Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EV2 General advice

Lash13 Guest

EV2 General advice

Hi Guys..just wondered if any of you have any EV2 advice on improving the pellet grouping. I have just bought one which although good on the chrono is not exactly doing pellet on pellet at 25yds. Just wondered about choice of pellet, lubed or not....any quirks they have. Any other advice for getting the best out of them.
    Cheers Lee

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Lee,
    get on to Matt asap mate, I'm sure he'll help all he can. I've witnessed that rifle doing far far better than it is now.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Lash13 Guest
    Hi Sam...Its not a big problem, I actually did quite well with it today. I just feel like its not spot on and I suspect its pellet choice or something. The chrono string is good so its not the gun. I really like how it feels to shoot.
    Lee

Lubed JSB 4.52s seem to go OK. They do seem to like a clean barrel, ie clean after every session, and put a few through before the next serious shoot.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Lash13 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan
    Lubed JSB 4.52s seem to go OK. They do seem to like a clean barrel, ie clean after every session, and put a few through before the next serious shoot.

Gus
    Ahh thanks, the clean Barrel seems to be something mentioned a lot.
    Lee

Yes, barrel will need cleaning at least once every tin. However if you do a really enthusiastic clean - like using a pull-through that needs all your strength to get it out of the barrel (!) - then be prepared to use fifty shots or so to get it to group.

The EV2 has a probe to seat the pellet but this does not make it immune to changes in how you load the pellet into the breech. If you are not consistent here you will get looser groups.

If in doubt, try a smaller head size pellet. Bismags are tight in mine and don't group at all well. JSB 4.52's are normally its best diet, depending on the batch, but sometimes I will get marginally better groups with 4.51's.

Finally, a mechanical check. Is the grub screw that holds the muzzle brake onto the front collar properly tight? This has a point on the end of it that sits in a vee groove cut in the support stud.

PS what's the build date? The firing valve was altered at the beginning of 2005 and AA were doing a free upgrade when the early rifles went in for service or repair. The new valve is much more consistent and uses a lot less air per shot.

Rich

baxterbasics Guest
    From what i have seen at the club:

Bore snake/pull through every few hundred shots
    aa/jsb 4.51 or 4.52 sized

Quote Originally Posted by Lash13
    Hi Guys..just wondered if any of you have any EV2 advice on improving the pellet grouping. I have just bought one which although good on the chrono is not exactly doing pellet on pellet at 25yds. Just wondered about choice of pellet, lubed or not....any quirks they have. Any other advice for getting the best out of them.
    Cheers Lee
    Get someone else to shoot it for you and the groups should tighten up

Pete

Lee,

Sorry, if you're having probs with rifle...

Like I said to you befgore I never shot it that much but have had it grouping very well out to 55 yards, don't want you feeling it aint right so will offer to take it back if you want?

Only thing I can suggest is to try a differnt batch of pellets.

Let me know if you want money back.

regards,

Matt

Lash13 Guest
    Hi Matt....I didn't mean to worry you, I love the Rifle....I just need to get to know it, thats all. In actual fact I had a really good day with it...got a second place at Shepreth on Sunday....I just wondered what other peoples experiences of the EV were.
    Lee

Lash13 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky
    Get someone else to shoot it for you and the groups should tighten up

Pete
    I was waiting for that Pete

Mine likes a gentle hold a bit like a springer and Dave Harrison has found he same with his.

Charlie

Lash13 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by morose
    Mine likes a gentle hold a bit like a springer and Dave Harrison has found he same with his.

Charlie
    Thats interesting, I've never considered that a PCP would need to be held gently. Strangely, when shooting in the garden from the bench I wasn't always hitting exactly the same point, but on a course it was proving very effective.
    Lee

Dave's is a left hander, is yours?

Rich

Lash13 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    Dave's is a left hander, is yours?

Rich
    No Right handed Rich...why?
    Lee