Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moderators/silencers on F.A.C rated air rifles

Y GWIR Guest

Moderators/silencers on F.A.C rated air rifles

After reading a previous thread and a couple saying that it must be stated on your fac for you to use a moderator, can anybody else confirm that this is the case. on my f.a.c it has no mention of moderators. I bought my rifle new from Theoben with an evolution moderator already fitted and I couldn't imagine them acting outside of the law. as a matter of course I have removed the silencer until I receive confirmation otherwise.

HandyAndy is offline His Croquembouche is still talked of in hushed tones to this day....
    Chesterfield looking out over them there hill's.

Welcome...

Y GWIR, that is correct, FAC states that the use of a moderator is only permissable when it has been requested and duley granted, for use on the rifle in question.

You must have a mod entered onto your FAC in order to use it legally.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

You will have to put in for a variation if the FAC doesn't list the mod.
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Y GWIR Guest
    Thanks for your replies, I will contact the firearms dept tomorrow and put in for a variation, another £26. I am quite glad I stumbled on that thread, until then I was unaware, I may phone Theoben as well.

Y GWIR Guest
    The thing I can't understand is that it says I am entitled to purchase expanding ammunition of all things, the fac also states the security precautions I must take and the penalties for failing to comply with many other conditions, but there is no wording at all in respect to "moderators". Do different police forces use different fac forms?

No. I think it's called a form 101. That's the code the Stationers Office give it.
    I'm certain it's a national form.

Here's the PDF version of a form 101.

Y GWIR Guest
    Yes that was the same form that I filled in, the forms I was questioning were the actual certificates themselves, handy andy seemed to quote what is written on his form, well that's the impression I get and it most definately does not say the same on my certificate.

Mine has 2 entries.
    1 is for a .22 Theoben air rifle. and the 2nd is for a sound moderator.

Y GWIR Guest
    Thanks snock, I have been in contact with my local firearms department and you are correct, I most definately need a variation although he did say that with air rifles it is a slight "grey area". Some forces like Cleveland do not insist on variations for fac air rifles or section 2 shotguns. The good news is that I should have it approved by this friday. Sorry for wasting a thread on this but on the other hand it may help raise awerness of the law and help other unsuspecting people like me to stay legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Y GWIR
    Thanks snock, I have been in contact with my local firearms department and you are correct, I most definately need a variation although he did say that with air rifles it is a slight "grey area". Some forces like Cleveland do not insist on variations for fac air rifles or section 2 shotguns. The good news is that I should have it approved by this friday. Sorry for wasting a thread on this but on the other hand it may help raise awerness of the law and help other unsuspecting people like me to stay legal.

Not wasted at all.

Not so long ago the use of moderators was not generally allowed. These devices would typically have been used by either snipers or poachers. Neither of which were deemed as attractive participants in shooting society.

Laws have been relaxed, I suspect under the guise of H+S fears. .308 or .270 are bloomin' noisey calibres, and considered noise pollution severe enough to cause ear damage. This isn't really a problem with air rifles, but seems to have slipped through. [Thankfully.]

The expanding ammunition (even with air) is a qualifying condition for shooting animals. It's generally accepted (and IIIRC appears as a condition in the Firearm Guidance) that expanding ammunition must be used when killing animals. This is because it's considered a more humane round. [More likely to cause an 'instant' death.]

Might be worth giving Theoben a call, to query the status in their mind of supplying a mod without a slot on your ticket. Although legally, the supply of one will not have been illegal, the use of it will have been.

I believe you can yourself, enter the mod on the FAC when you get it returned. Your F/D will confirm this one way or the other.
    To be good, one must do good.

As a side note, shrouds such as those fitted to the MFR and S10 'bull barrel' are deemed to be part of the barrel assembly and don't require a slot (well not in West Mids and Warks anyhow).
    I'm telling you it moved!

Y GWIR Guest
    Final conclusion ( for me anyway). I took your advice and phoned Theoben, their reply " on factory f.a.c models the moderator is loctited into position making it an integral part of the rifle, we have sought agreement with most police forces although some will not allow this". I phoned my police force back and reitterated what theoben had told me. The key word is integral part of the rifle, on hearing this they have allowed me to use the moderator without a variation and have saved me £26.

Quote Originally Posted by Y GWIR
    Final conclusion ( for me anyway). I took your advice and phoned Theoben, their reply " on factory f.a.c models the moderator is loctited into position making it an integral part of the rifle, we have sought agreement with most police forces although some will not allow this". I phoned my police force back and reitterated what theoben had told me. The key word is integral part of the rifle, on hearing this they have allowed me to use the moderator without a variation and have saved me £26.
    I'm sitting here doing 'smug' at the moment.

Well done fella.

Firstly for coming here and asking.

Second for pulling your finger out to resolve the problem yourself.

To be good, one must do good.

Not neccessary if mod cant be unscrewed and removed, I usually tel anyone getting FAC or variation to included a moderator though as it costs nothing extra at the time

Baz