Thread: .177 tradjectory compared to .22

Question .177 tradjectory compared to .22

Hi folks,
    Sorry if this is a bit mundane but as i'm in the proccess of getting my FAC (and i'll be looking for a .177 hw100 soon), i was wondering what the tradjectory of the .177 is? If i were to fire both guns at same place height direction angle etc etc, The tradjectory of the .22 rises above scope zero between 10 and 25 metres or thereabouts. What would the tradjectory of the .177 do? How far would the .177 pellet travel before i needed to start to compensate for pellet drop? (i've never had a .177 as i've always prefered the harder hitting .22) Any info would be much appreciated. Thank you!

8mm Mauser Guest
    Try chairgun for the trajectory issues but, IMHO, if you're going FAC, you'd be far better off with .20, .22 or even .25. At FAC levels, .177 goes supersonic which does nothing for accuracy .

pellet tradjectory.

thanks. my zero is set at 30 metres at the minute. when FAC'd what would happen to the tradjectory? would it rise more above the zero than it does now?

Use the extra power to flatten out the traj of a .20 or .22 - the latter will give you a wider choice of pellets to choose from.

You can only use the FAC out to a range where your group size will ensure a hit at the point you are aiming at and what the weather conditions of the day will allow.

The .22 will IMHO take down more than an FAC .177.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by GuyRWood
    Try chairgun for the trajectory issues but, IMHO, if you're going FAC, you'd be far better off with .20, .22 or even .25. At FAC levels, .177 goes supersonic which does nothing for accuracy .

Sorry but I don't agree with the point you are making about .177. You are quite right when you say that pellets going supersonic or even trans-sonic are no good at all but why do you then assume that a FAC .177 pellet will automatically go supersonic? It clearly depends upon the pellet weight and power level. If you think in terms of 1000 ft sec as being the highest velocity you should use- then a 8.4 grain pellet such as the AA/JSB/Daystate-would require 18.7 ft lb to attain the 1000 ft sec MV. If you want to use the heavier and well made Bisley Magnum .177 then 23.5 ft lb is the power you require. Both of those power levels are smooth and comfortable to achieve in FAC air rifles.
    Whatever its theoretical advantages, the problem with .20 remains pellet choice and barrel fussiness. The widely regarded 'best pellet' is the Crosman Premier which is just too expensive. I personally regard any air pellet that costs half the level of .22 rimfire as ridiculous but that is just my personal view.
    On balance most of us with reasonable experience of FAC air, regard .22 as the best calibre. Wide pellet choice both in terms of quality and price, very air efficient and I honestly believe that there there is nothing you can do with .25 that you can't do with .22 unless all you do is shoot squirrels when I accept that .25 may be better even than heavy .22 pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick
    Sorry but I don't agree with the point you are making about .177. You are quite right when you say that pellets going supersonic or even trans-sonic are no good at all but why do you then assume that a FAC .177 pellet will automatically go supersonic? It clearly depends upon the pellet weight and power level. If you think in terms of 1000 ft sec as being the highest velocity you should use- then a 8.4 grain pellet such as the AA/JSB/Daystate-would require 18.7 ft lb to attain the 1000 ft sec MV. If you want to use the heavier and well made Bisley Magnum .177 then 23.5 ft lb is the power you require. Both of those power levels are smooth and comfortable to achieve in FAC air rifles.
    Whatever its theoretical advantages, the problem with .20 remains pellet choice and barrel fussiness. The widely regarded 'best pellet' is the Crosman Premier which is just too expensive. I personally regard any air pellet that costs half the level of .22 rimfire as ridiculous but that is just my personal view.
    On balance most of us with reasonable experience of FAC air, regard .22 as the best calibre. Wide pellet choice both in terms of quality and price, very air efficient and I honestly believe that there there is nothing you can do with .25 that you can't do with .22 unless all you do is shoot squirrels when I accept that .25 may be better even than heavy .22 pellets.

well said