Thread: Ideal rat shooting rig?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ideal rat shooting rig?

I've been doing a bit of rat shooting lately and enjoying it immensely. When you live on the coast, rat shooting opportunities are never in short supply. However, I'm getting fed-up of hefting a full length Axsor around in the car or my friend's Trooper. I'm also finding that even FAC .22 doesn't stop these things with centre mass hits. I have .22 and .22WMR rifles, but they're also full-length, not silenced and I often shoot around rocks, livestock, inside buildings etc. where rimfires aren't ideal. Likewise a shotgun would be a bit on the loud side (unless silenced) and, worse still, take the fun out of the game.

What I'd like to know is what would you recommend for ratting in confined spaces? I'm looking for something compact and hard hitting with a decent number of shots per fill or self contained. I don't care whether or not it's FAC. A calibre larger than .22 might be in order. I've never taken a shot at more than 20 yards.
    Last edited by Chris St. MH; 11-05-2006 at 12:07 PM.
    Good deals with: Baz, foxshooter, vbull, leadhead, Gary C/Slim Shady, coddy, rixy, David, Baldie, BoNeS, mjonho, Reeco.