Thread: Spring Gun Tuning

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Have used this excellent guide to tune both my hw99s and my very old mk1 hw80k.

When i tuned the hw80 i used paddy's dry lubricant and sprayed the entire compression chamber and piston and left to dry, i lubed the spring with maccari tar as there was a fair recoil and twang when shot before.

The result after the tune was breath taking! it was almost like i was shooting a different gun the recoil was almost non-existent just a nudge in the shoulder and there was also no spring twang at all! Excellent Although i do have a problem with the rifle running a tad hot (which im in the process of sorting!)

I little background info about my hw99s before i let you know how it shoots after the tune, i brought the rifle about a year and a half ago and it always shot well untill about 4 months ago when it wouldn't group at all. I was seriously thinking about getting rid of the rifle as it shot like a piece of crap and the whole barrel and action was rusted/pitted. After much thought i decided to keep the rifle as i liked the weight of the gun and for the fact that i would of got next to nothing for it second hand. So i thought i would tune it and see where i got!

Right once again i followed this excellent guide and proceded to tuning the gun, all went well if i little bit longer than the tune on the 80 as the 99s is a pain in the bum to strip. Once i had the rifle in pieces i striped and de-greased the internals and again used the dry lubricant on the compression chamber and piston. One thing that i had noticed was the the spring guide was a very good fit for the spring so i decided against using maccari tar on the spring/guide and used some moly grease instead.

I re-assembled the rifle and proceded to a couple of test shots, at this point i was in for a shock as the gun was completly transformed from a twangy dieselling crock to something really special! I honestly cant beleive how nice the hw99s is to shoot now (almost as nice as the 80! but not quite ).

I also know that once i put a tin of pellets thorugh the 80 and 99 the lubes should settle into place and the preformance should get better again.

Heres a tip from a newbie: Wear some bloody gloves when using the macccari tar cause it sticks like sh*t to a blanket!

atb,
    Greg
    Last edited by MishKING; 08-06-2007 at 09:49 AM. Reason: typo
    Crosman 2250 .22
    Webley Tracker .22