Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: range finding tips

gavindack Guest

Exclamation range finding tips

I was just wondering for HFT does anyone have any good range finding tips that they would like to share. Or does most of the people just look and estimate. Because i am strugaling a bit

tried estimating distance using the cross hairs and the kill zone? Also you can try using the paralax shift at different ranges as well.

or buy an ior scope with loads of lines as the reticule. failing that ask one of the course setters if they want a FREE £10. that seams to do the job lol
    ford focus. 133bhp 262ft/ib of torque
    anshutz 8002
    RIVINGTON RIFLEMEN & WENDOVER FTC

gavindack Guest
    thats is what im going to try and do with my new bushnel 4200 but you can not adjust your scope in HFT so ther for the paralax is useles

Kill Zone Size

As HFT kill zones are standard sizes, learn how many mill dots each covers at various ranges and the respective hold over / under for that range. That just leaves you to estimate which size kill zone you are facing! (Assuming of course you are using a mill dot reticle )

I don't understand the paralax shift method though.

i just shoot a .22 for a while. this makes your range finding good to within a few yards cause if you use a .22 and estimate wrong you will miss. try it. it worked for me
    anshutz 8002

Lash13 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by simon77
    As HFT kill zones are standard sizes, learn how many mill dots each covers at various ranges and the respective hold over / under for that range. That just leaves you to estimate which size kill zone you are facing! (Assuming of course you are using a mill dot reticle )

I don't understand the paralax shift method though.
    LV buggered that system up...you needed an encyclopedia of KZ sizes to range find

Quote Originally Posted by Lash13
    LV buggered that system up...you needed an encyclopedia of KZ sizes to range find
    You could try using the whole target size ( rabbits are X" crows are x" etc ) if they are consitant but bracketting is difficult at the low mags HFT use.

or i used to visualise my home range (back garden) over the lane ie the end of the garadge is at 20 yrds and would be about that tree
    estimate closer ranges and build up ie that tree is 10 yrds the next is another 15 etc

if you use higher mag you may get a PA advantage where the image is sharp its the range you set on the PA so you can tell if the target is closer or further or which tree or marker is at your PA range etc then go from there

best to use 177 and maximise the use of the flat trajectory at the longer ranges using scope hight then Practice practice range estimation all the time. even walking down the street you can guestimate and pace off while shes in the shops Shoe dept to stockings row 3 is 45 yrds so 1" hold over mmmm Yes dear looks fine

ATB

Dunc

one 'trick' i was taught by dave whelham and barry mcgraw was instead of bracketing the kill zone you bracket from the spring clip thing to the top of the kill. that way it doesnt matter what size kill it is. this falls apart though when the kill is in the head
    anshutz 8002

Lash13 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ross H
    one 'trick' i was taught by dave whelham and barry mcgraw was instead of bracketing the kill zone you bracket from the spring clip thing to the top of the kill. that way it doesnt matter what size kill it is. this falls apart though when the kill is in the head
    I used to rely on the hinge to KZ method...but the KZ's are being moved now...so that is also out. I don't think the animal shapes are consistent in size either.

I should imagine that with these 15mm kills, peeps have been sneaky by plating an existing target and putting holes in non central places
    Also, I don't think people still have 40mm OR 25mm targets any more, more like 40,38,36,34 and 25,27,29mm kills ....

That'll screw things up a bit

Quote Originally Posted by andy_scouser
    Also, I don't think people still have 40mm OR 25mm targets any more, more like 40,38,36,34 and 25,27,29mm kills ....

We aim to please

Pete

Lash13 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by andy_scouser
    I should imagine that with these 15mm kills, peeps have been sneaky by plating an existing target and putting holes in non central places

It certainly screwed me up at LV

To be honest, i like it this way. I used to try and bracket and often got it wrong. Since giving up on the idea, I am getting better at ranging by eye. Still not spot on, but getting there all the same.

Lash13 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky
    We aim to please

Pete
    LV was the worst score I've had in years...thanks Pete