Thread: Remington LV SF .223

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by foxshooter
    I have known Andrew for several years now and in that time he has ALWAYS insisted on a reproof after threading, there is no change of practice there. I dont see as he makes any money out of a reproof. Proof house charges are what they are. All they do is slow his already hectic workload while he has to wait sometimes up to 3/4 weeks for rifles to return.
    Andrew is a friend so it's right you defend him, but Jimmy is a hopeless cynic (as many here might know) and I'm sure his remark was taken as lightly as it was meant. It certainly was by me.

I (personally) think that proofing after screw-cutting is not a serious requirement from any safety aspect. If it were an issue from the cost point of view, I would have the work done locally where I get a choice about proofing after scew-cutting.

As you know Mark, I drove up to R/C myself, and due to roadworks along the way it took 4 hours. Andrew isn't the cheapest either. But at the end of the day, I wanted the best work done on that barrel I could afford, by someone used to working on them. To cut delay time down, I also collected the rifle from the Proof House personally.
    To be good, one must do good.

Baldie is quite right, I am not having a go at Andrew, only resighting my own personal experience when work was carried out by himself afew years back on my two remmies. When questioned on whether reproofing was necessary or advised he assured me that it was a pointless exercise especially on the heavy barrel, that resell without proof wouldn't be a legal problem unless it was to be done very soon after to a RFD. Make of it what you want but many gunshops have 2nd hand rifles on their selves either on s.o.r. or part exchanges which are threaded non standard without proof etc. I know this for a fact locally/ Essex but no names mentioned incase I've opened a can of worms unintentionally.