Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Standing shots - hints & tips please

Standing shots - hints & tips please

I have been trying to improve my standing shots and have been practicing using a 2p size target at about 25 yrds.

My grouping isn't massive but I am having trouble consistently getting the pellet inside the 2p 'zone'.

Has any one got any hints or tips for me please?

Cheers,
    Si

Time the shot to the motion of your recticule, if you practise breath control and find the hold that helps minimise the windage movment you can concentrate on timing the shot in the vertical plane, as the POA crosses the bull squeeze, you will soon learn the correct timing. Also practice your trigger technique until you can squeeze all the way to release in a single fluid minimum movment. All IMHO of course.

Mortimer Guest
    Fitting a sling to your rifle can help; wrap it around your left elbow (if right handed) when shooting.

Also, experiment with the position of your left hand on the forend. For years I was cradling the rifle too far forward, resulting in instability.

Have a look at this thread too.

Quote Originally Posted by electric sheep
    Time the shot to the motion of your recticule, if you practise breath control and find the hold that helps minimise the windage movment you can concentrate on timing the shot in the vertical plane, as the POA crosses the bull squeeze, you will soon learn the correct timing. Also practice your trigger technique until you can squeeze all the way to release in a single fluid minimum movment. All IMHO of course.

Have ben trying to start above the target then letting the rifle drop (controled) over the target. As the POA crosses the bull I have been firing but find myself snatching at the trigger in a rush to get the shot off.

Get your elbow on the top of your hip and clench your fist and rest the gun on top of it, Feet need to be shoulders width apart ( you will look a bit of a muppet, but it will greatly improve your standing shoots ) When you have the stance correct if someone gives you a little push you will rock but will come back onto target. It takes quite a bit of practice but is worth the trouble. It is the stance that 10m UIT shooters use.
    Breathing is also a big part of good standing shoots, I always breath in, exhale 1/2 my breath as I start to come on to target and hold my breath for the actual shot, and if I feel that dreaded oxygen starvation feeling come on I start the whole cycle again

PS you do not need a sling for this position and a sling will decrease your accuracey.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mortimer
    Fitting a sling to your rifle can help; wrap it around your left elbow (if right handed) when shooting.
    Depends on if you are practicing to shoot in a UKAHFT event - sling use in standing shots is against the rules.

Fine for hunting etc. though.

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by electric sheep

When I shot UIT I was taught to start small circular movements and get them smaller and smaller until you weren't moving and were on target, I also use this with scopes and it works well.
    Dave

Do you mean using my left forearm as a 'strut' between my left hip and the stock?

yes that is exactly what I mean, you may find that you have to lean back from the hips slightly, it all depends on your body
    Dave

confidence

Along with all the above advice you need to breed confidence...
    To do that I started in two ways...
    Have a larger "zone" untill you are consistently hitting it...
    Move the "zone" closer...If you cannot hit consistently at 15yds you have no chance at 25yds....

Quote Originally Posted by leons
    Along with all the above advice you need to breed confidence...
    To do that I started in two ways...
    Have a larger "zone" untill you are consistently hitting it...
    Move the "zone" closer...If you cannot hit consistently at 15yds you have no chance at 25yds....
    That is true, but I also think that a smaller target helps more as you concentrate more and make sure that all the elements are correct where as if a larger target you can be a bit lazy and do just enough to hit the target, if you see what I mean. Also a lot of dry firing, I can remember a good many hours practicing my stance and trigger control with out firing a shot ( fine if you have a precharge but don't do it with a springer) dry firing is good as it will let you concentrate on trigger control without "worrying" where the shot has gone and so you will notice if you snatch the trigger.
    Dave

I feel like I am standing like something out of Monty Python

Good advice thanks, seem steadier particularly with my left hand pulled right in, will practice the stance with a bigger target for a while.

Does standing like this hurt everyone ?

Pointy end towards the target is a good rule thats served me well
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

target size

Agreed...The point I was making is that you will still need to concentrate to hit the "bigger" zone consistently.... you then start to reduce the size...
    If the "zone" is always slightly smaller than the group you can shoot then...
    A..You can see some progress as the "zone" gets smaller....but you still need to concentrate
    B..Confidence grows because you are getting some success

Quote Originally Posted by simon77
    I feel like I am standing like something out of Monty Python

Good advice thanks, seem steadier particularly with my left hand pulled right in, will practice the stance with a bigger target for a while.

Does standing like this hurt everyone ?

Sorry, I'm not very good at explining it I keep remembering little things that I take for granted and don't think about. Yes you will feel like a complete plum to start with My left hand is approx 3 inches infront of trigger guard. Yes it is a little uncomfortable to start with but it does get easier. Just remember it is all about muscle memory the more you practice the easier it becomes and the quicker you will be on target and taking the shot, Idealy you want to get to the point where you don't have the thought process of taking the shot going through your head, you know "take the first stage up, get on target, squeeze the trigger, folow through" it will just happen and you will not have the thought process going through head. I hope that makes sense it does to me, but as soon as I put it down in writing it doesn't look as good
    Dave