Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Farmer or Poor Cow?

Bad Farmer or Poor Cow?

Just been reading Airgunner Magazine,June 2006. An article by Ian Barnett.Who was asked,and I quote, 'to shoot a family of Magpie's of a Cows back' Amazed I read on,and I quote again, 'they were feeding of a raw abscess on the poor animals tail!' I hate Magpie's as much as the next person,but should'nt the cow have been brought in,or at least treated by someone.Should the Airgun Hunter,Mr. Barnett have not 'done something' about this? I can see its a tricky one,not wanting to upset the Farmer, and losing a shoot,but I do feel sorry for the Cow.I'v tried e-mailing their Letters page,but its not working,To enquire if the shot was taken while the Magpie was still on the cows back! They have a young readership,and I think the whole article stinks.

Opposite the cow-field, just outside Dover, Kent
    In the same publication there was a letter from a man purporting to have made a silencer for his pcp from a hairspray can and some sound absorbing foam.... it's better than Viz used to be !
    Good deals with Mark3HuntsmanSam, Cannon Fodder, Guy, Jon, Peddy, Negotiator, Devon Shooter, Ninapuppy, Custard 1, Bob Brown, TopDog, Dave The Frame, / Sam99, Ballie, Nautilus21, edbear2, eredel, among others

I agree,but I think there might be a legal thing here,the way people bang on about Animal Cruelty,I think the Farmer should have got the Vet.Thats if its true anyway?

The home made silencers are out there, complete with fibre strands hanging out of the end as we recovered from the resounding "CRACK" the rifle it was attached to made.......

Not seen the Mag, but I hope the cow topic was dealt with well?

Richard
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.

sore

If the farmer called in the vet for every cut, sore or case of fly he'd soon go bust.
    He should treat it quickly though with some antiseptic spray which usually clears it up fast.

When you see magpies on the back of stock are they looking for parasites to eat or using the animal as a mobile observation post?

Quote Originally Posted by Dimage
    Woody, if such a situation arises in your life can we all have invites for when you approach the farmer?

I'd lay odds on you being fed through a silage spreader feet first

Stick to airguns and leave the farming to farmers Don't interfere unless you see an animal in obvious distress.
    Nice friendly first post...

why are magpies so bad?

Quote Originally Posted by norbert
    why are magpies so bad?
    They carry a strain of salmonella and they rip song birds nests apart..
    BSA R10 .22..... Gunpower Stealth .22..... Crosman Nightstalker .177

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/3161/dsc00250fq1.jpg

alowen Guest
    Woody, if such a situation arises in your life can we all have invites for when you approach the farmer?

Stick to airguns and leave the farming to farmers Don't interfere unless you see an animal in obvious distress.
    Whilst i agree with 12"phut im also inclined to agree with you....

When I first posted this, I (half) saw the funny side of the comic trying to 'make a story'. But reading the replies I'm a bit amazed to read what I have ,my uncle is a farm manager in the Pickering area and he cant believe a farmer would go about things in this way.How can an animal not be in distress, if a 'Whole family of Magpies are eating an absess' from a live beast? OK, you may not need an expensive Vet, Farmers do good first aid,but surely an 'Airgun Hunter' cant be your first thought on the matter??? (Shame we did'nt see the whole family feeding on the Cows back,just one,like everyone see's,when there out and about,eating bugs etc.) Perhaps in the next Issue we will read 'Magpie's eat baby's face' Police call in the 'Airgun Hunter from Airgunner Magazine,Instead of moving Baby? P.S. Bet I'm in for it now?

Quote Originally Posted by mickyh
    Perhaps in the next Issue we will read 'Magpie's eat baby's face' Police call in the 'Airgun Hunter from Airgunner Magazine,Instead of moving Baby? P.S. Bet I'm in for it now?

Judging by the amount of lifes experts we have on the BBS I'm amazed the Police don't call us more often..... I mean, collectively speaking, is there anything we don't know?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Pierre
    Judging by the amount of lifes experts we have on the BBS I'm amazed the Police don't call us more often..... I mean, collectively speaking, is there anything we don't know?
    Personally I don't know everything - that is my wife's job.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerpalmer
    Personally I don't know everything - that is my wife's job.

but you know your wife....... ergo.......

And I know were my next £3.10 is not going!!!! Thanks for your replies Lads.

OH DEAR...