Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone please explain...

Unhappy Someone please explain...

Hi,

Can someone help clear up the confusion i have with using dive bottles to fill a gun?

Im looking at buying a 12lt 232 bar bottle from uttings.com but want to make sure its the correct type. My gun is a BSA Hornet, the fill amount is 232 so would this bottle would be the correct type?

If i bought the bottle how would i know when my gun was full if there is only one guage on the bottle (none on the gun), or would this guage show how much is in the gun when connected?

and finally..When filling the gun, would i simply connect the gun up and then keep filling until the gauge on the bottle reads 232?

sorry if the questions are not that clear....to be honest i find this stuff pretty intimidating.

Thanks.

Sorry if the questi

Barrie_G is offline It could be worse...............................
    You want a bottle with as high a pressure as you can get filled (the higher the pressure the more air it has inside ) the guage will tell you the pressure of the rifle not what is left in the bottle, and finally yes, you just connect the gun then fill till the guage on the bottle says 232 bar

HTH

A, if you can get a 300bar bottle lasts longer between fills

the gauge on the bottle will tell you how
    much you are putting into the gun
    just take it nice and slow

or wait till you move to devon there are loads of clubs
    anyone will be happy to show you

where in Devon are you moving to?

allan
    Rude Fat Dog 10/22Browning Buckmark pistol

Thanks for the help

Hey thanks for the help guys, you cleared it all up!!!

Thanks again,

(im moving to Kingsbridge in South Devon, family down there...great place Devon)

Ben.

Generally speaking, any commonly avalable diving bottle with standard size fittings can be used to fill any precharged rifle.

The bottle will come with a hose and gauge, and the rifle will come with the filling adaptor. All adaptors and hoses will have the same 1/8 BSP fitting, so there are no compatibility issues.

You screw the adaptor into the end of the hose (making sure it's airtight), and you're ready to go.

Basically, you attach the filling adaptor on the hose to the rifle, and gently open the valve on the bottle. As the air flows from the bottle it will pressurise the hose and then the rifle, with the line pressure being measured on the gauge.

You allow the pressure to rise until it hits the fill pressure of your gun (around 200 bar, I'd imagine) then shut the valve off on the bottle and release the pressure trapped in the hose by opening the bleed screw on the bottle.

Nip up the bleed screw again (so you don't forget it's open next time you fill ), disconnect the rifle and it's ready to go.

Filling to above the working pressure of the gun will result in low initial velocities and potential damage, so keep an eye on the gauge. Just take it nice and slowly the first few times and you'll get the hang of it.

The filler on the gun has a one way valve in it, so the gauge will only read the pressure in the gun once the pressure in the line is equal to, or larger than the pressure in the rifle.

When you open the valve and the gauge can no longer reach the rifle's working pressure, it's time to refill the bottle.

Rather than a large capacity, fairly low pressure bottle like a 232bar 12 litre, I'd be more inclined to go for a smaller, higher pressure (300bar) bottle as it'll be lighter and you'll get more fills..

Hope this clears things up

Edited to highlight the amount of posts that have appeared while I was constructing my essay

BENJIPIE
    good clubs in South Devon, not nearly as good as North Devon
    but they do try

allan

Quote Originally Posted by Benjipie
    Hi,

Can someone help clear up the confusion i have with using dive bottles to fill a gun?

Im looking at buying a 12lt 232 bar bottle from uttings.com but want to make sure its the correct type. My gun is a BSA Hornet, the fill amount is 232 so would this bottle would be the correct type?

If i bought the bottle how would i know when my gun was full if there is only one guage on the bottle (none on the gun), or would this guage show how much is in the gun when connected?

and finally..When filling the gun, would i simply connect the gun up and then keep filling until the gauge on the bottle reads 232?

sorry if the questions are not that clear....to be honest i find this stuff pretty intimidating.

Thanks.

Sorry if the questi
    If you are trying to fill to 232 bar then you would be very much better off with a 300 bar cylinder.

Assuming your spanking new superdooper cylinder is freshly charged to 232 bar and you connect to the gun, sadly you wont even get to 232 bar in the rifle.

The gauge shows the pressure in the hose between the bottle's valve and the rifles one-way valve.

As Allan says, open the dive bottle valve a tiny amount and very slowly.

The pressure on the gauge will rise as the pressure in the hose increases.

When the pressure in the hose exceeds the pressure in the rifle you may hear a "click" as the rifles one way valve is overcome and the pressure in the rifle starts to increase. You may need to fractionally open the valve a bit more at this point.

When the gauge reads the required fill pressure, shut off the dive bottle valve and open the bleed valve which de-pressurises the hose and allows you to get the fill adaptor off.

I'll pm you my phone number so you can ring if you dont understand any of this. Good luck!
    Your work is both good and original. Unfortunately where it is good it is not original, and where it is original it is not good.

Thanks theboymike and Bingo_Beans....

allanb, i've heard there are strange goings on way up North outside the shire!!

You can find a list of clubs here. Your choice is really Buckley Wood, South Devon and Dartmoor Marksmen. Our regional web site has fallen by the wayside but there is some info on this page but it is three years out of date and Buckley Wood have moved to a different ground.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by allanb
    BENJIPIE
    good clubs in South Devon, not nearly as good as North Devon
    but they do try

allan

HEY

the blue barrels made me say it

allan

Quote Originally Posted by allanb
    the blue barrels made me say it

allan
    More of a south west Devon man myself

Will be visiting the blue barrels soon though

always welcome Steve

allan

one more thing...

Once ive fulled the gun, is it okay to leave it full?

Thanks

yes mate leave it full

allan