Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P
I've never once been out and had a rat 'present' itself in any shape or form mate, some ran out from under my feet and sat a few inches away - others sat on piles of rubbish 40 odd yards away ( impossible to get nearer to due to...that's right, more piles of rubbish and rats ).
So show me a rifle that's zeroed at these maximum ranges and therefore able to pin point the small areas of head/heart etc and I'll buy 100 of them.
We were paid to get rid of rats from three refuse sites, quite lucky I suppose. So after 2 years of trying out various kit and rejecting a good deal of it, we came up with the ideal stuff for our needs - but even with gear tailored for the job, you're still going to get runners or have mishaps - fact. Another fact is, choosing a single shot, .22 rifle will definately cut down on the runners and help you to deal with the ones that are 'struggling'.
a single shot may well be what you prefer and i definatly know what your talking about on reloading mags but to say a rat has never presented itself means surely thet you have never ambushed them. if you do this normally they are not in a huge rush to run so you can place your shot roughly. mishaps are a definate but they can be limited by shooting at vital organs rather than gut. i personally would prefer i missed 10 shots than have 10 runners if that means my bag is smaller so be it. a rat may be vermin but it deserves to die in dignety. this is only my opinion. if your happy to do it then fair enough.