Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there any skill in HFT ?

Is there any skill in HFT ?

A loaded question I know, and more specifically it's aimed at the classic HFT prone position with your rifle rested on the peg.

I've been having a little discussion on the Polish forum about it and I've also heard quite a few people criticise it in the UK as well.

The main criticism seems to be that it's like benchresting and so only proves how accurate your gun is.

Now I've never shot a benchrest competition (although I'm sure that people that do would be offended at the suggestion that their shooting discipline requires no skill).

I've got my own opinion's on this, but I'd be interested to hear your opinions on the subject too.

So there you go : HFT Prone is like bench resting - discuss.

zooankski Guest
    when out hunting you would use a steady if possible so its no different-the rules are fine the way they are imho

LagomorphHunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian.Samson
    A loaded question I know, and more specifically it's aimed at the classic HFT prone position with your rifle rested on the peg.

I've been having a little discussion on the Polish forum about it and I've also heard quite a few people criticise it in the UK as well.

The main criticism seems to be that it's like benchresting and so only proves how accurate your gun is.

Now I've never shot a benchrest competition (although I'm sure that people that do would be offended at the suggestion that their shooting discipline requires no skill).

I've got my own opinion's on this, but I'd be interested to hear your opinions on the subject too.

So there you go : HFT Prone is like bench resting - discuss.
    Sadly it does depend on skill otherwise I'd be getting the top scores too.

Choice of shot, hold under / over, compensation for breeze, squeezing rather than yanking the trigger, zeroing your rifle properly, etc etc.

Ey up Marc, I didn't intend this to become a thread about changing any rules etc.

It's really about whether there's any skill in a prone shot. Like I said, I've got my opinion on it, but I'd like to hear other peoples opinion before I chip in with mine.

I think you'll find that's why the lane markers at UKAHFT events are now tall wooden stakes rather than short pegs. The short steel pegs we used to use at LV make great monopods but are now relegated to use only for pistol comps.

Jonathan

It's just as stable to grip the peg with your hand and rest the rifle on your fist (especially if you have a shooting glove on) - so a longer peg doesn't make much difference for the sake of this discussion.

Are you saying that you agree that there's no skill involved with resting your gun on the peg then Jonathan? Or are you saying that there's no skill with a shorter peg but there is with a longer peg

Quote Originally Posted by zooankski
    when out hunting you would use a steady if possible so its no different-the rules are fine the way they are imho
    Seconded (even though I only got 35/60 at Redfearn )

Cam

of course, all other things being equal a shot taken prone from a solid rest is going to be easier than a kneeling shot which is (for most people) going to be easier than a standing shot.

But the fact that rarely we see perfect scores suggests to me that there is sufficient difficulty in the courses to differentiate the great shots (like yourself Brian) from the good and the not-so-good.

Remember also, that shooting is very much a minority sport, and one that it is often misunderstood by the public at large - we need accessible competitions such as HFT to pull new people in - to let them feel the satisfaction of knocking a few targets down - and then try harder to get those more difficult, off-the-peg shots.

Once in a while the course setters get it wrong and the balance is out and we do see several perfect scores - but I think that is few and far between. And then the shootout sorts the great shots out by the time it gets to the kneelers or standers.

Haakon

I don't think anyone wants to give you an answer to your question Bri

Any type of shooting requires some skill - the act of pulling the trigger is one of the hardest things to master in shooting and every position requires that to be done if you want the pellet to come out of the barrel

Is there skill involved in prone off a peg - yes. Is that skill as great as free kneeling, free standing or even free prone - no.

Dave.

I do love these type of posts just before a comp

On the format it states pegs should be out of the ground around 300mm this is to stop guns being rested on top.

And normally the moaning comes from people who don't do that well.

Pete
    Last edited by sparky; 05-05-2006 at 07:38 AM.

To add to Petes post, when hunting most shots are rested either against a tree, fence post or something similar so having a peg to lean against IMO is not bench rested as the stock is not on top of the peg.

Could say the same about FT when sitting and wearing a shooting glove, that could be classed as bench rested.

Bloody stupid question this smacks of sh !t stirring

Nev

http://veteransinaction.org.uk My favourite Military Charity

http://nevsniggles.com Handyman Services

Quote Originally Posted by sparky
    I do love these type of posts just before a comp

On the format it states pegs should be out of the ground around 300mm this is to stop guns being rested on top.

What i have found and again this not knocking FT in any way, but the major gripe with pegs seem to come from some FT shooters, not saying HFT shooters don't moan about this but i haven't heard any first hand.

And normally the moaning comes from people who don't do that well.

Pete
    I'm going to moan Pete, I think prone should be banned and all shots taken kneeling, cuz I don't mind kneelers!
    I'm telling you it moved!

steven is offline Whist - it's the new rock'n'roll, innit?
    I find sitting on a bean bag (not permitted in HFT, I know) the most comfortable and stable position.
    Prone is second, but depends on what you need to lay on: tree stumps, 14" deep mud, or a 40 deg. incline rather changes the situation!
    Kneeling is third (sometimes second - see above)
    Standing? In my case this is a euphemism for missing!

I have been to some events (not UKAHFT) and they take you out of the "comfort zone" this forces you into steadying the rifle off your elbows.
    personally I dont mind either.
    Last edited by The Pie Man; 05-05-2006 at 01:55 PM.
    CS1000-HW97K
    HW 75 .177
    HW 45 Black Star

Quote Originally Posted by stevew71
    I'm going to moan Pete, I think prone should be banned and all shots taken kneeling, cuz I don't mind kneelers!
    Poof! you just don't like lying in the mud

Nev

http://veteransinaction.org.uk My favourite Military Charity

http://nevsniggles.com Handyman Services