Saw recently in wellknown . airgun magazine an article for young folk showing a can of "3-in-1" next to an airgun which kinda disappointed me as this oil is ,in my book a def.no-no if it gets in front of piston and even if it builds up in workings of springer-;iBELieve "3-in-1" contains silicone and molecules of this useful substance can nevertheless "clump" into diamondhard granules interacting under metal-to-metal friction and these indeed scarred c/cylinder of an airsporter I had AS a kid in the early seventies also piston washer lost it's zip drastically and in only a short time after I enthusiastically started dosing the entire action via loading-tap (fascinated by smoke).
Does anyone know for certain if there's a lot of silicone in the above as it's my theory that there are far better gun0oils to use with the spring-gun and those that claim rust-inhibiting properties may or may not contain the silicone molecules-;believe that [ballistol] and [jansonite] are two old-fashioned (shot)gun oils which were formulated before the spaceage and both remarkable for the rust-beating quality which has seen them stand the test of time appearing, as they do in sporting stores of today;[bisley] and [parker-hale] are two good oils which are stressed as purely mineral- only, as well as the budget[napier] and the rarely seen [hoppes] (pron.from polish surname "hop-ee") this trad.gun-oil of the U.S.A. known to be one of the oldtime rust-inhibitors without silicone involved and all extremely hot if they find their way in front of piston in more than the smallest amount tho' a tiny drop does no harm I reckon indeed the first airgun designers were delighted by the diesel phase at the core of the original concept sp-ring-gun circa eighteen sixty-six*regards .torville
*Havilland & Gunn/[quackenbush] nr.1&1/2