Thread: Stupid questions

Stupid questions

Oh dear, I think the heat is getting to me. Every now and then a stupid (or is it?) question or saying comes to mind; such as:

Am I going to wear the lenses on my scope out by looking through them too often?

Using a scope in bright sunshine wears the lenses out faster than looking through the lenses at dusk. True or False?

My springer is not performing as it should. Has it run out of air?

Any others?

Cheers, Phil

They sound like good excuses for missed shots at an HFT competition

All of the above.

Mad dogs and Englishmen out in the midday sun.

Scope coatings are chemical compositions so sunlight and heat may or may not effect them over time. Depends on how stable a chemical they are. Glass is a liquid so will flow over hundreds of years.
    Don't think you will be around long enough to notice the changes.
    Dirt and dust from the atmosphere does more harm to lenses as does cleaning. I clean mine once a year or when obviously dirty.

Bright sunlight and you can get a different sight picture from the glare off the target. How the sunlight casts over a scope/range can have an effect too. Reading mirage at long range is an art in itself. I prefer to zero on an overcast day as I get a better result and long term zero from the exercise.

A hot metal rifle may well shoot differently to a less hot rifle. Wood may shrink or distort, just as it does when soaked. Air density and moisture content all add something. Tiny differences add up.

It might be hot but there is usually a breeze which needs reading.

Basically just because its sunny doesn't make shooting accurately any easier. It brings its own problems. Mine is that I can get so relaxed with all that heat on my back I can nod off at the trigger Especially bad affliction on Century Range at Bisley when the targetry is slow

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Oh dear, I think the heat is getting to me. Every now and then a stupid (or is it?) question or saying comes to mind; such as:

Am I going to wear the lenses on my scope out by looking through them too often?

Using a scope in bright sunshine wears the lenses out faster than looking through the lenses at dusk. True or False?

My springer is not performing as it should. Has it run out of air?

Any others?

Cheers, Phil
    My pre-charge air rifle is broken it won't fill past 160bar from a 300bar cylinder...

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Mad dogs and Englishmen out in the midday sun.

Scope coatings are chemical compositions so sunlight and heat may or may not effect them over time. Depends on how stable a chemical they are. Glass is a liquid so will flow over hundreds of years.
    Don't think you will be around long enough to notice the changes.
    Dirt and dust from the atmosphere does more harm to lenses as does cleaning. I clean mine once a year or when obviously dirty.

Bright sunlight and you can get a different sight picture from the glare off the target. How the sunlight casts over a scope/range can have an effect too. Reading mirage at long range is an art in itself. I prefer to zero on an overcast day as I get a better result and long term zero from the exercise.

A hot metal rifle may well shoot differently to a less hot rifle. Wood may shrink or distort, just as it does when soaked. Air density and moisture content all add something. Tiny differences add up.

It might be hot but there is usually a breeze which needs reading.

Basically just because its sunny doesn't make shooting accurately any easier. It brings its own problems. Mine is that I can get so relaxed with all that heat on my back I can nod off at the trigger Especially bad affliction on Century Range at Bisley when the targetry is slow
    Are you sure about that?
    Purbeck Field Target Club.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by tmstech View Post
    Are you sure about that?
    Super-cooled liquid I beleive. I need to check now......

Edit: Nope, its an amorphous solid. Ie somewhere between the two
    My ignore list: ​<Hidden information>

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-glass-is...oyed-496190894
    Purbeck Field Target Club.

There you go ... I wondered when science would raise its head and come into it.

Ahh but... to continue as I started: If I spend 6 hours a day looking through my scope, will the lenses wear out three times as quickly compared to only looking through them for 2 hours?

Or is the answer 42 ... or blowing in the wind ...

Cheers, Phil

Ahh but... to continue as I started: If I spend 6 hours a day looking through my scope, will the lenses wear out three times as quickly compared to only looking through them for 2 hours?

Cheers, Phil
    My fishing boats registration was PZ882 which is 21 x 42, half the square of the meaning of life!

I will answer your question with another: Do you have any special powers? Laser beam emitting eyes in particular

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post

Very old pains of glass, or large very old mirrors I have been told are thicker at the bottom. Must be the lead in the old glass?

And yes, I have an extremely long list, for the use of, for my misses. The difference between a good shot and a marksman is that the latter has run out of excuses and starts to hit stuff. Modern Ballistic Software is the best excuse ap going.

BigEars Guest

Cheers, Phil
    Have you taken blinking time into account?

I think wear on iron sights may be more than on scopes because as time goes on, the more I use them the slightly more inaccurate they become. How many sightings/aimings are iron sights designed for?

Quote Originally Posted by Shootfish View Post
    I think wear on iron sights may be more than on scopes because as time goes on, the more I use them the slightly more inaccurate they become. How many sightings/aimings are iron sights designed for?
    When I was a kid I had Space Invaders for my Atari. It says 112 games on the box, I thought that was the maximum times I could play it so I was rationing myself!

[IMG]capture software[/IMG]