Thread: Swivel stud

Paul M Guest

Swivel stud

Ordered my new aa s410 and i'am going to need a sling for hunting. So i'll need to put a swivel stud in the stock. Is it a do it yourself job or can you take it to a gunshop or something. if you can do it yourself ,what do you need?

Paul, especially with the S410, make sure that your front swivel mount is going into enough 'meat' to be strong enough. I took mine partially into the Schnabel at the front (though still underneath the stock), as I prefer a forward-mounted front swivel. A friend of mine didn't, and his swivel didn't end up with enough wood to hold itself. Messy! I'd send you a photo of mine, but unfortunately I'm too tight to buy a digital camera!

Also, to help prevent unwanted undoing of the swivel, and to achieve a much more professional finish; prior to drilling your tapping hole, create a round flat area with a spur-tipped wood drill, of sufficient diameter to accomodate the round body of the swivel when it would be fully screwed home (a couple of quid from Focus/B&Q). This needs only to be deep enough to eliminate the curvature of your stock, and I actually did mine by hand, as it takes so little drilling. This will also give you a nice centre to drill through with your tapping drill (i.e. a drill bit SMALLER than that of the self-cutting thread on your swivel).

Good luck, and don't be put off by the above as it really is very simple!

Chris

lay drill bits(pilot and final hole drill) by the stud screw and mark the depth off on the bits with insulation tape.
    use smaller drill as a pilot so the wood won't split then finish hole off with the final drill.

before you drill away,tap a small dent with a nail or centre punch so the drill locates easier and make sure the drill is square and roughly 90 deg. to the underside of the stock between the pistol grip and butt pad.

front swivel stud should be placed where there is plenty of depth,remove the action before drilling.
    follow pilot drill method as i said earlier.

not to sure but if the 410 has got a front allen key fixing on the furniture, you could get a stud machined that holds both the gun together and holds the sling. hence doing away with the drilling of the wood.
    neil

ive done it to my s410 and i worked it out that you have enough meat at about two inches back from the front and also about two inches from the but. but certainly make sure to take the action away from the stock first though and i pre drilled mine with a 4mm wood drill bit if thats any help and it caused no splits, done a stocks now and its definately a do it yourself job
    jamie
    aa s410 classic .177
    bsa lightning xl .22
    walther cp88 .177

http://s11.invisionfree.com/hunter_world/index.php?

Quote Originally Posted by rick o'shay
    not to sure but if the 410 has got a front allen key fixing on the furniture, you could get a stud machined that holds both the gun together and holds the sling. hence doing away with the drilling of the wood.
    neil
    too much hassle as the stock bolt is recessed and is quite near to the trigger.