Thread: Is it possible to make a beech stock look nice?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    aston_shooter is offline Sod the PCs, wheres me gun.......

Is it possible to make a beech stock look nice?

As above.....

I am in possession of a beech stock that's in need of a makeover. I could sand it down and start again, but my question is..... Is it possible to make a beech stock look nice? Is it worth spending time on?

My other option is to get the stock done in realtree by hydrographics.

What's your opinion?

I love to see a nicely finished piece of wood, but is that possible with a slab of beech? Or am I trying to polish a turd?

Opinions very much appreciated chaps

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    It's well possible, as long as it 'aint a total wreck to start with!

HTH.

Cheers.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

beech can turn out quite nice but dont expect the same results as walnut.

just a plain oil finish is very nice on beech as it may not take a lot of stains.

bennyblanco Guest
    you can do a lot with beech, it will never be as nice as good walnut but with a stain, some oil and a lot of hard work it will look nice.

this was a very plain beech stock.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9...tock0147th.jpg

I re-finished a 10/22 beech stock using the Birchwood Casey kit and it came out a lovely light blonde colour, really like it.

Neil
    Current airguns:- Steyr LG110: Steyr LP10: Air Arms HFT500: Weihrauch97 fully customised.

Ideot Savant Guest
    I recently refinished a beech stock but cocked it up with colron wood stain, I've since learnt that water based stains go on more even.
    The stock is now sprayed black, looks okay.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lash13 Guest

Spray painting

Hi mate, have you considered a spray paint finish like This

I charge £90 for a complete stock, stripped and professionally sprayed.
    (Thats about half the price of Hydrographics, its very tough and you can have any colour you want.)

Lee

Mad Mark Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by aston_shooter
    As above.....

I am in possession of a beech stock that's in need of a makeover. I could sand it down and start again, but my question is..... Is it possible to make a beech stock look nice? Is it worth spending time on?

My other option is to get the stock done in realtree by hydrographics.

What's your opinion?

I love to see a nicely finished piece of wood, but is that possible with a slab of beech? Or am I trying to polish a turd?

Opinions very much appreciated chaps
    RUB IT BACK TO WOOD SOME THICK ROPE. RAP IT ROUND THE STOCK SO THERE IS JUST LITTLE SLITS HERE AND THERE.THE NEXT THING A BLOW LAMP WERE THE LITTLE SLITES ARE GO OVER WITH THE LAMP TILL IT JUST STARTS TO BROWN DO IT WERE YOU WANT A THEN YOU HAVE TIGER STRIPS LIGHT RUB JUST TO GET THE BITS OF THEN OIL LOOKS VERY NICE IF ITS DONE RIGHT.THANKS MARK

A sleepy village Nr Skipton, a bit like Royston Va
    Quote Originally Posted by mad mark
    RUB IT BACK TO WOOD SOME THICK ROPE. RAP IT ROUND THE STOCK SO THERE IS JUST LITTLE SLITS HERE AND THERE.THE NEXT THING A BLOW LAMP WERE THE LITTLE SLITES ARE GO OVER WITH THE LAMP TILL IT JUST STARTS TO BROWN DO IT WERE YOU WANT A THEN YOU HAVE TIGER STRIPS LIGHT RUB JUST TO GET THE BITS OF THEN OIL LOOKS VERY NICE IF ITS DONE RIGHT.THANKS MARK

I like the idea of that, nice one Mark.

I would suggest a bit of practice on some spare wood first before doing it to the stock.
    AA 410k, 3-9X50
    FN19 Hawke, 6-18x44
    AA S200, 6-24X50
    S10, 8-32X50

I can...

...see how that works Mark although I suggest it's not the sort of thing you try after a couple of beers

Mad Mark Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd
    ...see how that works Mark although I suggest it's not the sort of thing you try after a couple of beers
    ITS A OLD GUNSMITH TRICK AND THE FINSHED ITEM LOOK JUST

Lash13 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mad mark
    Nice idea..

I think it depends on what you've got, I tried an AirArms stock, they use a coloured lacquer, not a deep wood stain, so the finish was easy to get off with nitromors. I used a light naptha based stain, which brought out the grain beautifully, but it was a bit patchy, I don't think I prepared the surface evenly enough. I oiled mine, but some people say, "don't oil beech."

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

aston_shooter is offline Sod the PCs, wheres me gun.......
    Some great advice there, thanks a million lads

Kingplinker,,,,, I've seen the pics of your ProSport before, and I have to say, it's a real piece of art, I would never have thought that was beech! Well done mate!

MadMark, that idea sounds really interesting mate, thanks for that!

And yes, it's an Air Arms stock so hopefully it'll be ok. I'm gonna have a play and then see what sort of result I can produce. Failing that, I'll send it to HydroG.

Thanks again for all the tips lads, I'll post pics once I've done, regardless of the result ha ha.

Kingplinker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by aston_shooter
    Some great advice there, thanks a million lads

Kingplinker,,,,, I've seen the pics of your ProSport before, and I have to say, it's a real piece of art, I would never have thought that was beech! Well done mate!
    MadMark, that idea sounds really interesting mate, thanks for that!

And yes, it's an Air Arms stock so hopefully it'll be ok. I'm gonna have a play and then see what sort of result I can produce. Failing that, I'll send it to HydroG.

Thanks again for all the tips lads, I'll post pics once I've done, regardless of the result ha ha.
    cheers for that , much appreciated If you get stuck I can do your stock the same !

ATB