Thread: Shortening a spring

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Shortening a spring

Morning - how easy is it to shorten a spring and not muck it up ??

I have done a search on here and have read about people doing it, but I never have and just wondered about attempting it and am worried about getting the end nicely squared off again!

Cheers.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

Arrow

I found it quite easy if you have an angle grinder and power file. Whatever you use don't be tempted to cut too much off at once-at the most one coil at a time. Flatten the cut end with the electric file/angle grinder, replace and test.
    Trying to cut a tempered steel spring with a saw or hand cutting tools is quite an effort-you really do need power tools not just to reduce the effort but also to make a really neat job.
    Good luck.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Talking Ah

Thanks for that.

The other threads I had read had suggested the need to use heat to bend in the end to be flattened ! I have an angle grinder and if I can use that then I think I may be in business.

I have the old spring I took out to try on first before I try and shorten the Venom jobby.

Cheers.

Getting the end face flat again is the hardest bit, as you say, heat the last bit to bend it a bit, then use a bench grinder, and wet and dry to finish it off.
    You can shorten it a small amount by heating the last 3 coils or so red hot to destroy the temper, and pushing the end onto a steel plate. This keeps the end, but means you have to retemper it.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Talking Heat

I was really hoping to get away with just cutting and angle grinding the end flat without recourse to heat !

We only have leccy where we live and no gas !!!

Ta.

Gwylan:

I have shortened a couple of springs and heated them up to close up the last couple of coils, then ground the ends flat and polished with wet&dry. I didn't re-temper them though, and they both seem to be working fine... Both in medium-powered pistols though, not rifles.

How would you go about re-tempering a spring?

Cheers for any info!

Rob M