Yep , excellent advice ... very informative ... I would just like to point out that air rifles do discharge accidently and it is not that rare , drop a spring gun and it may well discharge , trip and fall into a tree and it may discharge at chest height ... most safeties only disarm the trigger itself , but a strong jolt may well discharge the gun internally ... I purchased a brand new TX200HC and the bear trap did not work (damn nearly took my fingers off) I have never shot an under-lever rifle since ! ... Also , worn mechanisms and trigger units on older PCP's do also fail and discharge regardless of safety position ... even following all the rules , if you have a loaded gun , you are a danger to yourself and everything around you until it is unloaded ... end of story ! I never carry a loaded gun , absolutely NO EXCEPTIONS ... EVER ! I only load the weapon before discharge , if I loose my target , I discharge the rifle into the ground ... Yes , I know this is no good for hunting , but I just combine the loading and cocking of my rifle into the stalk , if the quarry hears it and gets away , then you need to work on your stealth skills ... even more so as you are now obliged to discharge your loaded weapon into the ground warning off the rest of the immediate quarry !
It is the only truly safe system as I know that my gun is NEVER loaded ... you soon get used to it and becomes second nature (also makes you a far better marksman/hunter)
I never allow anyone to touch my guns and always discharge into the ground a couple of times before loading a magazine (check there are no pellets in the breech and equalise the pressure after the re-fill)
My Lighthunter FN8 is no more than a stocked 12 ft/lb pistol and with no safety catch and the very short barrel , an accidental close range head shot to a fellow hunter would most likely be fatal ... it is this rifle that made me adopt my severe opinion but I have carried it successfully to all my other rifles ... I have a very good feeling about safety whilst out shooting and I know if there is ever an "accident" I know it has nothing to do with me or my guns !