Thread: Muzzle brakes / air strippers - How much is accuracy improved?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Muzzle brakes / air strippers - How much is accuracy improved?

Everyone seems to accept that a brake or stripper can improve the accuracy of a rifle, but by how much?

Does anyone have any before and after group measurements?

If so, what type of rifle and brake were used?

Thanky

kieran turner is offline I GOT SHOT......IN THE BUTTOCKS
    To be fair a muzzlebrake will not improve accuracy by a great deal, I put one on my HW100s .177 and on paper at 35y the average overall differnce it made to group sizes was 2mm at, an improvment but not a huge improvement. I think the muzzlebrakes effect on accuracy is probably more noticable at extreme range. It would be interesting if someone put one an FAC air rifle and shot group sizes at say 70y with and without the silencer, but you would need ideal conditions which we seldom get. All this said I have heard quite a few people claim the opposite to, that muzzlebrakes decreased the accuracy of their rifles. Both these rifles were Daystates and they were fitted with the MFC brake **** e groups by daystates standards with it on, but they then put the original primary silencer back on and group sizes improved considerably.

fitted one to an aa s2oo this week (only the 2nd i have made)

the feel of the rifle is transformed upon firing. in windy conditions today it was as grouping tighter than i could have hoped for.

made it feel much "deader" than the std gun

the difference between before and after is dramatic

si
    ISP airsteam mk3 twin reg serial no. 1.
    Gary cane laminate stock.
    March 80mag optics.

kieran turner is offline I GOT SHOT......IN THE BUTTOCKS
    I must say when I had my muzzle brake fitted to the HW100 it felt actually not much different to when the silencer was on, but...... shoot the gun without either the silencer or the brake and there was quite a high degree of muzzle flip.

I find my groupings are about the same with or without a compensator but the flip defininitly reduces, that makes me more confident in my shot and therefore increases my mental attitude. I say if it works for you then go for it, if the only thing that comes of it is a positive mental attitude then you are on a winner, same goes for the lubed/unlubed pellet theory.

Colin.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    AA S410, one gun, and I know how to use it.