Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your 50yd groups..

Your 50yd groups..

I've owned a reasonable range of precharged rifles over the time I've been shooting, and have never found any of them to group better than around an inch at 50yds. Certainly I've had the odd half inch (or less) group, but never consistantly.

I used to shoot FT, but jacked it in through lack of confidence in my kit - what's the point of shooting at a target that's only marginally larger than the groups the rifle can produce? I didn't feel it was much of a test of my skill if a miss at longer range could be attributed to the rifle.

I've long tinkered with ways of making various rifles I've owned more accurate, usually without success. My target is to own a gun that will consistantly group at 0.5" c-c or less at 50yds - external conditions permitting, of course.

I realise I'm the common factor in all this inaccuracy, but I have been shooting a reasonably long time, am not too shabby and have always shot off a purpose made bench rest.

What I'd like to know is, what will your rifle(s) group like at 50yds off a rest in windless conditions? I'd like average / consistant group sizes please - not the single best one, or one your mate heard about down the pub..

I'm trying to gauge if I'm chasing an obtainable goal or not.

Would also be interested in knowing what rifle and pellet combos you're using to produce these groups.

Thanks for any information

Northernspark Guest
    Shoot at 50 yards?

I can't SEE to 50 yards

Steve

roblade is offline Time for a coffee........;-)
    an average day down the club i can get a few groups sub 1" at 45 yards. If i cant get them within 1" at that distance im not happy with the rifle or my shooting, and yes you do get the odd flyer some you know what happens (snatch the trigger ) and some are the pellets, and some god knows what pushes them off LOL

Though must say a good day for me is hitting 10/10 golf balls at 50 yards no idea what size they are but think they are about 1.5"? maybe a little bigger???

so sub 1" groupings would be a good grouping though i thiknk a PCP rifle should be getting closer to the 0.5" groupings never kno might try all the above with one one day

ROB

PS those shots stated above were with a tx200 in .22
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) the bunnies are coming!
    (")_(") THE BUNNIES ARE COMING!!!!!

to spring? or not to spring? that is the question. oh sod it get them both!!!!

50 yd Groups

Try a aa400/410 classic with a good scope and it is very achievable.

My misses can do it at 60 yds standing up free hand.

We have tried it standing up in a hammock in a gale force wind but we kept falling out!!!!!!!!!

Northernspark Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by extec
    Try a aa400/410 classic with a good scope and it is very achievable.

My misses can do it at 60 yds standing up free hand.

We have tried it standing up in a hammock in a gale force wind but we kept falling out!!!!!!!!!
    Sub 1" groups standing at 60 yards?

Gentlemen, we have our next Ft champion

Steve

Clamp a rifle up (not rested, clamped), and shoot a group. Most PCP's are capable of putting in 10-5p sized groups at this distance. Shooting a group yourself at this distance is much more challenging, and indeed soul destroying.

I wouldnt worry about if the kit is up to it, i'd get out there and shoot courses rather than paper targets.

In FT you only have to get one shot in that 40mm disc per target, not 5 or 10 so psychologically its a very different game.

All the rifles i've owned have put in better groups off my knee rather than rested.

Mart.

i did a lot (in fact way too much) testing in a big warehouse, both this year and last year.
    my "ex team" crx with 4.51 daystates would do 10mm groups all the time out to 58 yds, and go single hole many times.
    but any other pellet would spread ouy upto 3 inches
    the anschutz 2002 i replaced it with was a little more "open" grouping but still within 10mm and takes less wind outdoors.
    lazadomes were good but jsb seemed to spread
    my new 8002 will do nearly pellet on pellet at 55 yds until i get bored of shooting it (jsb 4.52)
    a mates daystate mk3 would do 10mm with lazadomes or shotgun pattern with jsb/daystate

but each preffered a different type op pellet preparation

washed/lubed/polished/straight out the box

hth

si
    ISP airsteam mk3 twin reg serial no. 1.
    Gary cane laminate stock.
    March 80mag optics.

Steve O,

Why, is this not the norm for ladies?

Northernspark Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by extec
    Steve O,

Why, is this not the norm for ladies?
    Sir, me thinks you are having a giraffe.

Steve

pm'ed you rob..
    'The person who sais it cannot be done should not interupt the person doing it' _ old chinese proverb

Smile

Hi Simon
    My steyr will do 10mm groups out to 55yrds
    thats from a bench rest
    with weighed jsb 4.52
    started weighing my pellets for comps less flyers

allan
    Rude Fat Dog 10/22Browning Buckmark pistol

Steve O,

Quote Originally Posted by allanb
    Hi Simon
    My steyr will do 10mm groups out to 55yrds
    thats from a bench rest
    with weighed jsb 4.52
    started weighing my pellets for comps less flyers

allan
    bloody show off ! .....dunno if iam shooting in the same county at that range with my TX..lol
    'The person who sais it cannot be done should not interupt the person doing it' _ old chinese proverb

pixybasher Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O
    Sub 1" groups standing at 60 yards?

Gentlemen, we have our next Ft champion

Steve
    Naaaa.....I cant do that

Gibbon Guest
    (another chance to post my fave 'montage' pic)
    My humble springer shoots 5p sized groups @ 58yds. That's from a rested position (see pic), on a good day when I haven't consumed too much of that strong French black coffee stuff !

It's a big photo.... view at full size & you can see the pellet holes through the scope