Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: General Shooting Tips

Yep , excellent advice ... very informative ... I would just like to point out that air rifles do discharge accidently and it is not that rare , drop a spring gun and it may well discharge , trip and fall into a tree and it may discharge at chest height ... most safeties only disarm the trigger itself , but a strong jolt may well discharge the gun internally ... I purchased a brand new TX200HC and the bear trap did not work (damn nearly took my fingers off) I have never shot an under-lever rifle since ! ... Also , worn mechanisms and trigger units on older PCP's do also fail and discharge regardless of safety position ... even following all the rules , if you have a loaded gun , you are a danger to yourself and everything around you until it is unloaded ... end of story ! I never carry a loaded gun , absolutely NO EXCEPTIONS ... EVER ! I only load the weapon before discharge , if I loose my target , I discharge the rifle into the ground ... Yes , I know this is no good for hunting , but I just combine the loading and cocking of my rifle into the stalk , if the quarry hears it and gets away , then you need to work on your stealth skills ... even more so as you are now obliged to discharge your loaded weapon into the ground warning off the rest of the immediate quarry !
    It is the only truly safe system as I know that my gun is NEVER loaded ... you soon get used to it and becomes second nature (also makes you a far better marksman/hunter)
    I never allow anyone to touch my guns and always discharge into the ground a couple of times before loading a magazine (check there are no pellets in the breech and equalise the pressure after the re-fill)
    My Lighthunter FN8 is no more than a stocked 12 ft/lb pistol and with no safety catch and the very short barrel , an accidental close range head shot to a fellow hunter would most likely be fatal ... it is this rifle that made me adopt my severe opinion but I have carried it successfully to all my other rifles ... I have a very good feeling about safety whilst out shooting and I know if there is ever an "accident" I know it has nothing to do with me or my guns !

some good advice

safety

Quote Originally Posted by Supermick View Post
    Tip Numbers 1 to 10
    Tip Detail
    1 Join the Airgun BBS
    http://www.airgunbbs.com
    2 Always treat rifle as if its loaded
    3 Always keep your hand on the barrel or underlever of a springer when cocking.
    4 Join the BASC and/or BASA and join an airgun club
    5 Squeeze, don't pull or jerk the trigger
    6 check charging equipment before use for tightness.
    7 Never point a weapon in jest.
    8 Always try a gun before you buy
    9 Never leave a loaded gun unattended....even for a second
    10 if its got a safety catch....use it

Bullbarrell and many others
    any safety tip is a good tip

Gun Safety

Never load/cock a weapon unless you are going to fire it !

Very useful advice. Although I have no doubt some old and bold will be thinking this is all common sense. In the military we use the phrase 'familiarity breeds contempt' to explain that even if you handle firearms everyday this too can lead to people just going through the motions or adapting drills. There have been several incidents that unfortunately prove this over the last few years that have resulted in accidental deaths or serious injuries. It is worth reading this post once in a while to remind yourself what you should be doing. From my point of view how you carry the firearm is paramount, always regardless of load state pointing to the sky or the ground unless you are going to fire it and regardless of safety catch state only put your finger on the trigger when you intend to pull it.

Really informative thread. It will make a good read for my 11year old son. He has just started to take an interest in hunting!!

Easy to read & simple

Very nice lists. Easy to read and informative - Hopefully I'll be able to get my partner on the bandwagon with these !

Actually some great advice there. Be amazed how many people I've seen not taking hold of the barrel when loading.

It just goes to show that good advice does not change over time. Posts from many years ago are just as valid as today's advice.

Many thanks for all the advice and some pretty scary stories.

Play safe,

Joe
    Still trying to get the hang of this shooting lark!
    Air Arms S510 Carbine SL
    Weihrauch HW100 KS FSB 0.177

This is a tip that helped me. Set up a fairly large target with a crosshair drawn form top to bottom and side to side. With the gun empty, focus on the front sight and aim at the center of the crosshair. Press the trigger in one steady pull. At the second the hammer falls, observe the position of the front sight: high, low, left or right of center. Right or left of the crosshair can be caused by finger pressure to the side of the trigger or the thumb pushing against the side of the pistol. Above or below the crosshair is caused by jerking or anticipation of the hammer fall.
    Land Owner and Proud Supporter of 2nd Amendment JT Magbe Contracting

Very informative thread that should be common sense, a reminder is always welcome.

Always treat a weapon as loaded, I first got told that 20 years ago and its still the best advice i have ever been given.

Some great advice in here

general question

Hope this is the right place to ask. One of my springer's is an old webley osprey side lever, it shoots (any) 22 pellet I throw down its neck and i use it to use up the otherwise wasted odd mis sized pellets that my other springer's don't like, does anyone know if there is a pcp equivalent ? i.e. one that isnt too pellet fussy ?

probably a good thread to read as my 1st post. I've never used an air rifle in my life although I did fire a 303 and 765 I think it was whist in the air cadets in the 80's. We had safety drummed into us then and I still remember it.