Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossbow law?

Anther old archery law I heard about the other day is;-

It's legal to practice with one's longbow between the hours of 11am & 1pm on a Sunday in ANY public place !

Go figure, although the instructor that told me this said Plod might take a dim view of it !

as far as i'm aware, there was also a law in south africa that a woman could legally shoot a black person on her property without so much as an "oi, get off my land" but a man had to fire a warning shot...and then he could shoot him

i would think that law has been stricken by now though... i hope!

Quote Originally Posted by snock
    Yep, it's a big no no.
    Unless you're in the USA, which we're not, thankfully.
    whats wrong with the usa i go there every year with friends on the farm out there we have fun,at least you can have fun out there not like this nanny state over here you cant do this you cant do that.you want to go there have some fun.over there now you can shoot pheasants with a long bow,its getting very big.

Damn straight!

i must agree on both counts. i have no love for the yanks but the toys you can play with there (without some tw@ in london saying you can't) are incredible.

cheaper there an all. well worth a trip.

out on the farm in the usa i have more guns there than i have here, with out having to have a licence,in the bed room there are 100 shotguns in the basement handguns on my b/day we shot all day we had a lorry load of clays come in there were 12 of us what a great day that was,try doing that all day here with out the cops coming out, no chance.
    Last edited by wecker; 14-04-2006 at 03:41 PM.

agreed. there's heeps of space out there. spent some time in new york (state not city - though went there as well) and the geezer i was staying with had this normal house in a normal street but his back garden was an entire wood! he had this collection of deer crowns lining his study - he killed the lot with a compound bow!

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"
    Quote Originally Posted by Si-monster
    as far as i'm aware, there was also a law in south africa that a woman could legally shoot a black person on her property without so much as an "oi, get off my land" but a man had to fire a warning shot...and then he could shoot him

i would think that law has been stricken by now though... i hope!
    Well you would think so, but I saw on the news maybe a year or two back that an old lady had decided to come back here to live after shooting a THIRD black fella that had tried climbing over her fence! She'd had enough of having to shoot people with her rifle.
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.

i'll tell you, when i think about the amount of gardens i had to cut through at night as a kid i shudder to think what it would've been like having to avoid being zapped by some old dear

Quote Originally Posted by PHIL200
    not haveing a go at bow users but 12fp air rifle 100+ for a crossbow does this mean a webley longbow can be 100fp
    Phil

You cant USE a crossbow on anything furry that squeaks. So.... how much power do you need to pierce a bit of paper? Anything over this amount is just hard work on the shooters side of things!!

Mod

thing is, i think that you can use it to hunt abroad (america and such) hence the availability of more powerful gear. when i was in the states the fella i lived with hunted deer with an 80lb compound bow and you can get crossbows higher that 150lbs so i can only assume that's what they're for.

Quote Originally Posted by Mod
    Phil

You cant USE a crossbow on anything furry that squeaks. So.... how much power do you need to pierce a bit of paper? Anything over this amount is just hard work on the shooters side of things!!

Mod
    Needs and wants are two different things. With a 95lb target crossbow shooting at a target 65 metres away, someone worked out that the bolt is 17 foot above the ground at it's highest point of the arc - not a very flat trajectory eh! Trouble is, over a days shooting of 102 bolts - plus walking backwards and forwards to the target to pick up your bolts - it can be a hard days work even with "only" a 95lb prod! Do this twice in two days (National, European or World Champs) in heat up to 40 degrees, oh plus practice days, and you know you've shot a competition.

Hunting is a whole different game of course and it's not unusual to see 180lb+ draw weights. It does make you wonder though, why they sell high powered crossbows in the UK?

Vic.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.

Quote Originally Posted by xbow
    Hunting is a whole different game of course and it's not unusual to see 180lb+ draw weights. It does make you wonder though, why they sell high powered crossbows in the UK?

Vic.
    indeed. this is where i was becoming confused. would the law be as strict for crossbows as it is for firearms should you wish to take them abroad, though?

Surprised no one else has asked, whats more dangerous a Frenchman with a .177 crossbow or a monkey with a .22?
    Your work is both good and original. Unfortunately where it is good it is not original, and where it is original it is not good.

Quote Originally Posted by xbow
    Needs and wants are two different things. With a 95lb target crossbow shooting at a target 65 metres away, someone worked out that the bolt is 17 foot above the ground at it's highest point of the arc - not a very flat trajectory eh! Trouble is, over a days shooting of 102 bolts - plus walking backwards and forwards to the target to pick up your bolts - it can be a hard days work even with "only" a 95lb prod! Do this twice in two days (National, European or World Champs) in heat up to 40 degrees, oh plus practice days, and you know you've shot a competition.

Vic.

Some of our comps go out to 80 metres, that's why I bought a Horton 200 lb draw weight crossbow, for the flatter trajectory and I can set the multi-reticule scope up for all distances.

This throws a 450 grain arrow at 327 ft/sec which gives 107 ft/lb of energy (just under .22 rimfire sub sonics).

Neil
    Current airguns:- Steyr LG110: Steyr LP10: Air Arms HFT500: Weihrauch97 fully customised.

Quote Originally Posted by Si-monster
    indeed. this is where i was becoming confused. would the law be as strict for crossbows as it is for firearms should you wish to take them abroad, though?
    I've been stopped several times in the past when it was packed in a gun case. Taken apart and packed in a suitcase seemed to solve the problem - I did mention to the check-in clerk that it was in the suitcase but she remarked that she did'nt care! This was some Years back, pre 9/11. The last time I travelled a friend had to explain what was in his case however as only the tips of his bolts showed up under X-ray and they thought they were bullets! He had to wait about an hour to get his gear back at Heathrow - and then it was attached to a 6+ foot customs officer.

Vic