Thread: Relum tornado

Relum tornado

Well not so long ago my dad handed down his relum tornado .22 to me

So i decided to take it out for a shot.

I was impressed ith the accuracy considering its been stuck in a shed for over 15 years which hasnt done it much good, rusting on the barrel, rusty spring etc.

Its got a nice beech wood stock which does scratch easily, and it sems to be soft.

It hasnt got an anti bear trap mechanism, which is and isnt an advantage.

Its light too roughly weiging 6.5 lbs making it lighter than the smaller stingray karbine i own.

overall im quite impressed, but i am finiding it difficult to find a replacement spring. Do any of the OX springs fit this rifle? or wont the cylinder take it?

any information would be appreciated.

thanks for reading my review

Tom

I used to have a similar piece of Hungarian monkey metal called the Rapide. It was my first gun, given to me when I was 12, and it was a small break barrel.

It bopped off squirrels, pigeons, rats and empty 12 bore cases very nicely at up to 30 yards. I had a little 4 x 20 scope on it after a while and I could hit a cartridge case 9/10 at 30 yards with it. Wish I had kept it. In fact I once saw my Uncle shoot an apple from a tree 25 yards away - he shot at and hit the stalk that the apple was hanging by, from a standing position. Happy memories.

Your Tornado is a heavier gun and has a bigger chamber I think. It should be a shade more powerful. These were never the best of guns and will never be as good as even an old BSA Meteor for example.

You can get spares from Chambers.

http://www.chambersgunmakers.co.uk/relum.htm

I hope you enjoy shooting this gun for what it is.

You might wish to look up the guide to lubricating and tuning a springer on here in this section, you might have to alter the settings to display posts up to 6-12 months old to view it though.

All the best

chris ballard Guest
    I have recently re-blued my rusty old rapide (it has rapide written in the box, for some reason I always knew it as a 522).

Sadly, the barrel is a bit bent (must ahve got let go off at some time) but it is still accurate enough.

I have an old 4x20 webley site on mine.

It was my first air rifle, and it sits with my AA 410k and TX200hc and a whoel gaggle of pistols in a nice comfy gun cabinet.

Sadly, I cannot get hold of an original complete rear sight, but when I get round to beating the barrel back into line, its going out again (its the only .22 I own ).

Did'nt realise its pellets would go 30yards, let alone hit what it was aimed at...well there you go.

Gonna straighten that berrel tonight, we have a shootathon on sunday...could be a laugh

Hi Chris

I'm reminded that I had to have the barrel straightened on my old Rapide after the barrel closed rather unexpectedly at some time in the dim & distant past ! It was not expensive..

Hello Mate,
    Being a Hallway Plinker I too have one of these. I bought mine about a couple of years ago. The previous owner put in a plastic sleeved Ox spring. I have never had the chance to test mine over distance, but it's nice and smooth and has good power, way too much for my hallway!
    Relum Tornado

knighthawk Guest
    hi the standard BSA airsporter spring works best in the tornado . don't use overpowerd springs as they will snap the sear

The Tornado takes 2 springs,one smaller one inside a bigger one.

its called a concentric spring excuse the spelling if it wrong

regards

tom

Believe it or not, Dave Welham used to get the Relum Tornado and Zephyre's working for FT. I had one as my first Air rifle. I think Dave used to change the spring and use a nylon or PTFE washer and a few other things and they shot very well indeed.
    I think that he could actually get more power by removing the inner spring. If you want some advice on doing it up, give him a call.

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by arjimlad
    Hi Chris

I'm reminded that I had to have the barrel straightened on my old Rapide after the barrel closed rather unexpectedly at some time in the dim & distant past ! It was not expensive..
    Too right it was'nt expensive. I held it in the vice and pushed against it with my weight (quite a lot as it happens). I held a steel ruler against the block and stopped when everything looked parrallel

It shot quite niceley as it happens. Would be great for a kid.

The sight got a bit tempremental, but could have been sticking. The MPI dropped about 8" at 25yds, so I wound the screws in and out and it all seems settled.

I could buy a new sight, plenty of cheepo's about, but I wanted to keep it original.

Since then, the shop owner (a friend who I shoot with) was impressed enough with the finish he gave me a near complete rear sight unit. I was very kindly donated an elevation screw by Midland Airgun Spares (thanks Chris) so I now have a complete gun.

Just splashed out on a nice, basic, thin leather sling too (had a big cobra one on and looked a bit silly) so it looks quite smart...the odd dent but teher you go, kids eh?

Have to try it on open sights next
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

I must have used mine with open sights for two years. It still rattled those cartridge cases a treat.

How I wish I still had it, for my son. Although I expect he will have something better for his first gun.