Thread: General Shooting Tips

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Very useful thread for a newbie so to speak like myself just starting out. thanks

As an ex Military weapons instructors ( skillie) I definitely agree with all the safety tips in the previous comments.
    As an aside, to assist in members shooting skills may I recite the marksmanship principals,

1. The position and hold must be firm enough to support the weapon. ( Your firing position, kneeling,sitting,squatting,standing or prone, either supported or unsupported, and the way you hold the weapon in the shoulder)

2. The weapon must point naturally at the target without undue physical effort. ( Once the weapon is lined up with the target move the body to the weapon into a relaxed comfortable position, don’t twist the body to be able to sight the target)

3. Sight alignment and sight picture must be correct. ( Eye, sight and target should be in line with a good centralised picture)

4. The shot must be released and followed through without any disturbance of the position. ( Regulated breathing and correct trigger action will follow through the shot without disturbing the position)

Adaptation of all 4 marksmanship principals will definitely make you a better shot, whether target shooting or vermin/sports hunting.However if new to shooting, then start at principle 1, work on it until you achieve your own acceptable firing positions and hold, then move on to principal 2 and so on.

Hope this will help some members if they didn’t know these principals.
    Cheers

Very good thread, and should be read by all new joiners. It should be kept current.