Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most effective way to zero my scopes???

Most effective way to zero my scopes???

Ok i have an s400 carbine which has on it a set of simmons pro hunter 3-9x40mm

I have been having problems with zero'ing these scopes and noticing that im hitting roughly 1ft lower than i should be at 60yrds .... compaired to 25yrds at which i have been close to spot on at 9x mag.

Should i only zero at a set mag like 3x for a certain yardage? because i tend to have my scopes on 9x pretty much all the time.

I had a little play around this mornin and at 30yrds i put 5 into a 50p which aint bad but im still not impressed with how far it's been off at 60yds.

Any help would be appreciated.

The scope does not sound bad
    but what do you expect to HIT at 60 yds with a .22 ?

allan
    Rude Fat Dog 10/22Browning Buckmark pistol

Gary C Guest
    as above - why are you concerned at 60 yards?

You shoul dbe inside a 10p piece at 30 yards - and worried about shooting to 35 tops

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLongy
    Ok i have an s400 carbine which has on it a set of simmons pro hunter 3-9x40mm

I have been having problems with zero'ing these scopes and noticing that im hitting roughly 1ft lower than i should be at 60yrds .... compaired to 25yrds at which i have been close to spot on at 9x mag.

Should i only zero at a set mag like 3x for a certain yardage? because i tend to have my scopes on 9x pretty much all the time.

I had a little play around this mornin and at 30yrds i put 5 into a 50p which aint bad but im still not impressed with how far it's been off at 60yds.

Any help would be appreciated.
    What you expecting ??
    Its not a sniper rifle the pellets drop they dont shoot stright for 1 mile.
    Master Debater

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy
    What you expecting ??
    Its not a sniper rifle the pellets drop they dont shoot stright for 1 mile.
    So you need a sniper rifle to shoot strights ?

If you shoot on 9x mag, zero it on 9x mag

When you say it's 1ft lower than you expected it to be at 60 yards - how much drop did you expect exactly?

On a 30 yard zero with a Sub 12FPE .22 I'd expect about a 12 inch drop at 60 yards.

If it's 58 yards instead of 60 yards then I'd expect about 10.5 inch of drop - which is why hunting out to 60 yards is a really really bad idea. If you're wrong on your range by a yard or two, you'll stand a better than acceptable chance of wounding what you're shooting at.

Ok thanx for that info, i for some reason was thinkin that i was basically having problems with my sights or gun but looks like it's just me expecting a little too much.

So im best of zero'ing at 9x @ 35yrds correct? If so then that is just what i shall do hehe.

duncan-leeds Guest
    on the same mag scope 3x9. if you set the zero at 30yds 6x. what would the drop be at 3x and vice versa for the 9x ?

just thought i would ask seen as we are on the subject

thanks
    Duncan

Gary C Guest
    Nope
    You're better of zeroing at 25 yards with a .22
    Shoot to a max of 35.

If you want some help come to Quarry (nr Cwmbran) and you can try a few things

Gary C Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by duncan-leeds
    on the same mag scope 3x9. if you set the zero at 30yds 6x. what would the drop be at 3x and vice versa for the 9x ?

just thought i would ask seen as we are on the subject

thanks
    Duncan
    The drop will be the same

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLongy
    Ok thanx for that info, i for some reason was thinkin that i was basically having problems with my sights or gun but looks like it's just me expecting a little too much.

So im best of zero'ing at 9x @ 35yrds correct? If so then that is just what i shall do hehe.
    I find it best to zero under the conditions I expect to be shooting in most often.
    So if you take all your shots prone, zero prone etc. If you shoot on 9x mag then zero on 9x mag - there are some exceptions to this, but it's a reasonable rule of thumb.

As to the distance, well to be honest, you need to zero at a distance where you are capable of getting a nice tight group. A 50p sized group with 5 pellets means that from one shot to the next you could be out by as much as the diameter of a 50p coin! - that's about an inch.

You won't get an accurate zero unless you can get that down to at least half an inch - so perhaps zero at 25 yards to start with.

You'll also need to learn the holdovers/holdunders for all the distances you're likely to shoot at - not everything you aim at is going to be placed convieniently at exactly the same range as your zero.

To do this put some card out at maybe, 5 yard intervals and note what effect this has on the POI for each range.

If you shoot up or down at steep angles this will also have an effect on your point of impact - it pays to know what the effect is if you intend shooting at targets high up in trees for example.

my .22 is zeroed at 30 yards, but at 55yards there is a lot of drop to compensate for - 4 mildots on my scope at 9x, and with the wind last night I couldn't really hit anything consistently past 45yards anyway

Gary C Guest
    Hi Shaun

That's on a range mate - 45 yards is a lot harder walking around with unknown ranges.

For the average shooter 35 yards with a .22 is well far enough - hence a 25 yard zero is probably the optimum if you don't want much hold under, or 30 if you don't mind a bit early on and less later on.

Either way you have to judge range to within 5 yards max

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C
    Hi Shaun

That's on a range mate - 45 yards is a lot harder walking around with unknown ranges.

For the average shooter 35 yards with a .22 is well far enough - hence a 25 yard zero is probably the optimum if you don't want much hold under, or 30 if you don't mind a bit early on and less later on.

Either way you have to judge range to within 5 yards max
    45 yards is too far for me to feel safe on live quarry anyway.

I only occassionally shoot at 55yards at the range to prove to you .177 girlies that it can be done

and I don't shoot competitions - I shoot to relax not to get wound up

Gary C Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmerpalmer

and I don't shoot competitions - I shoot to relax not to get wound up
    yup

that's a valid point. I keep intending to retire.