Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st timer

luglessdouglas Guest

Thumbs up 1st timer

hi all, im quite new to air guns (apart from a misspent youth) but would like to start an learn more, will be going to my local club soon and wud appreciate any advice ie good starter rifle and so on.

Hiya LUGLESSDOUGLAS (like the name by the way). It may be better to wait until after your first visit to your local airgun club BEFORE you decide. Try a few of the rifles there, politely ask lots of questions and see what floats your boat.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

welcome to the forum
    go to the club before you buy a rifle
    try there's then decide

allan
    Rude Fat Dog 10/22Browning Buckmark pistol

A sleepy village Nr Skipton, a bit like Royston Va
    Welcome to the monkeyhouse. Everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask can be found on here, just ask.

Is Weat Yorkshire close to the North Yorkshire border or is it nearer Hull and Eat Yorkshire
    AA 410k, 3-9X50
    FN19 Hawke, 6-18x44
    AA S200, 6-24X50
    S10, 8-32X50

A sleepy village Nr Skipton, a bit like Royston Va
    Damn, you beat me to it.

What rifle have you in mind? There are reviews and general comments about virtually every rifle made, just use the search option in the tool bar.
    AA 410k, 3-9X50
    FN19 Hawke, 6-18x44
    AA S200, 6-24X50
    S10, 8-32X50

Gary C Guest
    Welcome

I'm sure you'll get lots of rifle advice but I'll give you this.

"WUD" is actually "WOULD".

Welcome mate. Definitely try out a few guns before choosing one, as others have said. There's plenty of good advice on here if you look for it - search the archive and you'll find many of your questions answered.

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Welcome aboard.
    Further to what's already been said, you've got some cracking clubs right on your doorstep. Which one are you planning to attend?

Chris
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

welcome douglas

do you want a springer or a pcp and what budget do you have?

springers are far better for teaching you the proper techniques and your shooting will improve more than it would with a pcp.springers also dont need charging gear so thats £100-150 less to find.

pcp's are recoilless but you need to buy charging gear(pump or bottle).

also take into consideration your physical build,its no good having a rifle that is too much for you to carry/use.

if you stick to german and british rifles are usually a safe bet...weihrauch,webley,bsa are good bets,gamo's are a reasonable alternative.

best thing i can say is try as many rifles as you can at your local club.a good club will have members that will let you try a shot or two with their own guns if you ask politely.
    if they wont let you do that...walk away,they arent interested in bring fresh blood into the sport.

luglessdouglas Guest

Smile advice

cheers all, i was thinking of an slr98 as im not keen on pcps(have cc will be bankrupt ), and will be going to redfearns as it sounds like a friendly place. didnt no i was goin 2 b spell checked will av 2 get the dictionary out.

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Quote Originally Posted by luglessdouglas
    cheers all, i was thinking of an slr98 as im not keen on pcps(have cc will be bankrupt ), and will be going to redfearns as it sounds like a friendly place. didnt no i was goin 2 b spell checked will av 2 get the dictionary out.
    Redfearns is a smashing club get along as soon as you can. I suspect that you'll be steered away from the SLR98 though.
    It's only been good natured about the spelling so far. People can get quite annoyed and seriously sarcastic over it. The text speak is seriously frowned upon.

Chris
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

if you have the funds to buy the slr then may i suggest a venom sidewinder or an aa pro sport or a tx200 with a walnut stock.

if you get to try these guns i'm pretty sure you cant go wrong

luglessdouglas Guest

first rifle

yeh ive been looking at the tx and for what its worth i think the pro sport is the best looking rifle ive seen but ive read one or two bad reviews for it ,i know its being picky but we all want our first rifle to be our first love dont we. i used to live in black country nice to hear from you.

Quote Originally Posted by luglessdouglas
    and for what its worth i think the pro sport is the best looking rifle ive seen
    never a truer word spoken

if you dont like the pro sports cocking method then the tx200 is your best bet but then again some will say that a tuned hw97k is as good.

you just have to see which 1 you like the best,its your money and make sure you buy what suits you the best

newbe too

Hi, Im quite new too & I can say that there aint no better place for sound advice

If you want a gun that will do all jobs & that is rated by so many as being superb then get yourself an AA S410, I cannot fault the gun, It is so good I bought two, If you are interested then I have an S410 Classic .177 for sale, It comes with New gun bag, 1 x mag, Silencer, Studs, & an optional scope,

If your interested then let me know (send me a private message) a PM or email to info@shananleigh.co.uk.

Otherwise, Best of Luck & happy Hunting.