzels...no, theyre brown....

I'll get my coat

chris ballard Guest
    Albatross.....black browed or.....sooty mantled perhaps