Thread: Crosman 2260 Rabbitstopper

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs down Crosman 2260 Rabbitstopper

The Crosman Rabbitstopper 2260 air rifle is a single shot, bolt action, .22 calibre C02 powered rifle manufactured in the States and predominantly aimed at the youth market.

My Dad bought this rifle around two years ago with a cheap 4x20 scope for just under £150. The first thing that struck me about this rifle was the stunning stock (walnut?) which would not look out of place on a rifle twice as expensive and, along with the small brass bolt, help make this rifle pleasing to the eye.

A quick glance around the rest of the rifle confirmed my fears. Trigger-plastic, trigger guard-plastic, breech/bolt housing-plastic. All of the plastic on this rifle make it look and feel like something from the latest Toys'R'Us catalogue and not a proper pellet gun.

The 2260 takes a single C02 bulb and once this is in place the rifle will be set to do around 20-25 shots at around the 8-10 ft/lb mark (a little low for full on hunting but fine for close range ratting, ferals and plinking). The accuracy of this rifle is second to none with one hole groups at 25 yards easily achived.

The trigger is a heavy non-adjustable affair which dosn't aid accuracy at long distances but is adequate for close range work.

The open sights supplied with the rifle are near useless. On my rifle the hood from the front sight came off within days of me having it so I decided a decent scope was required. Big mistake. The Rabbitstopper lacks dovetails and therefore a set of promounts must be purchaced which clamp to the barrel onto which you mount your scope.

These mounts have a habit of sliding left and right on the barrel which means the scope will move out of zero if knocked even gently. These promounts are also too far forward even when mounted as close as possible to the breech and so to get a decent sight picture I was having to crane my neck. The low cheekpiece also dosn't help with eye alignment and so eventually I had to remove the scope and admit defeat.

In the US this rifle is priced at around £60, which is much nearer its true value however we pay more than twice that over on this side of the pond. Rip-off Britain as usual!

I would say that if you are looking for a rifle in this price range steer well clear of the Crosman 2260. A decent springer such as the AGS SR2 will do all the 2260 can do and more. However if you are hell bent on a C02 rifle have a look at the qb78/79, both priced well below the rabbitstopper and superb rifles.

The Crosman Rabbitstopper-leave it on the shelf.
    Last edited by Home Brew; 22-03-2006 at 05:54 PM.
    HW97k