Thread: Remington LV SF .223

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thank you Baldie for a very precise write up on said rifle.
    I also found on my reme .223 heavy barrel with a rifle craft kevlar bedded stock that the riflecraft treatment didn't really make any significant difference to performance although a trigger job certainly helps.
    Since you have tried Federal ammo why not give this round a go. .224 sierra blitzking in 55 grain .. code P223J..
    Ballistic tipped and cloverleaf groups out of my weapon and over shooters i've lent some to previously. Reloading this round with the same heads bought separately doesn't make any difference as it seems that good.
    Interesting how Andrew insisted on proofing the weapon after working on it, he never used to (or is that just a way for a whey bit more income?)

Quote Originally Posted by foxshot
    Since you have tried Federal ammo why not give this round a go. .224 sierra blitzking in 55 grain .. code P223J..
    Ballistic tipped and cloverleaf groups out of my weapon and over shooters i've lent some to previously. Reloading this round with the same heads bought separately doesn't make any difference as it seems that good.
    Interesting how Andrew insisted on proofing the weapon after working on it, he never used to (or is that just a way for a whey bit more income?)

Any chance you could bring some with you?

Apparently his insurers now 'insist' he gets this done.
    To be good, one must do good.

Yes i've got the heads mate which you are more than welcome to.(in exchange for one of your Hare's cleanly shot perhaps?

Yes i've got the heads mate which you are more than welcome to.(in exchange for one of your Hare's cleanly shot perhaps?
    Heads?

You can have the head of a Hare then..

I'll see what the weather is like Friday/Saturday. I (still) don't do rain.

You wouldn't expect me to pay £22 a box more than once would you?
    I've got a nine year old daughter,guinea pig and greedy Israeli landlord to account for.
    Fourteen pence a bang is more more favourable and is just as accurate even with my sloppy reloading.(no polishing and admiring empty cases for me.)

I have known Andrew for several years now and in that time he has ALWAYS insisted on a reproof after threading, there is no change of practice there. I dont see as he makes any money out of a reproof. Proof house charges are what they are. All they do is slow his already hectic workload while he has to wait sometimes up to 3/4 weeks for rifles to return.

He knows it is a belt/braces/waders/armor plated move but it is at the insistance of his insurer. Everyone knows there is less than no chance of a barrel self destructing because of threading but if a rifle did go bang because the barrel had been removed for threading who would be the more sorry....

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by foxshooter
    I have known Andrew for several years now and in that time he has ALWAYS insisted on a reproof after threading, there is no change of practice there. I dont see as he makes any money out of a reproof. Proof house charges are what they are. All they do is slow his already hectic workload while he has to wait sometimes up to 3/4 weeks for rifles to return.
    Andrew is a friend so it's right you defend him, but Jimmy is a hopeless cynic (as many here might know) and I'm sure his remark was taken as lightly as it was meant. It certainly was by me.

I (personally) think that proofing after screw-cutting is not a serious requirement from any safety aspect. If it were an issue from the cost point of view, I would have the work done locally where I get a choice about proofing after scew-cutting.

As you know Mark, I drove up to R/C myself, and due to roadworks along the way it took 4 hours. Andrew isn't the cheapest either. But at the end of the day, I wanted the best work done on that barrel I could afford, by someone used to working on them. To cut delay time down, I also collected the rifle from the Proof House personally.

Baldie is quite right, I am not having a go at Andrew, only resighting my own personal experience when work was carried out by himself afew years back on my two remmies. When questioned on whether reproofing was necessary or advised he assured me that it was a pointless exercise especially on the heavy barrel, that resell without proof wouldn't be a legal problem unless it was to be done very soon after to a RFD. Make of it what you want but many gunshops have 2nd hand rifles on their selves either on s.o.r. or part exchanges which are threaded non standard without proof etc. I know this for a fact locally/ Essex but no names mentioned incase I've opened a can of worms unintentionally.

[QUOTE=foxshot]Since you have tried Federal ammo why not give this round a go. .224 sierra blitzking in 55 grain .. code P223J..

I use 50GRN PMC (Sierra Blitzking head) in my Cooper and they are very very accurate. £11 quid a box from York Guns, can't be bad.