Thread: Stalking

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs down Stalking

Hi all,

I was just wondering how you guys actually stalk quarry? I have stalked a few rabbits, but i am not consistent!
    i know for a fact it's my technique. Can any one give me a STALKING 101??

Shaun

I'll start us off, always try to stalk downwind of your quarry.

Someone else may be along to add another tip but I dont think you'll get 101 of them

As I said on t'other thread........

It's an acquired technique.
    There's no hard and fast way to do it.
    Be aware that rabbits haven't got great eyesight, colour perception or brains, but they have fantastic hearing and sense of smell and are very adept at spotting movement.
    The only sure way to stalk is very quietly (watching foot falls) and out of sight. This is not always possible, if you do spook them 9/10 chance they'll be back within 30 mins. Like a few of the guys have said, I find the most effective method at the moment is to stalk, spook and ambush.

Simon Smith Guest
    Why is it so hard to stalk rabbits when creeping silently, wearing cammo, staying downwind and carrying a gun. And so easy when stomping along, wearing blue jeans and white teeshirt, accompanied by lunatic dog and NOT carrying a gun

not done any of this as yet so eager to get any info

Simon Smith Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hunterforce
    not done any of this as yet so eager to get any info
    The cows arent there at the moment Tony, you can come and practice on our bunnies

Had an interesting pair of rabbits last night around dusk.
    I stalked to within 50Yds but had to climb over the gate, soon as I landed number 1 disappeared. I walked slowly to 25 Yds from its last position and sat. 5 minutes later it shot out of a hedge 60 Yds away, crossed the field then stopped by a second rabbit approx 80 Yds away. Suddenly something spooked them both and they ran towards me until about 50 Yds. I was losing light fast so decided to try a stalk to about 30 Yds, I got to 35 when the farthest one dived into the hedge and the original target bolted the other way into the middle of the field. It stopped 40 Yds away so not to look a gift bunny in the mouth, I took the shot from there. A combination of stalking and ambush and a lot of patience.

steve2807 Guest

hi shaun

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun
    Hi all,

I was just wondering how you guys actually stalk quarry? I have stalked a few rabbits, but i am not consistent!
    i know for a fact it's my technique. Can any one give me a STALKING 101??

Shaun
    shaun its easier on my shoot as i have walls and bushes around the fields.
    You will see a big defference when the ground is damp on your shoot and a lot quieter, at the moment its like corn flakes underfoot. there is NOT a lot wrong with your technique. you will now be finding the hot spots and the little clearings where they sit munching the grass. i would tend to stalk along the slope of the bank that way the bunnies won't see your outline and your eyes are at ground level. when i came with you this is when i spotted the ears against the skyline. give it a go and let me know. stick to the paths when dry and get close once you spotted them. taking a slow step at a time and stopping when they are alert then moving when the head is down. i always try to walk straight at them as there is less chance of them seeing you move.

we will have to have another day out soon