Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikko or Deben for FT scope ?

Nikko or Deben for FT scope ?

OK folks - I've read the adverts, searched this site, and I'm still trying to understand ...

I want to upgrade my Hawke Sidewinder 8.5-34*52 which I use for light-hearted FT. I would prefer to spend £400-600, which rules out the super-scopes like Leupold

The Nikko Stirling 10-50*60 and the Deben 10-50*56 seem to be the only contenders, but leaving aside £150 in price and an illuminated reticle - is there really anything to choose between them?

Thanks for any help

Dave

is there really anything to choose between them?
    Yes, the Nikko. I know many of both, the Deben and the Nikko and I dont know a single Deben I'ld prefer to take, even compared to a bad Nikko. No feature of a Deben is better than on a Nikko, except the illuminated Reticle, therefor the Nikko Optics are much better. Larger Field of View, sharpness, contrast and lightgathering are simply better on a Nikko. If possible compare both in low light (dark woods), you will see the difference.

Cheers Alex

Darren Petts Guest
    The optics on the newer Dabens are simply not upto the stds of older models. The only area the Deben is superior to the Nikko is in the fluidity of controls. The Nikkos are stiff and awkward but the Debens are far nicer. I'd choose the Nikko on both price and overall quality.
    Having said that I'd actually buy a 8-32 Bushnell for similar or slightly less money and get a superior scope to both.

I much prefer the Nikko. The Nato ret is superb and my nikko is as smooth as silk.

Dave.

TheOgre Guest
    Not even on the same page - let alone book. The Nikko is better. The 10-50 Nikko is made in Japan, whereas "cheaper" Nikkos are made in China.

The Bushnell Elite 4200, 8-32x40 AO is optically a great 'scope, light and bright, doesn't need re-parallaxing, comes with a standard duplex reticule but of course isn't side wheel focussing. Even so, it is excellent value considering its build quality and optical superiority. The big Nikko weighs over two-and-a-half pounds but it is much higher magnification, are the two even comparable? Decide, what are your priorities. Regards ... Geek
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C

Big Nikko.
    And IIRC, a Bushnell 8-32 is considerabley more pennies than a Nikko. I've had one, and for FT, the Nikko still wins 'cos it rangefinds better due to the bigger mag.

I'd recommend the NIKKO's everytime, nice clear optics and very well made, in fact they are tough as old boots to honest.
    I use them on most of my rifles from 12ft.lb air-rifles right upto my .308"winchester centrefire stalking rifle, the best thing of all is the price they don't break the bank but if you break a scope it isn't all that painful on the pocket (unless "SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED" finds out )
    I am planning on putting a NIKKO night-eater on my .243"

NIKKO'ed CZ V .17hmr

NIKKO'ed LITHGOW .308"win

Darren Petts Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bowl bugle
    Big Nikko.
    And IIRC, a Bushnell 8-32 is considerabley more pennies than a Nikko. I've had one, and for FT, the Nikko still wins 'cos it rangefinds better due to the bigger mag.

Only more if you buy one in the UK at official UK prices. Import one from the US and prices are similar. Granted the Nikko is the best rangefinder in the business but optical superiority belongs to the Bushnell by a long chalk which is a big plus when looking at dark targets.

Shaggy Guest
    Nikko is better I recon!
    I have had 2 Deben DMP's
    the 6-26x56 & the 10-50x56.

The first was lovely, PA was always consistant bang on every time. but upgraded to the bigger 1 what a pile, I couldn't get on with it at all.
    the POI would shift in very mild changes in the weather & it would never dial the same distance twice. got rid of it for the Nikko's older brother BSA Plaitinum.

excellent value for money the nikko IMHO, just because it's cheaper don't mean it's not as good. I haven't seen a bad 1 yet? All the one's I have looked through & played with all pa extremley well, with a clear picture, which is what you want?.

ATB

Darren

How reliable are the turrets on those Nikkos? I've heard a couple of bad reports about the big Nikko's little brother - the 6-24 and wondered if the big 60 had any similar issues. I had a turret problem with a 6x44 from the same Diamond range so I'm a little wary of Nikkos now.

Lionel

p70shooter Guest
    Ive had no trouble with my big nikko, turrets or otherwise, spot on scope especially for the money.

In case the Turrets of the Nikko are a bit stiff, get out the O-Ring or use high quality grease and they become smooooth .

I'ld recommend the Bushnell for a springgun any time with a mildot reticle mod. The Bushnell is very long and that most often narrows down space around loading tray, but is still the best I know for a Springer. A slight backdraft are the flat bushnells Turrets, precise but not the best for dialing in or marking them.

Alex

Do any of you FT / HFT guys use the NIKKO-STIRLING NIGHTEATER's, if so which ones 1" or 30mm tubes

Darren Petts Guest
    I've had a play with 3 of the 6-24 Nighteaters. They all white out very easily in bright sun so I couldn't recommend one. They also have the true at 16x AGS reticle and non-target turrets. Not sure what the tube diameter was on any of them though.