Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Gun Tuning

Alright...I've taken the stockand cocking lever off...

Looks like the trigger assembly's WELDED to the bottom of the action

It's obvious that this POS wasn't meant to be dismantled.

GO ON THEN I'll ASK

Quote Originally Posted by BONNIE & CLYDE View Post
    silicon oil best place for it is
    the bin
    The top tuners from the past used to recommend the use Silicon oil on piston heads in the form of SM50.

As you advise against the use of Silicon, I thought I'd ask what you recommended instead ?

All the best Mick
    Last edited by T 20; 31-03-2009 at 09:17 AM.

carld41 is offline I deserve everything I get

Tuning

I like this thread

Silicone oil lubrication for old guns with leather piston washers was recommended. Is that now considered bad? Regards ... Geek
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C

spring guns love hate

Well after about twenty years I am back tinkering and to be honest I am a little dissapointed that things are still frustrating when it comes to the good old spring gun design. Bought a Stealth recently and loved it but needed the "soul" of a spring gun again so off I went and sold the Stealth...

There was I hoping the niggles of 20+ years ago would have been just a memory....same issues that were there years ago are still there Today, bought a brand new HW80 recently and even though still robustly built the internals are a little bit of a disgrace with the cut spring and lucky chance tolerances. With modern machining it should be possible to have super smooth reliable consistency out of the box without resorting to tuning on £300+ guns!

So the tinkering starts and after a polish and lube things improved but then the cut spring needed dealing with, ordered an XS - truly awful too long and harsh then bent like a banana inside 50 shots! Back to the cut HW spring that actually looks better quality than most after market stuff but I cant live with the cut off end.

Then it's a TR ROBB spring...hmmm bit too hot and no facility to cut it at home, the garden gate spring collection grows!

Now it's an SFS spring, really nicely finished but sadly for some unknown reason gives shotgun groups - maybe a tight / loose guide compatability, who knows.

The last chance is going to be a Bonnie & Clyde kit from William all matching and if that goes the garden gate route it's sadly full circle to the PCP again.

Rant over
    Ed - HW77 mk2 .22 + Vmach kit - HW80 mk1 .22 + Vmach kit - Webley Tempest 1979 -
    https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Gungeek View Post
    Silicone oil lubrication for old guns with leather piston washers was recommended. Is that now considered bad? Regards ... Geek

Cheers Geek

I'm still no wiser as to what is used now.

I only asked the question because John Bowkett and many other top tuners used to recomend SM50 or MS50 on Synthetic and O ring piston heads.

Thanks again

All the best Mick

Flannelmeister is offline If I'm not on here I'm in the shed
    Quote Originally Posted by accused View Post

The last chance is going to be a Bonnie & Clyde kit from William all matching and if that goes the garden gate route it's sadly full circle to the PCP again.

Rant over
    A good choice.

I have just fitted one of Bonnie and Clyde's kits as sold by Westy on here to revive an old .177 HW80.

You get a variety of brass washers/spacers for the piston and a couple of power bands to use on the spring guide.

In my case, no power bands and the thickest brass washer plus the thin delrin washer/top hat bearing in the piston provided the desired result.

Gun is now a joy to shoot @ 765 -770fps (where I like the power of my springers to be) with JSB Exacts which equates to around 11 ftlbs.

You won't be disappointed if you buy the kit and use the various lubes supplied correctly - Westy can advise you on what to use where.
    .177 HW97K
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    The top tuners from the past used to recommend the use Silicon oil on piston heads in the form of SM50.

As you advise against the use of Silicon, I thought I'd ask what you recommended instead ?

All the best Mick
    sm50 is fine dont have a break down of what it contains but its not just silicon its a mix ,i used it for years on seals but now i coat with anti scuff like gn paste ,then wet with dryslide type lube ,both high molly content this way every time you cock & fire your rifle it buffs itself in no need to put dryslide in compression tube
    i can send you a sample of my moly lube (dryslide) but much thicker no charge if you pm me your addy
    thanks dave

Quote Originally Posted by BONNIE & CLYDE View Post
    sm50 is fine dont have a break down of what it contains but its not just silicon its a mix ,i used it for years on seals but now i coat with anti scuff like gn paste ,then wet with dryslide type lube ,both high molly content this way every time you cock & fire your rifle it buffs itself in no need to put dryslide in compression tube
    i can send you a sample of my moly lube (dryslide) but much thicker no charge if you pm me your addy
    thanks dave
    Thanks for the info Dave

And thanks for the chat on Sunday, as a born again airgunner things have definitely moved on in the last 20 years.

You have Email by the way

All the best Mick

Thumbs up Cheers Westy..!

I would just like to echo many comments about the Bonnie & Clyde tuning kits now sold by Westy.
    I can only say that the tuning kit is simple to fit and the lube instructions are very good for the relative novice like me.

The results are amazing. I would encourage anyone who is unsure about their ability to fit one of these kits themselves to not worry. It's so gratifying when the rifle feels so much smoother and the consistancy has you thinking the chrono is stuck....!

Thanks again to both David (B&C) and Paul (Westy).

Finners
    Ripley AR5S, EV2 Mk2, S400C, HW98, Walther LGU, Walther LGV Comp-Ultra & Prosports x2..... but can only shoot one at a time..!!

Quote Originally Posted by finners View Post
    I would just like to echo many comments about the Bonnie & Clyde tuning kits now sold by Westy.
    I can only say that the tuning kit is simple to fit and the lube instructions are very good for the relative novice like me.

The results are amazing. I would encourage anyone who is unsure about their ability to fit one of these kits themselves to not worry. It's so gratifying when the rifle feels so much smoother and the consistancy has you thinking the chrono is stuck....!

Finners
    Well, thanks for that Jez - you are more than welcome mate.

Cheers
    Westy

Quote Originally Posted by finners View Post

Finners
    Here! Here! I second that what an outstanding difference these kits make to a springer, they are highly recommended in my eyes, they need to be tested to believe the actual difference they make!
    Top kits from a top fella

Mick.......

Quote Originally Posted by FRENCHI View Post
    Here! Here! I second that what an outstanding difference these kits make to a springer, they are highly recommended in my eyes, they need to be tested to believe the actual difference they make!
    Top kits from a top fella

Mick.......
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Mick ....... It does have to be seen (shot) to be believed doesnt it

Cheers
    Westy

Can of Dri-Slide or tube Molykote GN paste
    Abbey LT2 molybdenum grease
    Abbey SM50 oil
    Abbey Silicone oil

Can anyone tell me where can i purchase these from? JSR, havent got their website back up so. I've a few of my rifles to do in a few weeks time.

Can anyone tell me, does the process of lubing the piston and inner chamber of the rifle defer between a alloy piston head and a synethic (spelling sorry)

Thank you.
    Andrew.

Thumbs up Great thread

I've read this through as its very informative I'm going to try this out on an old SMK i've got lying around the shed somewhere.