Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAO Webley tracker experts

Ideot Savant Guest

FAO Webley tracker experts

Hi,
    Got it today from Dowlings (only took two weeks )
    Its a camo .22 with open sights and a longish barrel, so that makes it a mk1 right?
    But its got the ribbed trigger blade on a single stage, so that makes it mk2?
    Bit confused here as to what version it is, early or late, it came out of webleys just before they went down and was apparently just kicking around with them for 15 years.

I'm well happy, the triggers better than I had hoped and the build quality is very good...and the blueing, best I've ever seen on anything...utterly fantastic!
    Shoots real nice, loud without a doubt but fast and no twang, no need of a tune.
    This is me >

who did the s/fields go in it?

Ideot Savant Guest
    I've only put a couple of shots through it so cant say yet. The skirt of them is a tad wider than my AA field 5.52 so they look like they should work, I'll find out saturday

Ideot Savant Guest
    I will. I'll have to borrow a camera, it may take a couple of days.
    The tracker is supposed to be 36 1/2 inches, the viscount 43 1/2 and while my tracker is 42 inches...odd huh?

A Webley Tracker? The expert to see on here is RAYGUN (he who cornerd the north England market)

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Does it have a barrel weight and no foresight (Trackers do).

Does it have a rearsight (Trackers don't, and have a blanking plate over the holes in the breech)

AFAIK the single stage trigger was standard on all Trackers, the pseudo-dual stage unit from the Stingray etc. can be fitted, but there really is no point, the actual trigger release is no different.

You may find a bit of creep in the trigger, this can sometimes be taken up by applying the safety, taking up the creep until you reach the safety, then release the safety and take the shot with less/no creep.

Webley blueing is/was superb, but they sometimes scrimped on the polishing in hidden areas, e.g if you remove the action from the stock you may find the metal is pretty rough underneath.

Your overall length is far too long to be a real Tracker, perhaps you have an Osprey action in a Tracker stock ?

PS: a Webley Pro-System silencer really cuts down the crack, and is in keeping with the gun, suggest you buy one before the supply dries up. A real short barreled Tracker is even noisier, and seems as loud as a rimfire if you fit a gas ram.

Fitting the Pro-System to a real Tracker requires a little trick, because the end of the barrel is turned down to a rather small diameter to fit the muzzle weight, but it can be done very nicely. PM me if you need to know how.

Ideot Savant Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J.
    A Webley Tracker? The expert to see on here is RAYGUN (he who cornerd the north England market)

ATB
    Ian
    I'm hoping he spot this thread Ian

My Trackers are 36 1/2" from end of butt to end of barrel.

The muzzle weight will add about 1/2" the Webley silencer (pro-system) willl add about 2 3/4".

ATB
    Ray.

Ideot Savant Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by supersonic
    Does it have a barrel weight and no foresight (Trackers do).

Does it have a rearsight (Trackers don't, and have a blanking plate over the holes in the breech)

AFAIK the single stage trigger was standard on all Trackers, the pseudo-dual stage unit from the Stingray etc. can be fitted, but there really is no point, the actual trigger release is no different.

You may find a bit of creep in the trigger, this can sometimes be taken up by applying the safety, taking up the creep until you reach the safety, then release the safety and take the shot with less/no creep.

Webley blueing is/was superb, but they sometimes scrimped on the polishing in hidden areas, e.g if you remove the action from the stock you may find the metal is pretty rough underneath.

Your overall length is far too long to be a real Tracker, perhaps you have an Osprey action in a Tracker stock ?

PS: a Webley Pro-System silencer really cuts down the crack, and is in keeping with the gun, suggest you buy one before the supply dries up. A real short barreled Tracker is even noisier, and seems as loud as a rimfire if you fit a gas ram.

Fitting the Pro-System to a real Tracker requires a little trick, because the end of the barrel is turned down to a rather small diameter to fit the muzzle weight, but it can be done very nicely. PM me if you need to know how.
    Well, it has a foresight and no barrel weight.
    It has a rear sight.
    It has Tracker written in larger gold letters on the action.
    It is longer than a normal tracker, but shorter than a viscount.
    The trigger while heavy is without creep....thank god
    It looks like a osprey, but as I say, has tracker written on it.
    Its serial number 43821.

I have a mint pro system silencer I bought for it but I'm loath to fit it now incase I bugger the blueing. I quite like open sights for plinking so I dont think I'll fit a scope.
    If you could tell me the trick to fitting the silencer that would be nice....I may buy another tracker in .177 to gasram or maccari tune at some point.
    Thanks!

Ideot Savant Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Raygun
    My Trackers are 36 1/2" from end of butt to end of barrel.

The muzzle weight will add about 1/2" the Webley silencer (pro-system) willl add about 2 3/4".

ATB
    Ray.
    Hmm.....I'll have to post some pics....looks like I've bought an odd-ball.

Matt,
    It sounds as if you have a Viscount barrel on your Tracker.
    As the Webleys that Dowlings got hold of were supposed to be odds and sods, this could well be an early camo when they were experimenting with different length barrels, as of course, the Tracker was basically a short barrelled Viscount.

Quote Originally Posted by wadoka
    Hmm.....I'll have to post some pics....looks like I've bought an odd-ball.
    Have a look in "My guns" on my post.
    The Trackers are in there, one with the barrel weight and one with the silencer.

ATB
    Ray.

It sounds like Troubledshooter is correct.
    If you check the Chambers site you can see it's a good possibility.

The gun you have may possibly have not been on general sale.

ATB
    Ray.

Fitting the Pro-System can be done without risking the blueing. Mine is 0.22 and when I first fitted it the pellets clipped it. The problem was that the nylon collet that fitted to the end of the barrel wouldn't close up properly because it was half over the full diameter section of barrel, and half over the turned-down section, so the front part of the silencer was not properly centralised. I was using the smallest collet in the set.

So I wound aluminium adhesive tape around the stepped section to bring it up to the full diameter. (Lidl are selling this at the moment). I also wound Scotch "Magic" tape around the barrel where the rear collet fits, to prevent damage to the blueing. It only took 2 or 3 turns to increase the diameter to the point where the clamp nut just fitted over it, with minimal play.

ISTR that when I measured it up, even if I had damaged the blueing it would all have been underneath where the muzzle weight fits, i.e. invisible. This won't help with your hybrid though.

[Quote] I have a mint pro system silencer I bought for it but I'm loath to fit it now incase I bugger the blueing. I quite like open sights for plinking so I dont think I'll fit a scope. [Quote]

Matt,
    I don't think you can fit a pro system silencer and keep the foresight.
    The later carbine Trackers were designed to be used with scope only, so had the rear sight fitting blanked off by an ally plate with 'Tracker' on it, and the barrel weight on the end which could be replaced by a silencer.