Thread: 28mm piston washer (BSA Mercury)

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

28mm piston washer (BSA Mercury)

Just stripped my Mercury, it has the modern o-ring ally head. I want to replace it with something more efficient, i.e. a regular piston washer. I have a lathe, so can make up a new piston head, but I need a suitable donor washer, in the region of 28mm OD to stick on - any thoughts please guys ?

Cheers,

JB
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

What material do you want, teflon or similar?

Rich

To be honest I wanted to use a stock piston washer (from another gun, obviously), and just re-machine the piston, or a new piston head, to take it.

I guess one alternative option would be to machine a T,R,Ribb style 1 piece piston head/washer out of something like PTFE ?

I've just found that the FWB sport/BSA Supersport washers woudl fit the cylinder fine, but the fitting woudl require me to machine a muge hole in the face of the piston, and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be enough material to work with

Cheers,
    JB
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

any ideas please ?

I've got an offcut of 9mm thick teflon or hard nylon material. It's thick sheet not bar stock but there's enough for you to have a go at making probably three or four at 28mm diameter if the first effort doesn't work.

Send your home adress to my email if you'd like it posted.

Rich

Turn one out of PTFE, then when fitted dry fire a couple of times (I know it sounds horrendous thing to do) as it will size it

Baz

Rich, thank's but I think the material might be too hard..

Baz, makes sense, just got to find some now..

Cheers,
    JB

Trust me JB, having seen plenty of synthetic washers I don't think it will be.

Rich

Don't know if it helps but i got a washer straight out of my "o" ring box for my Meteor.

I run an engineering company that sells and repairs commercial espresso/cappuccino machines,and we have every size of "o" going - so if you need some,give me approx size(s) and i'll post them to you FOC.
    (That goes for all bbs members)

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    Trust me JB, having seen plenty of synthetic washers I don't think it will be.

Rich
    In that case Rich, will email you - thanks

Caisterboy, the current arrangent is an o-ring. I want to ditch it and replace it with a "parachute" type washer, as these are more efficient and seal better. The crap sealing of the o-ring design is why BSA need to have a "buffer washer" bedind the piston head, to soak up the impact of the piston slamming into the end of the cylinder

Cheers,

JB

Have a look at maccari's site he has a range of seals.

http://www.airguns.citymax.com/page/page/251485.htm

Ora

Quote Originally Posted by Pat..
    The PTFE ones that Terry 'wheres me molegrips...just nip it up' Robb does are actually quite good to be fair........

I agree, but he doesn't still do them does he ? Will call him