Thread: JSR 30mm red dot/HW40 combo

Thumbs up JSR 30mm red dot/HW40 combo

As a keen plinker I just wanted to share this with you.

For ages I've wanted a back garden plinker pistol. I looked at all the CO2 options and ruled them out as expensive to run and noisy to boot too. I wanted accuracy and quality. I settled on buying a HW40 (£85) and it arrived 4 weeks ago. After an afternoon on its open sights, I concluded the pistol itself was accurate but although the HW has micro adjustable sights, the picture they gave was vague and ambiguous. It needed a different sighting arrangement. I had chosen the HW40 Weihrauch for its reasonable price too and did not want to spend hundreds on a plinker combo.

After a search here I gritted my teeth and ordered a JSR 30mm red dot sight (now only silver coloured ones left). I was prepared for it to be real crap at £24.99 delivered! It arrived this morning and I need not have fretted. I opened the jiffy bag and opened the box inside. First thing I noticed written on the side is "Made in China". OK, so what. I fixed this sight to my HW grabbed some pellets (RWS Hobby - cheap, well made and accurate) and headed for the garden. After about 30 pellets I had zeroed the sight at 15 yards. But the amazing fact is is that bench rested I am able to hit a 13mm circle every time at that distance. To say I'm pleased with my £110 combo is an understatement.

If you are considering a plinker that's quiet and very accurate, I can wholeheartedly recommend this pairing. The most amazing component is for me the JSR red dot. Unbelievable build (at 2x this price). Machined aluminium body and mounts and clear optics. Adjustable (for brightness) tiny dot.

Utter, utter bargain, I'm very chuffed.
    my name is richard14 and I'm a Coronation St addict...

nice, its good to see some people are having luck with zeroing i things, my loguns zero is always shifting

Richard,
    I'm in total agreement with you, I did a review last week on the HW40, but with open sights. This afternoon I bolted a Gamo TV screen red dot cheapy thing on to it and commenced to zero it in bench rested, it only took about 6 or 7 shots to get ragged one-holers from 10 metres. I'm well pleased with the pistol anyway but might now invest in a proper red dot, perhaps a Hawke RD30 or similar. From a standing position double handed I could still get a very consistent 15mill circle (After all, I am an old fart with shakey limbs!)
    Nice review by the way,
    Nige

HW40 + JSR Red Dot

Just bought this red dot as a job lot with some other used equipment - think I'll give a go on my HW40
    Thanks for your review.

HW40 + JSR Red Dot

Fitted the JSR Red Dot sight to my HW40 and completly agree with original post - they go together very well; of course makes it heavier. I fitted the sight close to the open rear sight and use the JSR sight when cocking the gun - it seems robust enough. Was not too sure about it at first as the stock fibre optic sights are excellent and the red dot sight seems to highlight operator error (unsteadiness), but that's not a bad thing. Sighted it in at 11', then 18' which pretty much held up for 36'. In a rested position at 36' it was easily possible to hit the centre bull and the four mini bulls on the corners of a SMK 10 metre/33' target card. Indoors I found the lowest intensity dot was best (so not to blot out the target too much), outdoors on an overcast day intensity 5 worked for me. I would imagine the higher intensity settings may be needed on a bright day. Freehand will be the real test for me, which should bring about a more steady hold...with practice. All in all a great combo.

On second thoughts, probably best not to press/stress the sight/rail when cocking, so now I use the method described by Todd Cooper which works well:

http://my.tbaytel.net/coopers/HW40Review/review.html