Thread: Rifle choice: Mk3, X2, s410k..others???

Visual_Defect Guest

Rifle choice: Mk3, X2, s410k..others???

Hi Folks,
    Basically I've not shot air rifles for 20 years and want to get back into the game.
    I still own my BSA Mercury (can't find them for sale now, so I guess it's old hat now!). Once I figure out the best way, I'm going to recondition it. But...

I want to buy one of these new-fangled, multi-shot, precharged rifles thingys. They look fun!
    I'm considering the Daystate X2sr & Mk3s (the only difference is the electronic trigger, yes?) and the AA s410 and TDR. I've always shot 22, but I'd quite like to try 177 this time, so I'm kinda drifting away from the TDR. I'd also prefer to stick to the shorter carbine type, as long as it doesn't significantly affect accuracy.

Use wise, I want it for field-target and the odd hunt-for-the-pot rabbit/pigeon.

So if you folks would be kind enough to express your opinions, I'd be more than grateful.

Oh, and does anyone know of clubs in the north-east of Scotland?

Cheers,

Defect

Quote Originally Posted by Visual_Defect
    Hi Folks,
    Basically I've not shot air rifles for 20 years and want to get back into the game.
    I still own my BSA Mercury (can't find them for sale now, so I guess it's old hat now!). Once I figure out the best way, I'm going to recondition it. But...

I want to buy one of these new-fangled, multi-shot, precharged rifles thingys. They look fun!
    I'm considering the Daystate X2sr & Mk3s (the only difference is the electronic trigger, yes?) and the AA s410 and TDR. I've always shot 22, but I'd quite like to try 177 this time, so I'm kinda drifting away from the TDR. I'd also prefer to stick to the shorter carbine type, as long as it doesn't significantly affect accuracy.

Use wise, I want it for field-target and the odd hunt-for-the-pot rabbit/pigeon.

So if you folks would be kind enough to express your opinions, I'd be more than grateful.

Oh, and does anyone know of clubs in the north-east of Scotland?

Cheers,

Defect
    You are way on the right lines, as my daughter would sometimes say.

I did a recondition on my BSA some time ago, dont get too powerful a spring. I might also invest in the PCP first as if you are like me you wont be taking the BSA out again.....

I have both Daystate X2 sports (.177) and S410 carbine (.22)

They are both superb. Try them in the gun shop but there is no bad choice.

General consensus on here is that .177 is best for legal-limit (sub 12ftlb) shooting but I dont want to start the .177 vs .22 debate. Go for .177 and you wont go wrong.

The AA carbine length, in my opinion, is much better than the classic length. I have owned both. The Daystate, with fitted 1st stage moderator out of the box, is fractionally longer. They both make about the same amount of noise. Silencers are partially effective, good for indoors I would say but dont worry too much if you are shooting outdoors. Let us know how you get on!
    Your work is both good and original. Unfortunately where it is good it is not original, and where it is original it is not good.

Gary C Guest
    410 if you want light
    MK3 if you want quality
    Air Wolf if you want the ultimate

the 410 is a great rifle
    Rhys
    Sako Finnfire .22lr

try em all. another under rated one is the webley fx200. brill gun and jsr have mega deals on em (i think) go on be differnt although i dunno why i say that cause s410's are great but everyone buys them or mk3's(although i wouldnt mind one of these)
    ford focus. 133bhp 262ft/ib of torque
    anshutz 8002
    RIVINGTON RIFLEMEN & WENDOVER FTC

Visual_Defect Guest
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll try all I can get hold of.

Does anyone know of any problems EVER with the Daystate electronic trigger etc? How cheap are they to repair if they do go?

Cheers,
    Defect

digitaldwarf is offline A big boy did it and he ran away!
    theres a five year warranty on daystates through BAR that alone speaks volumes for reliability
    and customer support is about the best in the business
    cant comment on the 410 as i have never had one
    best advice so far from Gary c
    DONT BEAM ME UP SCOTTY I'M HAVING A CR__.__..._......

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll try all I can get hold of.

Does anyone know of any problems EVER with the Daystate electronic trigger etc? How cheap are they to repair if they do go?

Cheers,
    Defect

Yes. Picked my Air Wolf up on last Thursday and the gun would not always arm when the safety was switched off. It was a case of Murphy's Law as the + ve charging lead was interfering with the lever on the micro-switch. Once diagnosed it took 5 minutes to fix, no cost. Fantastic gun.

Daystate appears to be a good company to deal with.

Campbell

Visual_Defect Guest
    Thanks again guys.

One last annoying question then I'll stop....

Is the Mk3 worth buying over the X2(regulated)?????

Cheers for the inputs as usual!

Defect

Tomahawkss is offline Nearly the "Last Man Standing"..... twice.
    Thanks again guys.

One last annoying question then I'll stop....

Is the Mk3 worth buying over the X2(regulated)?????

Cheers for the inputs as usual!

Defect
    Yes in IMHO (or get both in the MK3 RT ) you have got an electronic controlled firing valve which has benefits, do a search on the forum, specifically look for posts from David Snook, that will answer all you questions.
    Andy
    Short Stroked Venom Tomahawk !