Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stalking

Thumbs down Stalking

Hi all,

I was just wondering how you guys actually stalk quarry? I have stalked a few rabbits, but i am not consistent!
    i know for a fact it's my technique. Can any one give me a STALKING 101??

Shaun

I'll start us off, always try to stalk downwind of your quarry.

Someone else may be along to add another tip but I dont think you'll get 101 of them

As I said on t'other thread........

It's an acquired technique.
    There's no hard and fast way to do it.
    Be aware that rabbits haven't got great eyesight, colour perception or brains, but they have fantastic hearing and sense of smell and are very adept at spotting movement.
    The only sure way to stalk is very quietly (watching foot falls) and out of sight. This is not always possible, if you do spook them 9/10 chance they'll be back within 30 mins. Like a few of the guys have said, I find the most effective method at the moment is to stalk, spook and ambush.

Simon Smith Guest
    Why is it so hard to stalk rabbits when creeping silently, wearing cammo, staying downwind and carrying a gun. And so easy when stomping along, wearing blue jeans and white teeshirt, accompanied by lunatic dog and NOT carrying a gun

not done any of this as yet so eager to get any info

Simon Smith Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hunterforce
    not done any of this as yet so eager to get any info
    The cows arent there at the moment Tony, you can come and practice on our bunnies

Had an interesting pair of rabbits last night around dusk.
    I stalked to within 50Yds but had to climb over the gate, soon as I landed number 1 disappeared. I walked slowly to 25 Yds from its last position and sat. 5 minutes later it shot out of a hedge 60 Yds away, crossed the field then stopped by a second rabbit approx 80 Yds away. Suddenly something spooked them both and they ran towards me until about 50 Yds. I was losing light fast so decided to try a stalk to about 30 Yds, I got to 35 when the farthest one dived into the hedge and the original target bolted the other way into the middle of the field. It stopped 40 Yds away so not to look a gift bunny in the mouth, I took the shot from there. A combination of stalking and ambush and a lot of patience.

dont mind cows really thats real kind simon i might just hold you to that, when you next out??

Simon Smith Guest
    Probably tomorrow afternoon, I want to try sticking a couple of bits of net up in the morning so I can get closer before I have to crawl.
    Is your mobile No still the same? if so I will ring if I am going out.

Simon Smith Guest
    But But But

Elmer is my hero

And yes I am a nob In fact I am east surrey rep

http://www.nobs.org.uk

SNAKEBITE is offline Somebody must love me.......
    Stalking is the biggest buzz of it all for me. I like to lay up and take a perfect shot on an un suspecting bunny but stalking is the great leveler.
    It turns it from a "playstation game" to a proper hunt.
    I AM NOT RACIST, I HAVE A COLOURED TELLY

this may or may not be interesting but here goes

When im out with Jester i tend to walk at a fairly normal speed and just try to be a little more quiet than usual. We pass where the bunnies are sitting and sure enough down the hole they go.
    Then i get myself comfy and let jester off to sit on a fencepost or some other perch next to me and spark up a dooby. By the time it is finished a few have come back out of their holes and shortly afterwards Jester has decided which one he will fly at and take off (missing so far but one day he will catch one) I recall him and the process starts again and sure enough after about 20 mins they are out again but a lot more jumpy.

When i am out with the air rifle and trying to move a lot more slowly and quietly (probably not as quiet as i should be but the creaking bones at my age make it a little tricky) they tend to go into the hole quicker than when im with Jester and take a lot longer to come back out.
    Last time out with the rifle i tried the same approach as if i had Jester with me and sure enough they didnt run off so quick and came out a lot quicker.

Conclusion:
    if you are moving normally they dont see you as a threat so just nip into the hole until you are gone as a "just in case" but if you are trying to be stealthy they recognise the threat and act accordingly.

So, if like me you arent very good at stalking and prefer to wait for them instead try not creeping to your sniping point and just walk normally instead as they seem to come out quicker
    Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day.

Give him a religion and he will starve to death whilst praying for a fish

how did it go simon?? any good??

Simon Smith Guest
    No good at all

Neighbours dog went mental and scared most of them off just as I was getting started, then the cows in the next field thundered over scaring the rest.

Then I sat hidden and downwind behind my net for ages and didn't see a single bunny

Theres plenty there, just not playing today. Also getting a bit tricky as the grass is getting too long to see them.

Still theres always tomorrow.

dont wash you shooting gear....you dont need to, your not gonna pull in a the middle of a field......no aftershave is good too.....give up smoking....but mostly look where you are stepping, they have big ears (noddy was to tight to pay the ransom)!