Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Gun Tuning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Good stuff Mick, but for a final degrease, I like to use Iso-propyly Alcohol. You can't easily get it these days, but ordinary Surgical Spirit is pretty good. It absorbs water much better than commercial-grade meths, and with no powdery residue.

Alan.

Paul Hudson Guest
    I get my IPA from Maplin. They have a store a short walk from where I work, but they also do mail-order if you're having trouble finding a supplier.

Maplin website

Paul.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Just make friends with a nurse, they use gallons of IPA in hospitals - they don't trust the staff with 70% ethanol because they know they'll just drink it, and IPA is used as a convenient surface steriliser.

Quote Originally Posted by franktheferret View Post
    Good stuff Mick, but for a final degrease, I like to use Iso-propyly Alcohol. You can't easily get it these days, but ordinary Surgical Spirit is pretty good. It absorbs water much better than commercial-grade meths, and with no powdery residue.
    Alan.
    Acetone will absorb the water even better and degrease everything in sight but
    it's quite volatile also wouldn't tend to use it on some plastics etc
    frank

"How can anyone be enlightened, when truth is so poorly lit"

Isopropyl alcohol is generally available from pharmacies. It is also volatile (no smoking!) and will evaporate pretty quickly if you leave the lid off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Norton View Post
    Isopropyl alcohol is generally available from pharmacies. It is also volatile (no smoking!) and will evaporate pretty quickly if you leave the lid off.
    No you cant it is not available to the general public, my wife gets it because she lectures and teaches nails and beauty but I have tried to get some without success I believe you can buy it in the USA over the counter
    I AM NOT A NUMBER ! THE PRISONER

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133002

Isopropyl

Just bought a litre of the stuff from an electronics store, about £11 also available in a spray can (can't spell aerosol). Ideal for degreasing as it leaves no residue. Used it on my 97 to fit a V-Mach stage 1 kit, struggled a bit with heavy deposits but did the job.

Stuart
    HW35K 0.22, HW97K 0.22, Theoben Fenman 0.177, AAS410C 0.22, Falcon FN19RS 0.177, Brocock Hunter 0.22, Daystate Mk3 0.177
    Always room for 1 more

steel shim tune

if you,ve got an HW 97/77,thats dieseling this is the way to stop it,get your steel shim make sure you cut it 5mm longer than it needs to be,so you can cut little v,s out of it like a crown, then it will when these v,s are bent inwards form a hole enough for the piston cocking rod ,to pass through, then should form a lip for the spring to keep in place until a few shots seats it into its housing, this shim /stops any unwanted moly getting back into the compression tube on firing, and keeps it where it should be,use this info as part of your tune,as just changing the factory lubes in the HW range of guns makes a big difference, even a simple wipe off the old/ wipe on the new,,molybdenum grease/lithium grease from a car auto spare shop very cheap////and good silicone oil (bisley) for poly seals(plastic type seals)knock your self out!!!

thanks for the IPA tip... yes it's sold over the counter in USA for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by joekid View Post
    ... and good silicone oil (bisley) for poly seals(plastic type seals) ...
    No, absolutely not! Anybody who is using oil and especially silicon oil in the compression chambers of spring guns has been badly informed. Regards ... Geek
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C

HW80 hold sensitivity?

Pardon the slight change of subject from strictly tuning, but I can't start a new thread.

Got a HW80/Beeman R1 question if you would:

Anyone have a 12 ft/lb HW80?

I have a FAC R1 (am here in Calif, USA) that does 7.9 gr Crosman Premier Lites about 1,010 fps.

Problem is, that though it groups accurately, it is hold sensitive in that if I switch from shooting standing with a rest, to sitting with a rest (artillery hold used both), the nice and tight groups move vertically.

At about 35 yds, my sitting with rest groups hit about 1.5 inches higher than my standing w/rest groups.

Can anyone comment on how a 12 ft/lb HW80 is about allowing different holds without the groups moving up/down?

Power is nice, but accuracy is better.

I'd get a 12 ft/lb kit for my Beeman R1 if that would make it more like my AA TX200 (which hits the mark, no matter how I hold it. Dittos for my Beeman R7 and HW55s).

Oddly enough, my Beeman R9 is more tolerant of varying the way I hold it and does not shift the groups like my R1.

Thanks, and good luck on keeping your airgun freedoms. Here in the USA we have the "Democratic" Party that would strip us of our firearms, airguns, water pistols, sharpened pencils, etc if they got the chance.

Robert Hamilton
    California, USA

Paul Hudson Guest

To Robert Hamilton

Hi Robert

I found that dropping the power of a 12fpe HW80 down to 10.5fpe and using 7.9g pellets (Mosquitoes) made a huge difference. The rifle was much more tolerant of different holds, simply because it exhibited MUCH less recoil.

Also, putting the action into a heavier stock further reduced recoil. It's the only 80 I've shot that let me keep the crosshairs on the target throughout the firing cycle.

I've since sold the rifle to Adam77K on here, so it might be worth having a word with him...

Paul.

webley vulcan.22

hi guys,i have been helping a freind today putting in a gas fire,looking for some bits in his shed i spotted a gun case in the corner.he said it was a air gun,i said can i have a look he said yes,so i took it out of the bag it is a webly vulcan.22.it`s been neglected to say the least,stock needs a revarnish,the bluing is pitted with rust,but the barrel bore was clean no rust which surprised me,it has a trigger guard,i think it might be 20 years old but thats a guess,it also had iron sights a one time,i gave it a clean took the crap scope of and put one of my own on it,but i could not get it on the target,when i break the barrel it has bright metal one side and i was wondering weather it had been dropped and the barrel had took a knock,it has a hell of a twang when i fire it,is it worth taking as part payment for the gas fire,can i get barrels moderrators ect, for it if i take it on.any help would be great.
    best regards.

is anyone writing all this down?

They could bring out a book........

Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

tuning

big thanks to hsing-ee for this post good old tuning used this method for years myself good to see somebody had the time to do this to help others ill take my hat off to the guy
    in modern day there are many variations but the basics are still the same
    silicon oil best place for it is
    the bin